(3) Big East Games 1-9-18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) Big East Games 1-9-18

Postby Jet915 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:09 pm

whiteandblue77 wrote:Steve Lavin: Real News.

Fun commentary from Lavin after the game on "dollar beer night."
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:19 pm

HUGE win for Marquette. This team is incredibly entertaining to watch. Between Howard and Rousey, each player has the capability to drop 30 on any given night. Haven't seen a Marquette team play this tough and with an edge since the Buzz days. Great night indeed.

In other news, Stever was 1 for 3 in picks tonight (he picked St. Johns and Hall). Anyone keeping a running tally?
GoldenWarrior11

Postby MUBoxer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:21 pm

MU looked like they did prior to the new big east tonight. I half thought I was back in college for a second! ...then I realized I have work and bills so I can’t go out and celebrate a Tuesday win :(
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby thebigeXpress » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:27 pm

Warriors look tough. I'm still amazed some of my friends were "disappointed" we only won by 4. Believe me, not too many teams are going into the Bradley Center and are going to come out with a win. Butler began 2-0 in conference and have lost 3 straight. This league is a bear. I still think we get 5-6 teams into the dance.
thebigeXpress

Postby MullinMayhem » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:38 pm

1. Maybe some of you "eternal optimists" ate some crow tonight. Sometimes the realists win out. Sometimes doom is reality. Just accept it. So much for me being "insane" calling things as they are.

2. Marcus LoVett is either academically ineligible or he was cleared by doctors weeks ago but refusing to play to preserve himself for euro ball. Enough with the BS. One of these is true. No other explanation makes sense. If you take coaches/media at their word, you're an idiot. Of course they wouldn't reveal this true info, because it makes LoVett look awful either way. Much easier to just lie and say his "injury" is lingering.

3. Mullin has no idea as coach. Simple, short, sweet. Zero experience on the staff and it shows. The only one pulling their weight is Matt A. as our recruiter. If there's one thing I learned from the Lavin years, it's that coaching matters 100%. We have had as much talent here in Queens as ever. The problem is we keep hiring terrible coaches. I'm 95% done with Mullin as coach. He has until next year (the 5% of faith remaining) to prove this was just an aberration and he really can coach when we have a deep team with big men. The only way he proves that is making the tournament. Not the NIT, the NCAA's. If he can't do that, show him the door. If I have to bet, I bet that we do the typical St. John's thing which is underperform, have bad luck, and stick with an overmatched coach to guarantee several more years of irrelevance. With our luck UConn is finished with Ollie by then and brings in Danny Hurley as coach. He brings them back to prominence and we lose out on the guy who should be coaching us right now.

4. We literally have no game plan. We dribble the ball around, pass around the 3 pt line, no movement, no cuts, no plays. One guy gets the ball, calls for a pick. 3 St. John's players end up within 4 ft of each other and there is zero spacing. We then pass back to someone else and they shoot a contested 3 and...brick. No man to rebound that shot either. This is literally what we have been doing.

Maybe this is what it took to get some of you to realize that I'm not "insane", or "negative", or whatever. I'm simply a St. John's fan reporting what I'm seeing and experiencing as it happens. I'm so sick of every other Big East team not named DePaul getting their time in the sun while we are sitting back watching. If I could control the entire fan base, I'd have zero St. John's fans show up the rest of the season at Carnesecca or MSG. Send a message. The funniest part is when those letters keep coming promptly in the mail begging for donations. Now THAT is funny!
MullinMayhem

Postby handdownmandown » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:40 pm

Wideman: 18 minutes, 6 points, 2 rebounds.
Krampelj: 22 minutes, 14 points, 14 rebounds.

Too bad the All-BE teams will be so crowded because Krampelj is going off. Third straight triple double.
handdownmandown

Postby REDMEN1415 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:48 am

Red Rooster wrote:
Burrito wrote:The Hoyas can't stop turning the ball over. Ewing needs to upgrade at the guard positions.

Both teams are garbage. I was never really sold on Mullin, and I'm not too sold on Ewing, but I'll give him a couple more years.

