Today's games(2) - Wed. 1/3

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Today's games(2) - Wed. 1/3

Postby XUFan09 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:02 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:Thank you to whoever said this is what the forum is for. I've never heard of forums where posters must post the exact same POV and where they are forced to stay positive as their team's season is ending before their eyes after a hot start. It's 100% natural to bitch about that and this is exactly the medium to use it for. And to answer the X fan who said it's stupid to compare our 0-3 with DePaul's 0-3, yes they are the same. Enough of the if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle mindset. You can almost hear the excuses for next season already. Good teams find ways to win even with an injury. Almost is not good enough, this isn't pee wee league.

No, they're not the same, because I guarantee that SJU is going to do more with the remaining 15 games. If at the end of the conference slate, they had the same record as DePaul, then yes, that would qualify as the same thing.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:04 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
cu blujs wrote:Its a long season. hopefully, some of those teams get injured players back and others start taking control in their conference play so our OOC SOS can at least get up to 150 or so. If it stays in the 200s, we probably either have to finish top 4 in conference and to get a decent seed or we possibly end up in the #12 seed play-in game. Of course, going to still have to get at least top 6 in conference to even get into the dance.

Feel like a broken record... In a conference like the BE, OOC schedule does not mean nearly as much as in conference. At least 6 games vs. Top 25 RPI teams for CU and then plenty of others vs teams that are in the tourney conversation. Do well in conference and they'll do all they'll need to prove themselves. CU goes 12-6 in conference with some major scalps and they are a 4-5 seed minimum. What CU does moving forward will determine what kind of seed they get. The fact that Northwestern or Yale isn't beating anyone matters little if CU beats X, SHU and Nova in conference. This is a Power Conference...the men get separated from the boys over a 18 game grind, not some preseason weekend tournament.

If they finish 12-6, their RPI is only 23.3. That would be borderline 5/6 seed- and would in large part hinge on what they do in the BET. Their projected overall SOS is 44.

Creighton has a really sharp RPI turn-
12-6 23.3
11-7 31.1
10-8 39.2
9-9 48.5
8-10 59.0

A good OOC schedule can really help you out though. I mean- look at Xavier's curve same conference records(their OOC SOS is 26)
12-6 7.0
11-7 10.7
10-8 15.7
9-9 21.6
8-10 29.4

Xavier has a LOT more wiggle room due to how well they did in OOC play. Xavier is better off at 10-8 than Creighton is at 12-6- and it's not even close.
stever20

Postby XUFan09 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:05 pm

stever20 wrote:
cu blujs wrote:Its a long season. hopefully, some of those teams get injured players back and others start taking control in their conference play so our OOC SOS can at least get up to 150 or so. If it stays in the 200s, we probably either have to finish top 4 in conference and to get a decent seed or we possibly end up in the #12 seed play-in game. Of course, going to still have to get at least top 6 in conference to even get into the dance.

If it stays in the 200's, would need to get 12-13 wins to get a decent seed. Looking like the unfortuantely for Creighton normal 6-10 bid(of the last 7 bids for Creighton, 6 have been in that 6-10 group). 4 of those in the 7-10 group. Whch quite frankly is worse than being in the play in game.

As someone who has experienced my team in the play-in game, no, it's not worse to be in the 7-10 group.
XUFan09

Postby sju88grad » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:14 pm

XUFan09 wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:Thank you to whoever said this is what the forum is for. I've never heard of forums where posters must post the exact same POV and where they are forced to stay positive as their team's season is ending before their eyes after a hot start. It's 100% natural to bitch about that and this is exactly the medium to use it for. And to answer the X fan who said it's stupid to compare our 0-3 with DePaul's 0-3, yes they are the same. Enough of the if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle mindset. You can almost hear the excuses for next season already. Good teams find ways to win even with an injury. Almost is not good enough, this isn't pee wee league.

No, they're not the same, because I guarantee that SJU is going to do more with the remaining 15 games. If at the end of the conference slate, they had the same record as DePaul, then yes, that would qualify as the same thing.

Thank you XUFan. Before the conference season began, I had figured at this point we'd be 1-2 instead of 0-3. Seton Hall and Creighton on the road were going to be incredibly tough games and I'm encouraged by the fact that we competed and of course, disappointed we fell short. I think the frustration with Mayhem is that each and every game becomes a referendum on Mullin, the staff, the players, the fans, the school, etc. It gets tiresome. I had predicted that we would end up 9-9 for the season and I still feel that way. Now, if we lose at home to DePaul, Georgetown or both, I will definitely have to reassess my prediction.
sju88grad

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:16 pm

XUFan09 wrote:
stever20 wrote:

If it stays in the 200's, would need to get 12-13 wins to get a decent seed. Looking like the unfortuantely for Creighton normal 6-10 bid(of the last 7 bids for Creighton, 6 have been in that 6-10 group). 4 of those in the 7-10 group. Whch quite frankly is worse than being in the play in game.

