(3) Big East Games 1-9-18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) Big East Games 1-9-18

Postby Irishdawg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:04 am

handdownmandown wrote:Wideman: 18 minutes, 6 points, 2 rebounds.
Krampelj: 22 minutes, 14 points, 14 rebounds.

Too bad the All-BE teams will be so crowded because Krampelj is going off. Third straight triple double.

Krampelj fills his role well, but you do know they don't give out triple doubles for minutes played, right?

Also, Butler uses their bigs to block out while their guards go get the rebound, which is why Wideman is close to 5th in rebounding for Butler in league play (Martin, McDermott, Baldwin are ahead while Jorgensen is right behind him). Plus, I love Wideman as a player and a person, but it's not like Krampelj outplayed one of the top big men in the conference last night.
Irishdawg

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby cu blujs » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:17 am

Lavin's commentary was on Fox1 about 15 minutes or so after the game. it was very tongue in cheek, but for a Creighton fan pretty fun. Lavin may not have been a very good head coach, but he is certainly one of my favorite analysts, even before last night. IMO, FS1 has the best panel for game nights on t.v. Very knowledgeable and more entertaining than anything on ESPN - at least from a Big East fan perspective. Obviously, Lavin and Mac are good friends.
cu blujs

Postby cu blujs » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:38 am

Irishdawg wrote:
handdownmandown wrote:Wideman: 18 minutes, 6 points, 2 rebounds.
Krampelj: 22 minutes, 14 points, 14 rebounds.

Too bad the All-BE teams will be so crowded because Krampelj is going off. Third straight triple double.

Krampelj fills his role well, but you do know they don't give out triple doubles for minutes played, right?

Also, Butler uses their bigs to block out while their guards go get the rebound, which is why Wideman is close to 5th in rebounding for Butler in league play (Martin, McDermott, Baldwin are ahead while Jorgensen is right behind him). Plus, I love Wideman as a player and a person, but it's not like Krampelj outplayed one of the top big men in the conference last night.

I assume IrishDawg just misspoke there. It is Krampelj's 3rd straight double-double and his 6th in the last 10 games. He is averaging a double-double in conference play. He doesn't have world-beating numbers, but the guy is playing at a pretty high level right now, particularly considering that there are two other guys on the team who are your first and second scoring options. IMO, he is one of the most athletic bigs in the league. Long ways to go this season, but he has replaced Justin Patton's production and then some. About half way through the season, his scoring average is about the same, he is bringing down 4+ more rebounds per game than Patton did, he already has as many steals as Patton had the entire season last year and is nearly on the same pace for blocked shots. Funny how those numbers made Patton a first round draft pick and Krampelj will need at least one more year in college before even considering it - though I am sure scouts are starting to keep an eye on him. Another summer of lifting weights to increase the size of those shoulders and working on his post moves and he will be really tough to handle inside.
cu blujs

Postby Doge McDermott » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:11 am

Omaha1 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:
whiteandblue77 wrote:Steve Lavin: Real News.

Fun commentary from Lavin after the game on "dollar beer night."

link?

Interview with McDermott.

Dollar Beer Night Highlights. Lav got to shoot the T-Shirt Cannon!

Both segments are pretty funny, probably more so for Jays fans.
Doge McDermott

Postby kmacker69 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:33 am

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400988567

All I see is a Double double, but he was the spark that got CU out to a 17 point lead at the half. ;)
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby ArmyVet » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:30 am

Doge McDermott wrote:

That is really great stuff. The Big East has a collection of coaches and broadcasters who are down to earth and very likeable guys. Who wouldn't want to "work" at a job where you get to do a TV segment about drinking beers at a basketball game?
ArmyVet

Postby whiteandblue77 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:50 am

ArmyVet wrote:
Doge McDermott wrote:

That is really great stuff. The Big East has a collection of coaches and broadcasters who are down to earth and very likeable guys. Who wouldn't want to "work" at a job where you get to do a TV segment about drinking beers at a basketball game?[/quote

Lav is filling the void (for FS1) left unfilled by Dickie V (think EARLY Vitale, in the early 90s when he started to invent his slogans) in the best possible fashion (funnier and not as annoying as what turned into an obnoxious Dookie homer). FS1 is definitely crating a brand and culture for the Big East.

