Big East Conference Realignment v2018

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Conference Realignment v2018

Postby adoraz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:26 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:
adoraz wrote:I realize Hurley has only been at UConn for a few weeks, but I think they have a big need for 2018 recruits and so far he hasn't gotten any. After Ollie was let go, they also released UConn's two recruits.

https://herosports.com/college-basketba ... adams-ahah

Looks like they are going after a RI recruit, but he wouldn't be an impact player.

Is this because of the investigation? School can no longer pay players? UConn needs to get off to a fast start under Hurley, but it might be rough.

Who cares? Let UConn and Hurley sink on their F5 quest. BE schools should not be bailing them out by scheduling games with UConn.

Lol... what? This thread is about expanding, and UConn is obviously the most discussed candidate. Didn't say anything about adding them, nor did I say we should schedule them. Just pointing out that the Hurley hire is no guarantee and could put them in an even bigger hole.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:39 pm

adoraz wrote:I realize Hurley has only been at UConn for a few weeks, but I think they have a big need for 2018 recruits and so far he hasn't gotten any. After Ollie was let go, they also released UConn's two recruits.

Looks like they are going after a RI recruit, but he wouldn't be an impact player.

Is this because of the investigation? School can no longer pay players? UConn needs to get off to a fast start under Hurley, but it might be rough.

The pertinent part of your post being, “I realize Hurley has only been at UConn for a few weeks . . .” It’s what comes after the “but” that’s the problem.

Not much more can be expected if Hurley at this point than that he oic up one or two strategic recruits or transfers at this point - guys who might ultimately just be key role players. There are no stars to be had our there at this point. Anything else is just creating unrealistic expectations.

UConn actually has some decent talent. It’s the fact that Ollie could achieve the results they were capable of that got him canned. The real test for Hurley will come next season to see if he can develop a winning attitude and achieve results commensuratewith the abilities of his players. If he can do that, then he’ll have some success on the recruiting trail but only after a year of pounding the pavement.
Bill Marsh

Postby adoraz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:02 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:

The pertinent part of your post being, “I realize Hurley has only been at UConn for a few weeks . . .” It’s what comes after the “but” that’s the problem.

Not much more can be expected if Hurley at this point than that he oic up one or two strategic recruits or transfers at this point - guys who might ultimately just be key role players. There are no stars to be had our there at this point. Anything else is just creating unrealistic expectations.

UConn actually has some decent talent. It’s the fact that Ollie could achieve the results they were capable of that got him canned. The real test for Hurley will come next season to see if he can develop a winning attitude and achieve results commensuratewith the abilities of his players. If he can do that, then he’ll have some success on the recruiting trail but only after a year of pounding the pavement.

I don't know much about UConn depth, other than they've been bad the last few years. That means either their talent was overestimated, or underutilized.

I looked on Boneyard and it appears some posters are getting a bit anxious about the class. Keep in mind, so far their class is actually worse than it was prior to the Hurley hire since they lost their 2 players (no guarantee those recruits would've stayed with Ollie had he remained, though).

A lot of times when a team gets a new coach, you see a spike in recruiting. When SJU hired Mullin in April 2015, we got several 3/4 star players pretty quickly. Memphis seems to be doing a solid job recruiting so far with their new coach, who was just hired.

Of course you're correct that he will be judged by his on court results. I'm just saying it's a lot harder to achieve strong results without talent. We'll see how he does and if the current players can be coached up.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:49 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:

Who cares? Let UConn and Hurley sink on their F5 quest. BE schools should not be bailing them out by scheduling games with UConn.

I'm going to tell you the same thing I used to tell shortsighted UConn fans 3-4 years ago @ TheBoneyard when they wanted other Northeast Big East teams to fail...

UConn basketball having a good program is good for College Basketball in the Northeast/New England. Syracuse and Boston College are also important. We want the top-tier teams Northeast (Nova, GT, SJU, PC, UConn, SHU, BC, Syracuse, URI) to stay relevant as much as possible because it keeps the spotlight on the region and makes the locals want to follow College Basketball in pro-sports-driven markets.

Not playing each other would be a very shortsighted and harmful decision for Northeast College basketball and it's fans. Do we want CBB in the Northeast to tank the same way CFB did?
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:23 am

adoraz wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

Is this because of the investigation? School can no longer pay players? UConn needs to get off the o a fast start under Hurley, but it might be rough.

I don't know much about UConn depth, other than they've been bad the last few years. That means either their talent was overestimated, or underutilized.

No, it doesn’t. They’ve only been bad for 2 years. It’s been a combination of injuries and bad coaching. They’ve rectified the coach problem. We’ll see bout the injuries.

I looked on Boneyard and it appears some posters are getting a bit anxious about the class. Keep in mind, so far their class is actually worse than it was prior to the Hurley hire since they lost their 2 players (no guarantee those recruits would've stayed with Ollie had he remained, though).