As someone who has experienced my team in the play-in game, no, it's not worse to be in the 7-10 group.

For making a run- it's better to be in the 11/12 boat than for sure a 8 or 9 seed. 11 and 12 seeds have been to the sweet 16 20 times each in history. 8 and 9 seeds have been a combined 18 times. 7 and 10 have been 25 and 23 times respectively. And with how they are such home court advantages- I'd rather be a 11 or 12 seed even with the PIG game(which has had teams make runs out of).

And I'd say what you're saying is a lot due to being Dayton.
stever20

Postby Bluejay » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:32 pm

stever20 wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:

Feel like a broken record... In a conference like the BE, OOC schedule does not mean nearly as much as in conference. At least 6 games vs. Top 25 RPI teams for CU and then plenty of others vs teams that are in the tourney conversation. Do well in conference and they'll do all they'll need to prove themselves. CU goes 12-6 in conference with some major scalps and they are a 4-5 seed minimum. What CU does moving forward will determine what kind of seed they get. The fact that Northwestern or Yale isn't beating anyone matters little if CU beats X, SHU and Nova in conference. This is a Power Conference...the men get separated from the boys over a 18 game grind, not some preseason weekend tournament.

If they finish 12-6, their RPI is only 23.3. That would be borderline 5/6 seed- and would in large part hinge on what they do in the BET. Their projected overall SOS is 44.

That would be true if the committee based seeding entirely on RPI. Of course, we all know that they do not do that, so the entire statement is complete bullsh--.
Bluejay

Postby XUFan09 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:54 pm

stever20 wrote:
XUFan09 wrote:
stever20 wrote:

For making a run- it's better to be in the 11/12 boat than for sure a 8 or 9 seed. 11 and 12 seeds have been to the sweet 16 20 times each in history. 8 and 9 seeds have been a combined 18 times. 7 and 10 have been 25 and 23 times respectively. And with how they are such home court advantages- I'd rather be a 11 or 12 seed even with the PIG game(which has had teams make runs out of).

And I'd say what you're saying is a lot due to being Dayton.

Except now with the play-in game, a worthwhile run requires an extra win (since no one cares about the win that just gets you into the round of 64). And no, it's not because it's Dayton. I don't care about that. It's because it's the play-in game; you're not really in the tournament yet.
XUFan09

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Bluejay wrote:
That would be true if the committee based seeding entirely on RPI. Of course, we all know that they do not do that, so the entire statement is complete bullsh--.

You're right it doesn't. But it does constitute a lot of it. How you do vs tier 1 games(top 30 home games, top 75 road games) will factor a lot. Your SOS factors a lot into it(both overall and OOC- whether folks like it or not). Your road/neutral record means a ton.

Seton Hall I think 2 years ago a fair comparison to Seton Hall. They were 24-9, BET champs, and had a RPI of 19. With 193 OOC SOS. And they got a 6 seed.
stever20

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:57 pm

I just think that our fan base is so used to mediocrity and failure that excuses are now second nature. If we didn't lose this player, if this coach did that, if we played this team instead of another team, etc. Another thing I hear constantly is how tough the match ups are. Yeah they are all tough, so what? Win a game. Every team has injuries. Mizzou lost Porter and did very well, PC had hobbled key players play well, etc. I just don't see this team rattling off 3 in a row anywhere even with LoVett. This team always digs itself into holes to begin conference play.
MullinMayhem

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:07 pm

stever20 wrote:
Xavier has a LOT more wiggle room due to how well they did in OOC play. Xavier is better off at 10-8 than Creighton is at 12-6- and it's not even close.

This is all typical in a vacuum nonsense. The games need to be played before definitive statements can be made. Period. Move on and relax and let the games play out. If X goes 10-8 and loses to both G'town and DePaul and loses twice to SHU, Nova and CU, and finishes tied for 5th, you can't give them better than a 6/7 seed IMO. If CU conversely wins 12, beating X twice, beating Butler, Nova and SHU, and finishes 2nd in conference, show me the committee that will have them seeded behind X. I don't care what you're RPI calculator tells you.

You use these hypothetical records but we have no idea who's going to beat who, until it happens and the seeding and RPI shift accordingly. Bottom line is if Creighton beats the better teams in front of them and finishes 1st, 2nd or 3rd in this really strong league, where scheduling is perfectly even, they are going to be a Top 4-5 seed. Let's talk about OOC. X's signature win OOC is at home vs. Cinn., who has an RPI of 61 and @ No. Iowa (85). CU beat UCLA (38) on a neutral floor and @ N'western (91). This is not to say that X has not challenged itself OOC, it has, and it only lost once. It's not their fault Wiscy is down this year but even that away win lost a lot of luster. But CU has the better top OOC win and it was away from home, which I know both are so important to you.
Last edited by GumbyDamnit! on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board