Conf Play Starts tonight!!!! 10 Predictions...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conf Play Starts tonight!!!! 10 Predictions...

Postby xusandy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:26 pm

To CUJAYSFAN:
Amaker a flameout coaching at Harvard? He's the highest paid coach in the Ivy (makes close to a $mil), runs the ONLY Ivy program that is at all relevant on the national stage year after year. He has won his league more than half his years there, and thus faces about zero pressure to recruit better, or win now, or be fired. He lives high on the hog in one America's great cities, and his players are a bunch of very smart and very driven young men, who both understand and love the game, and will almost all become national leaders in whatever fields they choose to pursue after college.

That's just not a flameout in my mind; it's a guy who has figured out how to win the game of life as a bball coach! I envy Tommy Amaker -- the BEST of Coach K's coaching offspring.
xusandy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoyahooligan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:56 pm

xusandy wrote:To CUJAYSFAN:
Amaker a flameout coaching at Harvard? He's the highest paid coach in the Ivy (makes close to a $mil), runs the ONLY Ivy program that is at all relevant on the national stage year after year. He has won his league more than half his years there, and thus faces about zero pressure to recruit better, or win now, or be fired. He lives high on the hog in one America's great cities, and his players are a bunch of very smart and very driven young men, who both understand and love the game, and will almost all become national leaders in whatever fields they choose to pursue after college.

That's just not a flameout in my mind; it's a guy who has figured out how to win the game of life as a bball coach! I envy Tommy Amaker -- the BEST of Coach K's coaching offspring.

He flamed out at Michigan before re-emerging at Harvard.

And He got Harvard to change the rules for his basketball players so of course he had a leg up on the rest of the Ivy league.
hoyahooligan

Postby Xavier4036 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:34 pm

MarquetteRustler wrote:If Marquette finishes 8th in the conference, Wojo ain't getting poached and might get fired.

Exactly. If Marquette misses the tournament again, at what point does Marquette fire Wojo? 5 years, 1 tournament appearance with a first-round loss? They may have some patience for him since the cupboard was pretty bare when Buzz Williams left, but man, the last 5 years have been rough in Milwaukee. Unless Marquette goes on a run this year, he isn't getting "poached" by anyone... fired more likely
Xavier4036

Postby cujaysfan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:40 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:
xusandy wrote:To CUJAYSFAN:

He flamed out at Michigan before re-emerging at Harvard.

And He got Harvard to change the rules for his basketball players so of course he had a leg up on the rest of the Ivy league.

this is correct

i don't think an ACC school is going to go all in on Amaker after the Michigan situation - he'd have to work his way back up again

and amaker better than brey is laughable

and IIRC he left Seton Hall in quite the mess when he took off for Ann Arbor - but i'll let pirate fans chime in on that part of it...

plus - apparently his wife is quite the rainmaker at harvard - and getting someone to match her $$ won't be easy either
cujaysfan

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:10 pm

You might be on to something, per your predictions, GD. I basically agreed with all of the prognostications.

By the way, it's Mullin. :D
Red Rooster

Postby marquette » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Xavier4036 wrote:
MarquetteRustler wrote:If Marquette finishes 8th in the conference, Wojo ain't getting poached and might get fired.

Exactly. If Marquette misses the tournament again, at what point does Marquette fire Wojo? 5 years, 1 tournament appearance with a first-round loss? They may have some patience for him since the cupboard was pretty bare when Buzz Williams left, but man, the last 5 years have been rough in Milwaukee. Unless Marquette goes on a run this year, he isn't getting "poached" by anyone... fired more likely

Minor correction, this is year 4 for Wojo, the first year in the Big East was Buzz's fault. You are right, the cupboard was very bare when Wojo came in and because of that the administration, by all appearances, is willing to give him through next year. Honestly, I expect a lot from the team next season and a first round flameout would be cause for comcern.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby JayPak » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:22 pm

You forgot Khyri Thomas getting drafted first round.

Agreed that Wojo goes nowhere.
"When you lose a program like Creighton, there's no sugarcoating it," Valley Commissioner Doug Elgin said. "It's a devastating loss. They're going to go on and have success in the league they've joined." Yahoo Sports, October 10, 2013.
JayPak

Postby kayako » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:07 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
Yeah, I thought that at first too. But the NBA draft is not about current talent, it's about projected talent.

Omari's ceiling at college level is probably Caleb Swanigan. They're actually the same age. It'll take some time for Spellman to build up his draft stock. Won't happen this year. Maybe next year, but I think more likely he's a 3 or 4 year player.
supernova
kayako

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Buzz Williams, took Marquette to the tournament 5 out of the 6 years he was there, the only year he didn't bring them to the tournament was his last year. Buzz was also doing this in the old Big East. Wojo has been doing a decent job, but I don't think he has proven himself to be high on any big time program's wish list just yet. Time will tell.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby Hoya33 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:52 pm

There is no chance Wojo gets picked off by anyone. He has not had enough success.

Jay Wright will be the 76ers Head Coach after they miss the playoffs this year.
Hoya33

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board