(2) Games Today - Sunday - New Years Eve...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (2) Games Today - Sunday - New Years Eve...

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:16 pm

One thing I have really noticed about much of our fanbase is the routine acceptance of mediocrity and even failure. Some would say that it's good to wear rose-colored shades and be optimistic. Others are realists but they seem to be the minority in which I am grouped in with. I understand that injuries are part of the game but to act like it's not a big deal that we lost LoVett for the season (at this point that seems very possible) and now Ponds probably for another extended period (prove me otherwise) is very confusing. Without LoVett the season is over in terms of making the NCAA's. We couldn't afford losing him and now Ponds is out too. It's embarrassing how our staff is handling this clearly lying to the fanbase and media. The Mets are notorious for giving an injury update telling fans it's no big deal and the player is day to day...the fanbase takes a sigh of relief...only to find out the player is out for most if not all of the season.

Why do we have to accept the staff totally mishandling that? Just tell us LoVett is done for the season and Ponds will probably miss 3-4 games. Just be honest. The time for moral victories is over guys. We knew we could realistically make the NCAA's this year and got off to a great start. Now the ship is sinking and we are looking at 0-3 to start conference play. No more "almost!" or "good effort". Injuries or no injuries, this season is taking a terrible turn for the worst. This is a snakebitten program that is once again going 2 steps forward and then 2 steps back. They tease you and draw you in just to break your heart. I've always said following this program is tougher than DePaul because at least we know we have the pieces to be a top 25 tourney team, we just never live up to potential sans 2011. Go ahead and call me a terrible fan for being angry that our season is slipping away after being projected as a tourney team. Injuries are out of our control of course but I don't see many SJ fans angry that the ship is halfway in the water already. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. There's no middle ground.

St. John's, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Should be the team's motto.
MullinMayhem

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:14 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:One thing I have really noticed about much of our fanbase is the routine acceptance of mediocrity and even failure. Some would say that it's good to wear rose-colored shades and be optimistic. Others are realists but they seem to be the minority in which I am grouped in with. I understand that injuries are part of the game but to act like it's not a big deal that we lost LoVett for the season (at this point that seems very possible) and now Ponds probably for another extended period (prove me otherwise) is very confusing. Without LoVett the season is over in terms of making the NCAA's. We couldn't afford losing him and now Ponds is out too. It's embarrassing how our staff is handling this clearly lying to the fanbase and media. The Mets are notorious for giving an injury update telling fans it's no big deal and the player is day to day...the fanbase takes a sigh of relief...only to find out the player is out for most if not all of the season.

Why do we have to accept the staff totally mishandling that? Just tell us LoVett is done for the season and Ponds will probably miss 3-4 games. Just be honest. The time for moral victories is over guys. We knew we could realistically make the NCAA's this year and got off to a great start. Now the ship is sinking and we are looking at 0-3 to start conference play. No more "almost!" or "good effort". Injuries or no injuries, this season is taking a terrible turn for the worst. This is a snakebitten program that is once again going 2 steps forward and then 2 steps back. They tease you and draw you in just to break your heart. I've always said following this program is tougher than DePaul because at least we know we have the pieces to be a top 25 tourney team, we just never live up to potential sans 2011. Go ahead and call me a terrible fan for being angry that our season is slipping away after being projected as a tourney team. Injuries are out of our control of course but I don't see many SJ fans angry that the ship is halfway in the water already. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. There's no middle ground.

Hooper, STFU. Lovett isn't out for the season, if they thought he was they would say so.

The issue with the SJU fanbase is the second anything goes wrong they just bitch and moan like a bunch of whiny brats. "Oh no we have injuries we suck! Our staff is terrible!" You know what? Take your shitty attitude and go pout by yourself. No one cares if you think the staff is lying to you and the fan base. Thats the thought on SJU twitter but those morons never answer this question. Why would they lie to the fans? Seriously. What can they gain by lying? Whats their end game by lying to the fans about Lovetts knee? There is no motive to lie! Just a bunch of whiny horrible fans who bitch and moan that kids in college aren't doing enough to live up to their expectations. F you and F anyone who CRIES that these KIDS aren't doing enough for YOU!

