Big East Conference Realignment v2018

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Conference Realignment v2018

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:39 pm

scoscox wrote:Fun fact: the big east tournament is a one and done knockout tournament. You’re not doing any favors for the logic behind your ranking

Reading is fundamental: "I'm of the opinion that championships trump all."

Now, you don't have to agree with that statement, you're obviously entitled to your own opinion. However, to suggest that my logic is contradictory is foolish.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:41 pm

XU85 wrote:Dude:

I usually stay away from the expansion threads because the league is great as is. You post like a UD fan. If you are a Xavier fan, you are the only one I have heard advocating for expansion.

That's what I was thinking when I saw the rankings with Dayton on the same level as Seton Hall and Providence. Seriously...only a Dayton fan would try to slip that one into this discussion on a board of actual Big East fans.

And the argument that Dayton and VCU would make the conference "arguably more competitive than the one we have now." Dayton is 10-11 right now and VCU is already 0-2 against the Big East this year. Not sure how that makes the conference more competitive.
Savannah Jay

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:54 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:

I usually stay away from the expansion threads because the league is great as is. You post like a UD fan. If you are a Xavier fan, you are the only one I have heard advocating for expansion.

That's what I was thinking when I saw the rankings with Dayton on the same level as Seton Hall and Providence. Seriously...only a Dayton fan would try to slip that one into this discussion on a board of actual Big East fans.

And the argument that Dayton and VCU would make the conference "arguably more competitive than the one we have now." Dayton is 10-11 right now and VCU is already 0-2 against the Big East this year. Not sure how that makes the conference more competitive.

Pretty sure Dayton got the best of Providence last time they played. I understand having a differing opinion on this board can incite rage, catholic sensibilities and all. I just think the C7 schools overrate themselves a bit and underrate the A-10 schools a bit.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby scoscox » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:32 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
scoscox wrote:Fun fact: the big east tournament is a one and done knockout tournament. You’re not doing any favors for the logic behind your ranking

Now, you don't have to agree with that statement, you're obviously entitled to your own opinion. However, to suggest that my logic is contradictory is foolish.

Saying championships trump all, but performance over an entire season tells me more than a one and done knockout tournament is contradictory.
scoscox

Postby _lh » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:32 pm

Yep, Dude’s a UD fan posing as an XU fan.
Xavier
_lh

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:42 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
Savannah Jay wrote:

Pretty sure Dayton got the best of Providence last time they played. I understand having a differing opinion on this board can incite rage, catholic sensibilities and all. I just think the C7 schools overrate themselves a bit and underrate the A-10 schools a bit.

When you say something silly and get called out for it by everybody on the board, that's not rage. We're trying to coach you up.

I do pity people who talk out of both sides of their mouth and don't even know it...and for frauds who pretend to be fans of one school but are really fans of an A10 or AAC school wishing they could play with the big kids. The A10 is the 10th best conference according to RPI. Behind the Missouri Valley and the Mountain West. They have one NCAA tournament team. If I were on here claiming the A10 was the 12th best conference, that would be underrating them.
Savannah Jay

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:16 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
Lets talk 5 years from now and compare those tournament records. If you are truly in another stratosphere then there will be no comparison, but I doubt that will be the case.

Wait and see is a loser's attitude. Do you think the Big 10 presidents wait and see?

Two quotes from back to back posts from DudeA. In one he argues that Nova and X are comparable and backs it up by saying: “you just wait, 5 years from now you’ll see.” :roll:

Then he says “wait and see is a losers mentality.” I can’t argue with you there. :lol:

I think you need to take a couple posts off DA and try to reformulate your argument.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:36 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:
Lets talk 5 years from now and compare those tournament records. If you are truly in another stratosphere then there will be no comparison, but I doubt that will be the case.

Wait and see is a loser's attitude. Do you think the Big 10 presidents wait and see?

Two quotes from back to back posts from DudeA. In one he argues that Nova and X are comparable and backs it up by saying: “you just wait, 5 years from now you’ll see.” :roll:

Then he says “wait and see is a losers mentality.” I can’t argue with you there. :lol:

I think you need to take a couple posts off DA and try to reformulate your argument.

Just do us all a favor and don't get upset in the second round again this year please.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm

scoscox wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:

Saying championships trump all, but performance over an entire season tells me more than a one and done knockout tournament is contradictory.

:roll: You're just trying to be difficult now, right? You have to be. Leaving out key words that defeat your point doesn't magically make them disappear. In this case, those words are "beyond that." As in each Big East team enters each season in search of 3 major prizes. Winning one of these championships is a success. The team that wins the most of them is the most successful. Most teams don't win them, so to break ties/rank the remaining, other criteria must to be used beyond that of championships.

Again, you don't have to agree with my method of ranking success. It's all a matter of opinion. I just prefer championships over participation trophies.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:46 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
Just do us all a favor and don't get upset in the second round again this year please.

That’s great. Thanks.

The following is directed at 1 single X fan, alone. I find the rest of you to be good, solid fans.

DudeA please do us all 2 favors:
1). Please return the $ that Nova has provided X in terms of tourney credits, if they are not good enough for you.
2). Please make a FF once. You know that 8 other BE schools have done what X has failed to do, right?

Thanks. The rest of the BE fan base.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board