MullinMayhem, you can have at it! I'll probably agree with anything you say after tonight's debacle. Haha!

and our next 2 games is? hahaha shit it's Nova then @ X, 30 pnt blowouts in both? I could see that. Oh well

Yep WE ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
REDMEN1415

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:04 am

MullinMayhem wrote:1. Maybe some of you "eternal optimists" ate some crow tonight. Sometimes the realists win out. Sometimes doom is reality. Just accept it. So much for me being "insane" calling things as they are.

2. Marcus LoVett is either academically ineligible or he was cleared by doctors weeks ago but refusing to play to preserve himself for euro ball. Enough with the BS. One of these is true. No other explanation makes sense. If you take coaches/media at their word, you're an idiot. Of course they wouldn't reveal this true info, because it makes LoVett look awful either way. Much easier to just lie and say his "injury" is lingering.

3. Mullin has no idea as coach. Simple, short, sweet. Zero experience on the staff and it shows. The only one pulling their weight is Matt A. as our recruiter. If there's one thing I learned from the Lavin years, it's that coaching matters 100%. We have had as much talent here in Queens as ever. The problem is we keep hiring terrible coaches. I'm 95% done with Mullin as coach. He has until next year (the 5% of faith remaining) to prove this was just an aberration and he really can coach when we have a deep team with big men. The only way he proves that is making the tournament. Not the NIT, the NCAA's. If he can't do that, show him the door. If I have to bet, I bet that we do the typical St. John's thing which is underperform, have bad luck, and stick with an overmatched coach to guarantee several more years of irrelevance. With our luck UConn is finished with Ollie by then and brings in Danny Hurley as coach. He brings them back to prominence and we lose out on the guy who should be coaching us right now.

4. We literally have no game plan. We dribble the ball around, pass around the 3 pt line, no movement, no cuts, no plays. One guy gets the ball, calls for a pick. 3 St. John's players end up within 4 ft of each other and there is zero spacing. We then pass back to someone else and they shoot a contested 3 and...brick. No man to rebound that shot either. This is literally what we have been doing.

Maybe this is what it took to get some of you to realize that I'm not "insane", or "negative", or whatever. I'm simply a St. John's fan reporting what I'm seeing and experiencing as it happens. I'm so sick of every other Big East team not named DePaul getting their time in the sun while we are sitting back watching. If I could control the entire fan base, I'd have zero St. John's fans show up the rest of the season at Carnesecca or MSG. Send a message. The funniest part is when those letters keep coming promptly in the mail begging for donations. Now THAT is funny!

I agree with most of what you say in your post, but it doesn't have anything about you being a "realist." A broken clock is right twice a day and the sun shines on a dog's ass some days. No offense, I still think you're a "dollar or two short in the till" and a bit too reactionary (which, leads to your kneejerking or negativity), but I'll give it to you to have at it after last night's debacle.
Red Rooster

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:12 am

Jet915 wrote:
whiteandblue77 wrote:Steve Lavin: Real News.

Fun commentary from Lavin after the game on "dollar beer night."

link?
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby MullinMayhem » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:13 am

Red Rooster wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:1. Maybe some of you "eternal optimists" ate some crow tonight. Sometimes the realists win out. Sometimes doom is reality. Just accept it. So much for me being "insane" calling things as they are.

I agree with most of what you say in your post, but it doesn't have anything about you being a "realist." A broken clock is right twice a day and the sun shines on a dog's ass some days. No offense, I still think you're a "dollar or two short in the till" and a bit too reactionary (which, leads to your kneejerking or negativity), but I'll give it to you to have at it after last night's debacle.

I thought I was a crazed conspiracy theorist according to you (LoVett situation), no? And of course it's going to be knee-jerk when you start off competing for a tourney spot and now sit at 0-5 for the THIRD TIME IN FIVE YEARS in conference play. That is an incredible feat. What are we like 8-40 in conference play the last several years? This program is not just bad, it's putrid. Things this severe deserve strong language. By the way, many SJ fans on the train on the way home agree with this sentiment. There are guys who have been huge fans for 40+ years calling it quits. That's how bad. This program's fanbase is 75% 50+ yrs old. Nothing wrong with that but hey are the remnants from when we were respectable. Fans my age in their mid to late 20's have never seen a SJ team with sustainable success. Our version of a Final Four is us squeaking into the NCAA's.
MullinMayhem

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board