(2) Games Today - Sunday - New Years Eve...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (2) Games Today - Sunday - New Years Eve...

Postby NJRedman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:58 pm

26 3's in three halves of play against SJU. FTW?!?!?!
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:59 pm

Hall2012 wrote:St. John's played pretty well in that first half. Looks like they have a game plan to keep the Pirates of the paint and they're doing a great job of that. Only reason they're down is that SHU has been pretty hot from 3. If I'm Mullins, I tell them to keep it up and hope the Pirates cool off from deep. If that happens, they can certainly win. Of course they could also adjust to take away the three, but that may just be giving the Pirates what they really want. Should be a good second half.

And even of the Johnnie's lose, playing without their top 2 guards could ultimately benefit them by forcing other guys to step up.

Mullin, his name is Mullin. He's a HoFer
NJRedman

Postby Hall2012 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:07 pm

NJRedman wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:St. John's played pretty well in that first half. Looks like they have a game plan to keep the Pirates of the paint and they're doing a great job of that. Only reason they're down is that SHU has been pretty hot from 3. If I'm Mullins, I tell them to keep it up and hope the Pirates cool off from deep. If that happens, they can certainly win. Of course they could also adjust to take away the three, but that may just be giving the Pirates what they really want. Should be a good second half.

And even of the Johnnie's lose, playing without their top 2 guards could ultimately benefit them by forcing other guys to step up.

I'm well aware. Typo or autocorrect, not sure which but purely an accident. Sorry you were offended by it.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby NJRedman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:08 pm

If it weren't for thin skinned refs this game could have gone the other way. Two horrible bench T's called in a close game.
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:10 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

I'm well aware. Typo or autocorrect, not sure which but purely an accident. Sorry you were offended by it.

Not offended, but see lots of folks do it.

NJRedman

Postby Hall2012 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:16 pm

SHU wasn't at their best tonight but still a very impressive effort by a very shorthanded SJU team. They battled hard and really proved to the doubters that they go more than 2 deep. At full strength, they're an NCAA tourney caliber team.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby SJUBBALL » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:49 pm

Liked our fight today while being short handed..

But I also hoped the staff and the bench learned a lesson today. Since mullin took over, I’ve liked what he’s done, but I think he’s established a bit of culture on the team where crying about the officials all game is okay. Just shut up and play the game
SJUBBALL

Postby NJRedman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:26 pm

Hall2012 wrote:SHU wasn't at their best tonight but still a very impressive effort by a very shorthanded SJU team. They battled hard and really proved to the doubters that they go more than 2 deep. At full strength, they're an NCAA tourney caliber team.

Only 4 Seton Hall players scored tonight. Seriously.

Wasn't their best? They were hitting 3's they had no business hitting.
NJRedman

Postby Hall2012 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:36 pm

NJRedman wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:SHU wasn't at their best tonight but still a very impressive effort by a very shorthanded SJU team. They battled hard and really proved to the doubters that they go more than 2 deep. At full strength, they're an NCAA tourney caliber team.

Only 4 Seton Hall players scored tonight. Seriously.

Wasn't their best? They were hitting 3's they had no business hitting.

Yes, they played a poor overall game, but it was masked by hot 3pt shooting in the first half. The Pirates don't exactly have deep scoring, but only 4 players tonight is another example of them being far from their best.

As for SJU, many of your fans expected to get blown out without Lovett and Ponds. This was an encouraging performance for them, showing that other guys on the team are capable of scoring. It's a good thing.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:53 am

Couple of thoughts from the CU-PC game.

Watson is going to be really, really good. Actually, he is right now, except he's frequently lost on defense. Any chance he'll transfer so we don't have to play him again?

And this isn't exactly a hot take, but Ed Cooley's great. His smarts, mental toughness and focus all come through in this postgame interview:
http://gocreighton.com/news/2017/12/31/mens-basketball-vs-providence.aspx
Wizard of Westroads

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board