Seriously, those kids gave EVERYTHING they had yesterday and almost stole a win on the road and YOU want to complain? GTFOH
Last edited by NJRedman on Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NJRedman

Postby SJUBBALL » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:17 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:One thing I have really noticed about much of our fanbase is the routine acceptance of mediocrity and even failure. Some would say that it's good to wear rose-colored shades and be optimistic. Others are realists but they seem to be the minority in which I am grouped in with. I understand that injuries are part of the game but to act like it's not a big deal that we lost LoVett for the season (at this point that seems very possible) and now Ponds probably for another extended period (prove me otherwise) is very confusing. Without LoVett the season is over in terms of making the NCAA's. We couldn't afford losing him and now Ponds is out too. It's embarrassing how our staff is handling this clearly lying to the fanbase and media. The Mets are notorious for giving an injury update telling fans it's no big deal and the player is day to day...the fanbase takes a sigh of relief...only to find out the player is out for most if not all of the season.

We aren’t making the tournament this season. There you go. Accept it now and maybe you won’t freak out next time we lose. No ones accepting mediocrity, we all wanna be better. But demanding it now, with our two best players out, what’s the point. Take Brunson and Bridges off Nova for a game they will struggle. Take away Delgado and Rodriguez from Seton Hall they struggle. I don’t understand how you can get this upset. We would’ve been underdogs with our full team. To compete the way we did is a moral victory that is worth talking about. Cause guess what, Ponds and LoVett most likely leaving after the season. So the next couple of years we need these guys we saw yesterday to step up. I liked what I saw yesterday.
SJUBBALL

Postby hoops22 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:39 pm

You're way off the mark with this post. Any team facing the No 24 team in the country on the road will have it's hands full. To do so without your two leading scorers and a thin bench puts you at an enoumous disadvantage. Despite this, they played their hearts outs, and had me believeing they would find a way to win until the very end. I was proud of the effort and have no complaints whatsoever. To act like injuries are not relevant to winning and losing is idiotic. Look at Creighton last year after they lost Watson. They were never the same team. For me, I'm disappointed the injuries happened and the impact it has on winning games, I'm not disappointed in the team at all. That being said, your post is a reflection on you, not the team. All true Johnnie fans will easily be behind this team 100% injuries or not.
hoops22

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:40 pm

1) Creighton has had tons of success that we haven’t in decades. Easier to swallow an injury when you have had lots of recent success. SJ was doormant and finally looked good with promise only for the 2 top players to get hurt. Not their fault but if you aren’t upset I have no idea why. We were tourney bound and now start 0-3.

2) you can’t call someone a bad fan because they’re tired of having to search for moral victories. Behind DePaul we are the ONLY program in conference who acts like it’s ok to lose a lot. Do you realize that? Our standards are insanely low. Sick of hearing about the future and next year. How many times must you hear that until you realize it never comes? And yes the staff flat out lied about LoVett. They prob want to force teams to gameplan on him so they lie and also want to keep fan interest. There are 2 perfect motives.
MullinMayhem

Postby NJRedman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:10 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:1) Creighton has had tons of success that we haven’t in decades. Easier to swallow an injury when you have had lots of recent success. SJ was doormant and finally looked good with promise only for the 2 top players to get hurt. Not their fault but if you aren’t upset I have no idea why. We were tourney bound and now start 0-3.

2) you can’t call someone a bad fan because they’re tired of having to search for moral victories. Behind DePaul we are the ONLY program in conference who acts like it’s ok to lose a lot. Do you realize that? Our standards are insanely low. Sick of hearing about the future and next year. How many times must you hear that until you realize it never comes? And yes the staff flat out lied about LoVett. They prob want to force teams to gameplan on him so they lie and also want to keep fan interest. There are 2 perfect motives.

1. People aren't upset because it's not something to get upset over since there is nothing anyone can do about it. Adults realize this, children do not so they throw temper tantrums.

2. The staff hasn't lied about it. Even if they did why does it effect you? Lovett will play when he's ready. It clearly isn't a case of some sort of suspension that is being masked as an injury. No one acts like it's okay to lose. You know what though, it is okay to lose. We all WANT to win but saying it's not okay to lose then that means losing is doing something wrong, something that should be punished. Once again so the petulant child Hooper gets it through his thick skull. THESE ARE KIDS PLAYING A GAME AND PUTTING THEIR BODIES ON THE LINE FOR NO PAY! Win or lose the world keeps spinning, we all have to go to work the next day and our responsibilities stay the same.