Cheers to FS1!
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby Irishdawg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:18 pm

cu blujs wrote:I assume IrishDawg just misspoke there. It is Krampelj's 3rd straight double-double and his 6th in the last 10 games. He is averaging a double-double in conference play. He doesn't have world-beating numbers, but the guy is playing at a pretty high level right now, particularly considering that there are two other guys on the team who are your first and second scoring options. IMO, he is one of the most athletic bigs in the league. Long ways to go this season, but he has replaced Justin Patton's production and then some. About half way through the season, his scoring average is about the same, he is bringing down 4+ more rebounds per game than Patton did, he already has as many steals as Patton had the entire season last year and is nearly on the same pace for blocked shots. Funny how those numbers made Patton a first round draft pick and Krampelj will need at least one more year in college before even considering it - though I am sure scouts are starting to keep an eye on him. Another summer of lifting weights to increase the size of those shoulders and working on his post moves and he will be really tough to handle inside.

I didn't misspeak, but I assume you're right. He'll definitely need the weight room to prevent those 6'6, 190 lbs monsters like Sean McDermott from running him over when he sets those screens on the perimeter ;)

Like his energy and he's definitely playing well this year. Kudos to him for how much he's grown as a player.
Irishdawg

Postby NJRedman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:17 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:1. Maybe some of you "eternal optimists" ate some crow tonight. Sometimes the realists win out. Sometimes doom is reality. Just accept it. So much for me being "insane" calling things as they are.

2. Marcus LoVett is either academically ineligible or he was cleared by doctors weeks ago but refusing to play to preserve himself for euro ball. Enough with the BS. One of these is true. No other explanation makes sense. If you take coaches/media at their word, you're an idiot. Of course they wouldn't reveal this true info, because it makes LoVett look awful either way. Much easier to just lie and say his "injury" is lingering.

3. Mullin has no idea as coach. Simple, short, sweet. Zero experience on the staff and it shows. The only one pulling their weight is Matt A. as our recruiter. If there's one thing I learned from the Lavin years, it's that coaching matters 100%. We have had as much talent here in Queens as ever. The problem is we keep hiring terrible coaches. I'm 95% done with Mullin as coach. He has until next year (the 5% of faith remaining) to prove this was just an aberration and he really can coach when we have a deep team with big men. The only way he proves that is making the tournament. Not the NIT, the NCAA's. If he can't do that, show him the door. If I have to bet, I bet that we do the typical St. John's thing which is underperform, have bad luck, and stick with an overmatched coach to guarantee several more years of irrelevance. With our luck UConn is finished with Ollie by then and brings in Danny Hurley as coach. He brings them back to prominence and we lose out on the guy who should be coaching us right now.

4. We literally have no game plan. We dribble the ball around, pass around the 3 pt line, no movement, no cuts, no plays. One guy gets the ball, calls for a pick. 3 St. John's players end up within 4 ft of each other and there is zero spacing. We then pass back to someone else and they shoot a contested 3 and...brick. No man to rebound that shot either. This is literally what we have been doing.

Maybe this is what it took to get some of you to realize that I'm not "insane", or "negative", or whatever. I'm simply a St. John's fan reporting what I'm seeing and experiencing as it happens. I'm so sick of every other Big East team not named DePaul getting their time in the sun while we are sitting back watching. If I could control the entire fan base, I'd have zero St. John's fans show up the rest of the season at Carnesecca or MSG. Send a message. The funniest part is when those letters keep coming promptly in the mail begging for donations. Now THAT is funny!

Then stop being a f---ing fan loser! Real fans show up if they stink or if their champs. You are such a whiney little loser.
NJRedman

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board