(3) Wednesday Big East Conference Games 12/27/17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) Wednesday Big East Conference Games 12/27/17

Postby hoyahooligan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:45 pm

hard to say that the first game of an 18 game schedule is a Must win for both Butler and Georgetown but if they want to be successful in the BE this year this is a game each needs to win.

From a butler perspective Georgetown is predicted to be in the cellar so this is a game they need to win if they want to dance.

From a Georgetown perspective Butler appears to be the 5-10 range of the conference (not willing to cede anything yet on who will be 9-10) so if we don't want to finish in the basement this is the type of game at home we need to win.

I think the Syracuse game showed the Hoyas aren't all fluff and can compete with legitimate teams. If they refs don't screw us down the stretch we win that game.
hoyahooligan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby xusandy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:10 pm

3 interesting matchups tonight. X is up to #6 in the latest AP poll, but with several top teams taking stupid losses last week, it's hard for even me to think X is really better than ALL of Virginia, TCU, UNC, Arizona, Gonzaga, Texas A&M, and oh, yeah, Purdue, Kansas, and Kentucky! Marquette swept us last year, had a good (not great) OOC season, has dynamite outside shooting, is at home, and is a very legit tourney team, although at a very early stage.

Personally, I am less clear about how good Butler and Georgetown really are this season than I am about any other teams in the BEAST. Tonight's game really will tell us all a lot about where those programs are.

Nova is at DePaul, which is supposedly improved -- but enough to finish as high as 7th? Though I don't expect an upset, this is a good chance to get a read on the Demons.

FINALLY we get to the heart of it all! Another exciting BEAST season gets underway NOW.
xusandy

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:20 pm

As BEhomer stated Butler has a tough opening stretch. Probably the most difficult in the conference. This is a very winnable game for Butler and is a must win to have a shot at 3-2 during this stretch. Protect the home court and steal one on the road. Winning at home vs Nova & Seton Hall is a tall order but can be done.

Fortunately, they are capable of beating both X & Creighton...but have had difficulty playing tough opponents on the road thus far.
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:22 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:hard to say that the first game of an 18 game schedule is a Must win for both Butler and Georgetown but if they want to be successful in the BE this year this is a game each needs to win.

From a butler perspective Georgetown is predicted to be in the cellar so this is a game they need to win if they want to dance.

From a Georgetown perspective Butler appears to be the 5-10 range of the conference (not willing to cede anything yet on who will be 9-10) so if we don't want to finish in the basement this is the type of game at home we need to win.

I think the Syracuse game showed the Hoyas aren't all fluff and can compete with legitimate teams. If they refs don't screw us down the stretch we win that game.

I am excited to see what Georgetown can do under Ewing. The Cuse game was impressive, but one thing that really shocked me was how poorly Georgetown rebounded. I don't know if that will improve but it was odd to see a team with good bigs (coached by the ultimate big) give up so many rebounds. Either way, I am just happy droopy dog (JT3) is gone.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby hoyahooligan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
hoyahooligan wrote:hard to say that the first game of an 18 game schedule is a Must win for both Butler and Georgetown but if they want to be successful in the BE this year this is a game each needs to win.

I am excited to see what Georgetown can do under Ewing. The Cuse game was impressive, but one thing that really shocked me was how poorly Georgetown rebounded. I don't know if that will improve but it was odd to see a team with good bigs (coached by the ultimate big) give up so many rebounds. Either way, I am just happy droopy dog (JT3) is gone.

Not a great rebounding team, but Cuse was 2nd nationally in offensive rebounding coming into that game, so a lot of that was them being very good at rebounding than us being particularly bad. And it's hard to change a culture in one offseason. Another problem is with Sodom kicked off the team we have very little depth down low despite it being the strength of our team.
hoyahooligan

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:12 pm

20-35. Good shit hoyas
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:28 pm

DudeAnon wrote:20-35. Good shit hoyas

Some people (not you, in particular) bought that Georgetown was some total reclamation project when that wasn't the case. I said as much before the season even started.

There's several top 100 players on the roster and quite a bit of experience. The only thing with them was the unknown due to Ewing not ever being a head coach. The "other stuff" put out there, per the team and new staff, is hot air and fluff.

Do I believe they'll finish at the bottom of the conference? Yes. Tonight's game doesn't change my beliefs. I still have them in 9th place until I see more evidence. Although, they could be better than advertised or Butler could be worst than advertised (I had Butler around 7th or 8th place). Again, I'll need more evidence.

Nevertheless, a good half by the Hoyas. Butler has no point guard or facilitator, and it's showing due to their lack of playmakers.
Last edited by Red Rooster on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Red Rooster

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:34 pm

G’town looking great so far. Hoping we don’t get a pissed off Butler
Team when they return home.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:38 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:G’town looking great so far. Hoping we don’t get a pissed off Butler
Team when they return home.

They'll likely play Villanova tough for about 30-35 minutes before succumbing.
Red Rooster

Postby Xudash » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:36 pm

Unreal.

What else is there to type. Except it's gonna make me miss part of my Xavier game.
XAVIER
Xudash

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board