Today's Games(2) - Tuesday 1/2/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Today's Games(2) - Tuesday 1/2/18

Postby Nildogg » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:24 pm

Id say this was a C- game on execution for Butler, their grit was there but yes, a 2 posession game with all of the missed opportunities was surprising. I ho estly thought a B+/ A- effort would bring this same result.
Did not play a great game at all. Playing on the road against #5 they should have been burried. X fans have to be happy with winning but I'd be concerened with the way you are letting teams hang around. Has to be F4 or bust this year, right?
Nildogg

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby XUFan09 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:25 pm

I was debating who to root for in this Georgetown-DePaul game. Both are at the back end of the top 100, so if DePaul were to win by just a few points, they'd probably stay there and we could keep saying that all Big East teams are in the Kenpom top 100. That's pretty cool, but long-term, it's unlikely to hold. Neither is close to being a Tier 2 game on the road, based on RPI Forecast, so I guess I'm just hoping for a good second half and for maybe some respectability next season.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby milksteak » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:25 pm

Nildogg wrote:Id say this was a C- game on execution for Butler, their grit was there but yes, a 2 posession game with all of the missed opportunities was surprising. I ho estly thought a B+/ A- effort would bring this same result.
Did not play a great game at all. Playing on the road against #5 they should have been burried. X fans have to be happy with winning but I'd be concerened with the way you are letting teams hang around. Has to be F4 or bust this year, right?

This is sour grapes and just plain false. That's the best Butler has played away from Hinkle all season.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby milksteak » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:30 pm

XUFan09 wrote:I was debating who to root for in this Georgetown-DePaul game. Both are at the back end of the top 100, so if DePaul were to win by just a few points, they'd probably stay there and we could keep saying that all Big East teams are in the Kenpom top 100. That's pretty cool, but long-term, it's unlikely to hold. Neither is close to being a Tier 2 game on the road, based on RPI Forecast, so I guess I'm just hoping for a good second half and for maybe some respectability next season.

I want Georgetown to win as many of these garbage games as possible this year. In a few years, I want them winning against everyone not named Butler. A good Georgetown program with Ewing at the helm would be great for this league.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby XUFan09 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:31 pm

milksteak wrote:
Nildogg wrote:Id say this was a C- game on execution for Butler, their grit was there but yes, a 2 posession game with all of the missed opportunities was surprising. I ho estly thought a B+/ A- effort would bring this same result.

This is sour grapes and just plain false. That's the best Butler has played away from Hinkle all season.

Butler actually did play really well. Both teams were putting out solid defensive performances, and both teams had some key players making key offensive plays despite the defense (e.g. Martin and Macura mirroring each other in the first half). In the end, Xavier just had more horses on the offensive end to bring home the win.

Like I said before, this team gets overconfident with leads and just kind of coasts. It's risky and could lead to an avoidable loss in the future, but that same confidence can carry them to some big wins. So, you kind of accept it as just part of who this team is. They generally have a killer instinct in the closing minutes, but that killer instinct isn't really there when up low double digits with ten minutes to play.
XUFan09

Postby XUFan09 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:34 pm

milksteak wrote:
XUFan09 wrote:I was debating who to root for in this Georgetown-DePaul game. Both are at the back end of the top 100, so if DePaul were to win by just a few points, they'd probably stay there and we could keep saying that all Big East teams are in the Kenpom top 100. That's pretty cool, but long-term, it's unlikely to hold. Neither is close to being a Tier 2 game on the road, based on RPI Forecast, so I guess I'm just hoping for a good second half and for maybe some respectability next season.

I want Georgetown to win as many of these garbage games as possible this year. In a few years, I want them winning against everyone not named Butler. A good Georgetown program with Ewing at the helm would be great for this league.

That's probably the best bet. I'm just looking at Strus, Cain, and the underclassmen and thinking this DePaul team has the opportunity to actually be decent next season. I want DePaul to taste enough success that maybe the culture can really change there. Not to the point that they are making the tournament regularly but at least to the point that they are winning games and staying in the top 100.

Long-term, though, I agree that Georgetown's success is best for the league in terms of optics.
XUFan09

Postby aggroxcraig » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:35 pm

milksteak wrote:

I want Georgetown to win as many of these garbage games as possible this year..

Yeah, I agree. DePaul should be able to win this garbage game against a garbage Hoyas team.

#badshittalk
aggroxcraig

Postby aggroxcraig » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:50 pm

DePaul, please stop just having dope ass moments followed by shitting the bed. Just have solid game.

Also, Pantelis Xidias the meme machine? Ok...
aggroxcraig

Postby smails » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:41 pm

kmacker69 wrote:
X Factor wrote:X didn't play as well as they could have. Give Butler credit for not giving up.

X is now 18-6 vs Butler in the last 24. Rivalry?

Gloat while you can because you got a gift! :roll: We will make you pay in the future! (The gift was too many missed layups and a lot of lucky home bounces!) :twisted:

Gift?? Lol...very Daytonesque
smails

Postby Nildogg » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:22 am

At least Trip won today 8-) Till we meet again in Hinkle X fans...

Trip X spot 200px .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nildogg

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board