Passing Of The Legendary Dick Enberg...

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:54 am

Sorry to hear that Dick Enberg passed away on Thursday. Total legend spanning decades... UCLA hoops, California Angels, L.A. Rams, MLB postseason, AFC games, Super Bowls, Wimbledon, NCAA Finals.

Recently he announced Padres games, a big reason i would get the Baseball Extra Innings package.

Great voice, so knowledgeable on so many sports. Rooted for both teams equally. Approached the games without looking to criticize the players. Great pairings with Al McGuire of course, and Merlin Olsen.

Was there anything better as a kid than watching a game out in San Diego in the sun with Enberg calling the game, Fouts, Jefferson, Kellen Winslow, Chuck Muncie, Gary Big Hands Johnson... meanwhile, back in RI it's already dark out at 5pm, and the temp is 15 degrees outside, slushy and miserable. So you'd huddle up on the couch and spend 3 hours watching football and listening to Enberg and Olsen, escaping the dreary New England late Fall before another week of school.

His voice probably came into my house more than any other TV personality.

Weird, this week i just started listening to his Podcast series, which has been great. So far i've heard his interviews with Bill Walton, John Calipari, and a "wordsmith" guy.

Anyway, he definitely deserves his own thread. Oh my!
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Passing Of The Legendary Dick Enberg...

Postby Demon22 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:50 am

Enberg was on the call for one of the greatest moments in DePaul hoops history:

Demon22

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:19 am

Listening to Enberg and McGuire (and later, Packer) do college basketball games was one of the reasons I was drawn to college basketball many, many years ago.
Savannah Jay

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:44 am

There are times when saying someone was great is a pure exaggeration.

This isn't one of them.

Still remember him with Merlin Olsen doing the NBC games for football and of course with McGuire and Packer for hoops. Definitely a big loss.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:06 am

Demon22 wrote:Enberg was on the call for one of the greatest moments in DePaul hoops history:

How funny was the NBC opening theme song... at the 50 second mark, got some disco beat followed by cowbells. Awesome.

Love how unbiased Enberg and McGuire were. Love them shouting into the microphone, holding their earpiece in place amid the deafening cheers and the never-ending UCLA fight song played in a loop.

And as i write this, i just learned via text that my cousin's wife just delivered a baby boy.
Providence
billyjack

Return to Big East basketball message board