A lot of times when a team gets a new coach, you see a spike in recruiting. When SJU hired Mullin in April 2015, we got several 3/4 star players pretty quickly. Memphis seems to be doing a solid job recruiting so far with their new coach, who was just hired.

Of course you're correct that he will be judged by his on court results. I'm just saying it's a lot harder to achieve strong results without talent. We'll see how he does and if the current players can be coached up.

It’s equally true that their is often a lag in recruiting when a new coach takes over. There’s a lot of luck involved since the coach hasn’t been recruiting to the school. We both know that coaches work on recruits for years at times. There’s no way to make up for that in 2 weeks.

But let’s not judge this recruiting class in mid April. Two months from now, things might look better different.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:35 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:

I'm going to tell you the same thing I used to tell shortsighted UConn fans 3-4 years ago @ TheBoneyard when they wanted other Northeast Big East teams to fail...

UConn basketball having a good program is good for College Basketball in the Northeast/New England. Syracuse and Boston College are also important. We want the top-tier teams Northeast (Nova, GT, SJU, PC, UConn, SHU, BC, Syracuse, URI) to stay relevant as much as possible because it keeps the spotlight on the region and makes the locals want to follow College Basketball in pro-sports-driven markets.

Not playing each other would be a very shortsighted and harmful decision for Northeast College basketball and it's fans. Do we want CBB in the Northeast to tank the same way CFB did?

Completely agree. Programs thrive when there are other top programs close by. Kentucky and Louisville are two of the top schools in college basketball history despite being in the same state and only a short distance from each other. Same for schools in North Carolina and Michigan.

BC would be a stronger program today if they had successfully supported UConn’s application to the ACC precisely because they would have had a regional rival to help generate interest. Instead they’re out on an island in the ACC. Back in 2004, my BC friends regretted the move out of the BE. The ACC games just didn’t have the same appeal to them. BC’s effort to control the New England market backfired on them with the result being that they are now completely irrelevant in both major sports. Attempting to control a market is a fool’s errand IMO. There is always greater strength in numbers.
Bill Marsh

Postby adoraz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:25 am

Bill, bad coaching is the definition of underutilized lol.

I don't know enough about their injuries to discuss that aspect, but I think there were periods when everyone was healthy and they still sucked.

It’s equally true that their is often a lag in recruiting when a new coach takes over. There’s a lot of luck involved since the coach hasn’t been recruiting to the school. We both know that coaches work on recruits for years at times. There’s no way to make up for that in 2 weeks.

But let’s not judge this recruiting class in mid April. Two months from now, things might look better different.

Yes there can be a lag, but I think more often than not well respected coaches can put a class together quickly. Just looking at coaches that left our conference, Holtman got talent quickly when he left for OSU last year. I think Wojo did too when he left Marquette.

It should not be expected of coaches, but it's been done plenty. It's possible the class will look better by mid June, but as a fan of a program that always has voids to fill this time of year (SJU), it's very hard recruiting during May when nearly everyone has committed already. Only a handful of top players are left.

I am absolutely not saying that Hurley will be a failure. I am just saying it may be tough given the climate there with the investigation. A slow start could derail things quickly, just like it's doing at SJU now.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby kayako » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:15 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Who cares? Let UConn and Hurley sink on their F5 quest. BE schools should not be bailing them out by scheduling games with UConn.

Eh, bailing them out is quite a strong sentiment. But I do hope that our teams only agree to play them if they're reasonably confident in winning.
supernova
kayako

Postby EMT » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:39 am

kayako wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Who cares? Let UConn and Hurley sink on their F5 quest. BE schools should not be bailing them out by scheduling games with UConn.

Eh, bailing them out is quite a strong sentiment. But I do hope that our teams only agree to play them if they're reasonably confident in winning.

My bet is that the well of scheduling home and homes with the national blue bloods is drying up and UConn is coming back to their old BE foes to schedule meaningful games.
EMT

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:03 pm

adoraz wrote:Bill, bad coaching is the definition of underutilized lol.

I don't know enough about their injuries to discuss that aspect, but I think there were periods when everyone was healthy and they still sucked.

Yes there can be a lag, but I think more often than not well respected coaches can put a class together quickly. Just looking at coaches that left our conference, Holtman got talent quickly when he left for OSU last year. I think Wojo did too when he left Marquette.

It should not be expected of coaches, but it's been done plenty. It's possible the class will look better by mid June, but as a fan of a program that always has voids to fill this time of year (SJU), it's very hard recruiting during May when nearly everyone has committed already. Only a handful of top players are left.

I am absolutely not saying that Hurley will be a failure. I am just saying it may be tough given the climate there with the investigation. A slow start could derail things quickly, just like it's doing at SJU now.

Over the weekend UConn picked up commitments from a 3-Star PG, Rivals-135 Brendan Adams (6’4”) out of Baltimore and from 6-2 grad transfer, Tarin Smith (6’2”) who averaged 12.4 ppg last year for Duquesne. Rumors are that they are close to signing another transfer who is a big man.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Sat May 12, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board