Now GTFOH and cry somewhere else Hooper.

Hey mods we going to do something about Hooper using a different account to get around his moderation?
NJRedman

Postby SDJay » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:47 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:Couple of thoughts from the CU-PC game.

Watson is going to be really, really good. Actually, he is right now, except he's frequently lost on defense. Any chance he'll transfer so we don't have to play him again?

And this isn't exactly a hot take, but Ed Cooley's great. His smarts, mental toughness and focus all come through in this postgame interview:
http://gocreighton.com/news/2017/12/31/mens-basketball-vs-providence.aspx

+1 on the Ed Cooley comments/interview
"That rug really tied the room together, did it not ?"
SDJay

Postby MullinMayhem » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:24 am

Redman, do you realize that 1) you don't have to have a near heart attack every time I post something and 2) people have different opinions than you? You reference acting like an adult and then proceed to use all caps and profanity in your response to a very trivial post. It's 100% appropriate to be angry as a SJ fan right now. We were projected to be in the tourney just days ago and now we lose our 2 star guards immediately for conference play. Realistically, no LoVett means no tournament unless we go on a huge miracle run. It's normal to be frustrated and disappointed with SJ right now. If LoVett and Ponds don't return next year (real possibility) then we are taking another step back next year. We will finally have big men but we will be lacking at guard. That's why it's now or never. Tired of the hype and moral victories. The injuries can make our losses more understanding obviously, but it doesn't make it any easier to take. A loss is still a loss and your record is what you are at the end of the day. Tired of talking about the future and what if scenarios and I know I'm not alone.

I swear it's the weirdest thing with St. John's fans in forums online. I'm a Jets, Knicks, Mets, Isles fan and St. John's fans are the only fans that try to silence those who are frustrated with the mediocrity/failure and accept it. In person though it's very different and tons of SJ fans will groan about the program.
MullinMayhem

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:18 am

I understand SJU fans being disappointed right now, but I don't think mad is the right word (or emotion). Injuries suck, but they happen and everyone has to battle through them at times. The guys that were able to play battled their hearts out on Sunday and every SJU fan should be proud of how they represented the school. When Seton Hall went on a run to stretch their lead to 15 in the second half it would've been all to easy for St. John's - on the road and without their two leading scorers - to fold and let the Hall run away with it from that point. A lot of teams would have, probably most. They didn't. They battled back and nearly stole a win on the road against a top 25 team.

Obviously you guys would have preferred a win. Who wouldn't? But I thought that was a very encouraging performance by St. John's. They still have plenty of chances to knock off good teams and they'll win a few. I know I'm nervous about SHU's trip to MSG.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby NJRedman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:56 am

MullinMayhem wrote:Redman, do you realize that 1) you don't have to have a near heart attack every time I post something and 2) people have different opinions than you? You reference acting like an adult and then proceed to use all caps and profanity in your response to a very trivial post. It's 100% appropriate to be angry as a SJ fan right now. We were projected to be in the tourney just days ago and now we lose our 2 star guards immediately for conference play. Realistically, no LoVett means no tournament unless we go on a huge miracle run. It's normal to be frustrated and disappointed with SJ right now. If LoVett and Ponds don't return next year (real possibility) then we are taking another step back next year. We will finally have big men but we will be lacking at guard. That's why it's now or never. Tired of the hype and moral victories. The injuries can make our losses more understanding obviously, but it doesn't make it any easier to take. A loss is still a loss and your record is what you are at the end of the day. Tired of talking about the future and what if scenarios and I know I'm not alone.

I swear it's the weirdest thing with St. John's fans in forums online. I'm a Jets, Knicks, Mets, Isles fan and St. John's fans are the only fans that try to silence those who are frustrated with the mediocrity/failure and accept it. In person though it's very different and tons of SJ fans will groan about the program.

Do you know why I use caps and profanity? Because it's the same shit every year with you! Look at the teams you root for! Of course you are a constant pessimist!

You complain about the team like they can do something about injuries. What pray tell could be done differently this season to prevent these injuries? Nothing. So why get on here and whine and moan about things that no one has any control over? Thats why people like me get FRUSTRATED with you and your childish posts. Great, be tired of moral victories, no one cares!
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board