(5) Saturday Games - Dec 16th 2017...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (5) Saturday Games - Dec 16th 2017...

Postby billyjack » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:47 am

Seton Hall isn't dropping 9 points in the polls because of a last minute loss on the road to a rival.

Arizona over New Mexico was it? i don't see that giving them too big a boost unless i'm overlooking something. They won a game they were supposed to win. Sean Miller lovers will spin it a sign that Az is a new team with whoozeedingy back, blah blah blah.

The Notre Dame loss is bad against Indiana. It's like the Seton Hall loss, except the Irish lost on a neutral court.

Really bad look for #3 Wichita to get hammered in their home city. Very lucky that it was a "neutral court".

Cincinnati shouldn't have been ranked last week, but good win on the road, though UCLA has an RPI of 110 or so. And Mississippi State is a nothing win, certainly nothing that would move them in the polls.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:19 am

Oklahoma jumps into the AP around 15 or 16. Creighton may sneak in, with luck.

Florida drops out like a rock. I doubt Fla. St. drops out. We will see how valuable Bonsie Colson luv is...whether ND hangs on or drops out.
All the non-florida low hanging fruit teams Cincy, TT, Ariz, (20-25) won. Tennessee losing to UNC today will not drop them out. If ND goes, Creighton is in.
I expect to remain outside the AP.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby stever20 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:25 am

billyjack wrote:Seton Hall isn't dropping 9 points in the polls because of a last minute loss on the road to a rival.

Arizona over New Mexico was it? i don't see that giving them too big a boost unless i'm overlooking something. They won a game they were supposed to win. Sean Miller lovers will spin it a sign that Az is a new team with whoozeedingy back, blah blah blah.

The Notre Dame loss is bad against Indiana. It's like the Seton Hall loss, except the Irish lost on a neutral court.

Really bad look for #3 Wichita to get hammered in their home city. Very lucky that it was a "neutral court".

Cincinnati shouldn't have been ranked last week, but good win on the road, though UCLA has an RPI of 110 or so. And Mississippi State is a nothing win, certainly nothing that would move them in the polls.

We'll see. Rutgers is not viewed as being a good team at all. It's viewed as an ugly loss, rival or not.

Virginia, Purdue, Florida St, Baylor, Arizona, and Cincy will all easily be ahead of Seton Hall. Oklahoma as well after beating Wichita. So the absolute ceiling IMO for Seton Hall is like 22nd. 23rd if Tennessee upsets UNC today.

Wichita to the voters didn't get hammered. They lost by single digits. They'll drop, but they're going to remain easily ahead of Xavier who struggled to beat a bad ETSU team. That game will totally limit the upward mobility of Xavier this week.
stever20

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:28 am

The Biggest winner was the Big Ten yesterday. No doubt. They urgently needed things to go their way and for the most part it did
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby stever20 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:28 am

billyjack wrote:Biggest takeaway i think from yesterday is that both Georgetown and DePaul can compete against solid opponents. Both were in an excellent positon to win.

Assuming Syracuse is a mid-range ACC team, it shows that Ewing and the Hoyas can be solid.

DePaul once again played well against a good team. DePaul really hasn't played any stinkers this year.
:D

1 thing about this- I think it's pretty clear that Georgetown and DePaul are going to be getting some wins vs the 5-8 teams. It wouldn't shock me in the least if they got like 8 or 9 conference wins between them.
stever20

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:30 am

adoraz wrote:
stever20 wrote:Not really sure but I think in normal years this is one of the biggest upset weekends with a lot of teams getting upset after finals are over.

Really for Big East I don't think it changes all that much quite frankly. Nova, Seton Hall, Xavier, and Creighton are still very well set up. Butler losing wasn't that much of a surprise. Their calculus still is 9 conference wins=NCAA trip. Georgetown loss hurts but realistically Georgetown wasn't going to do much. Same with DePaul.

Agree with Stever here. Good to get perspective from an outsider because it's not the tragedy many here make it out to be. Bad day but people here way overreacted.

*Butler, Georgetown and DePaul were all UNDERDOGS today and very unlikely to make the tournament (well, aside from Butler maybe but they were a major underdog today). They lost, as expected. Georgetown loss was frustrating but we've been on the right side of those games more often than not this year (see the Xavier game from today).
*Seton Hall should've won but most the Top 25 teams have at least 2 losses by now.... and yes they'll still be Top 25 next week and will still make the tournament. They're not going to drop over 10 spots just for losing an away game lol.
*Xavier won (even though that was pretty terrifying).

So in the BIG PICTURE, all today means is SHU will likely drop a line or two come selection Sunday. We may even have 4 ranked teams on Monday if Creighton can sneak in. I'm not happy with today's results but again, this doesn't make us mid major status just because we went 1-4 on a day we were projected to go 2-3.

I think I overreacted my self. But I was just angry that every game I watched yesterday afternoon turned into a collapse. So frustrating. Xavier was the only team that pulled a fantastic comeback and I'm glad because that would've been the only loss to a non-major team

But yes, you guys are right. looking at the bigger picture. It didn't change much.
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby scoscox » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:57 pm

kayako wrote:Some of you guys actually thought that Nova was going to be challenged in the conference? DePaul may get the only win today without their PG.

Easy... you didn't exactly look like world beaters against Columbia, Lasalle, WKU, or Tennessee either.
scoscox

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board