(5) Saturday BE Games 1/6/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (5) Saturday BE Games 1/6/18

Postby Friarsfan94 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:40 pm

Xudash wrote:Congrats to the Friars for their win over my Muskies yesterday. I assume that's what you were supposed to look like for the season - you back at full strength now?

Close to it. Still waiting on the return of Maliek White, a solid role player who can handle the ball and come in and knock down shots, but this is collectively the healthiest the Friars have been in over a month.
Friarsfan94

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby EMT » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:48 pm

Friarsfan94 wrote:
Xudash wrote:Congrats to the Friars for their win over my Muskies yesterday. I assume that's what you were supposed to look like for the season - you back at full strength now?

Close to it. Still waiting on the return of Maliek White, a solid role player who can handle the ball and come in and knock down shots, but this is collectively the healthiest the Friars have been in over a month.

I think White is close to returning. I can see him being the reason we win a game this year with the recipient fan base here going crazy.
EMT

Postby Friarsfan94 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:56 pm

EMT wrote:
Friarsfan94 wrote:

I think White is close to returning. I can see him being the reason we win a game this year with the recipient fan base here going crazy.

He’s been dressed and moving around in pregame shootarounds-rebounding, taking jumpers etc. I think he still sits out of official pregame layup lines (I could be wrong maybe he’s joined in the last couple games?) but it seems he’ll be back soon. I agree I can see him going off for 20 at any given point. Definitely a scorer with a very gritty mentality whom the rest of the conference has no idea about because he’s been injured basically this entire season so far and didn’t move the needle much as a freshman.
Friarsfan94

Postby EMT » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:03 pm

From what I've seen, he might be our toughest player.
EMT

Postby NJRedman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:45 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:If SJ is not in the tournament next year, Mullin should be fired. Plain, simple. Well, time to look forward to Mets baseball (barf) and the Jets drafting another defensive player we don't need. So blessed with my teams.

Yup, this is why our fans suck (not all but a lot). Just like the Mets and Jets fans they have no patience and push for firings every other year and there is no consistency. Look at the two NY teams who are consistent and the two NY teams who win titles. They are one in the same. The Yanks and Giants. The teams who are always firing their coaches and fan bases who are always complaining? Mets, Jets and Knicks.

Does this loss suck? Yes. Is this season turning into a bad one? Yes. Are there 14 more games in the conference season? You bet your sweet ass there are!

I just hate pessimism. It's something losers love to wallow in. Ever see a winner like Brady, Jeter or Kobe wallow in pessimism? Nope. Ever see a loser wallow in it? All the time.

If you don't think this team has grown under Mullin you're a fool. Are they where they need to be? No. Yakwe has regressed. Alebegovich is terrible. Ponds is struggling. Owens is much better, Bash is better than last year. We have transfers sitting on the bench that will help us big time next year. Bringing in Simon and Clark was a huge gain for us.

We have fans on twitter talking up Lavin for crying out loud! Thats how insane a portion of the fan base is. Hooper here included.
NJRedman

Postby EMT » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:36 pm

NJRedman wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:If SJ is not in the tournament next year, Mullin should be fired. Plain, simple. Well, time to look forward to Mets baseball (barf) and the Jets drafting another defensive player we don't need. So blessed with my teams.

Yup, this is why our fans suck (not all but a lot). Just like the Mets and Jets fans they have no patience and push for firings every other year and there is no consistency. Look at the two NY teams who are consistent and the two NY teams who win titles. They are one in the same. The Yanks and Giants. The teams who are always firing their coaches and fan bases who are always complaining? Mets, Jets and Knicks.

Does this loss suck? Yes. Is this season turning into a bad one? Yes. Are there 14 more games in the conference season? You bet your sweet ass there are!

I just hate pessimism. It's something losers love to wallow in. Ever see a winner like Brady, Jeter or Kobe wallow in pessimism? Nope. Ever see a loser wallow in it? All the time.

If you don't think this team has grown under Mullin you're a fool. Are they where they need to be? No. Yakwe has regressed. Alebegovich is terrible. Ponds is struggling. Owens is much better, Bash is better than last year. We have transfers sitting on the bench that will help us big time next year. Bringing in Simon and Clark was a huge gain for us.

We have fans on twitter talking up Lavin for crying out loud! Thats how insane a portion of the fan base is. Hooper here included.

Can you argue that Ponds has regressed as well? He hasn't really had many games that he's shot well in all season.
EMT

Postby NJRedman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:49 pm

EMT wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

Can you argue that Ponds has regressed as well? He hasn't really had many games that he's shot well in all season.

No, I wouldn't say regressed, i'd say he's struggling with his deep shot. He still leads the conference in steals, still is dynamic when driving to the lane and is a good rebounding guard. The only thing he isn't doing as well as last year is the 3 ball.
NJRedman

Postby GoodNight&GoJays » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:03 pm

Wild Saturday of bEAST hoops. MARQ may have found something to build on with Rowsey playing so poorly last night and sitting for long stretches in the 2nd half. As fun as it is to watch those 2 small guards light it up from 3, they can't guard anyone with both Rowsey and Howard on court at the same time. Elliot and Cain add some size and defense and looked good last night getting rowsey's minutes. Just think they need to make some slight adjustments in lineups to go dancing this year- Hauwser at the 5 might be something to look at for stretches too as Heldt, Froling, and John (for now) seem very limited
GoodNight&GoJays

Postby MullinMayhem » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:26 pm

1. I hated Steve Lavin and he was clearly not the coach for the job. We had the #2 recruiting class in the country and though some of them never ended up playing, a good portion did. What did he get from them, 1 NIT win in all the years? Even the years we made the tourney we had to scrap and claw our way. He underachieved a ton. Hurley would have had that team in the Sweet 16 at its peak.

2. If you have any hope left for this season, you are actually the insane one. 0-4 in the Big East is just too big a hole to climb out of. I could understand if we just played Nova and Xavier twice, but we didn't. We just got bent over by freakin DEPAUL...AT HOME! Alarm bells are going off and you are fast asleep still. Wake up! We are literally in the basement. No one worse than us right now. I'm sick of being the only team that looks genuinely clueless on the court. Even DePaul executed perfectly and clearly had a real game plan running plays and neatly finishing while making open shots.

3. If you don't think Mullin should be fired next season if we fail to make the NCAA tourney even if we are the last team in, then you must admit you have zero expectations for this team. Do I think he will be if we don't make it? Nope. But he should be. LoVett is almost definitely leaving after this year (he played this year?). Ponds should be back. That will give us Ponds 4* (upperclassman), Simon 5* (upperclassman), Williams 4* (freshman), Dixon (MAAC ROY and soph) at guard. For the bigs we'd have Owens, Keita, Roberts, Diakate, and Brooks. If you can't make the NCAA's with that deep lineup and that experience/talent at guard, you deserve to be fired.

So go ahead and get your excuses ready for why we won't make it next year. At least we lead in 1 thing and that's excuses. From watching all these games it looks like Mullin is clueless as a head coach, but I'll give him one more season to prove it was just a short bench and a bad luck injury that sank this year's team. If you don't make the tourney next year, you are a terrible coach.
MullinMayhem

Postby Friarsfan94 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:30 pm

EMT wrote:From what I've seen, he might be our toughest player.

From what we’ve seen of him so far, that’s fair. Of course that may not be saying much as this is “the softest team (Cooley) has ever coached!” -Ed Cooley, to his bench 6 minutes into the UMASS debacle. :lol:
Friarsfan94

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board