#1 Villanova @ Temple - ESPN2 7PM

The home for Big East hoops

Re: #1 Villanova @ Temple - ESPN2 7PM

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:13 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Obviously the Big 5 isn't what it used to be. Nova can sleepwalk thru those games. Nothing but cupcakes these days. C'mon conference slate. Live by the 3, die by the 3.

Git' as a Jays fan are you really going to trod out the line about "living or dying by the 3?' You guys average 2 more 3 pt attempts than us per game. The difference is we are shooting them at a higher %. Take Paschall's attempts away (as he tried the first 5 games to be a 3 pt shooter for some reason, but has now abandoned that strategy) and the Cats are shooting 3's at 44% as a team. I'll take an eFG% of 66% any day.

This Jays fan is sufficiently nervous about/in awe of Nova's shooting so far. I think the year they won the Natty, they averaged 23 or 24 3s a game, and made them about 36% clip. I think the last 4 years Nova's been in the 35-38% range from 3. Now they are popping 44% but still shooting 24 a game. Yikes.
Savannah Jay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:30 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Obviously the Big 5 isn't what it used to be. Nova can sleepwalk thru those games. Nothing but cupcakes these days. C'mon conference slate. Live by the 3, die by the 3.

Git' as a Jays fan are you really going to trod out the line about "living or dying by the 3?' You guys average 2 more 3 pt attempts than us per game. The difference is we are shooting them at a higher %. Take Paschall's attempts away (as he tried the first 5 games to be a 3 pt shooter for some reason, but has now abandoned that strategy) and the Cats are shooting 3's at 44% as a team. I'll take an eFG% of 66% any day.

This Jays fan is sufficiently nervous about/in awe of Nova's shooting so far. I think the year they won the Natty, they averaged 23 or 24 3s a game, and made them about 36% clip. I think the last 4 years Nova's been in the 35-38% range from 3. Now they are popping 44% but still shooting 24 a game. Yikes.

To be fair, the % should go down when we play BE teams, as our forte has been ridiculously high % for 2 point shots. But I have noticed better ball movement this year vs. last year, which results in better looks. Last season saw a ton of isolation plays.
supernova
kayako

Postby BEhomer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:48 pm

in the post game interview, Jay wright acknowledged that he would like Spellman to develop his post game more. so he's probably thinking the same thing that they can't rely on 3s too much. but he also said Spellman is one of their best shooters. so if it ever comes down to Spellman hitting a 3 to win games late, you gotta feel good about your chances if you're nova fan. and being a center he will get wide open looks every time.
BEhomer

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:45 pm

Yeah, old gitmo has a lot of nerve. At least it's an apples to apples retort. Youse Philly folks got one helluva team there, but there will be some snags along the seams.
I'm happy that we will be in the WF for our game - my guys luv the sight lines in that house. I would luv to see a good ole "run n shoot" contest.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby NJRedman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:27 pm

NJRedman

Postby ArmyVet » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:15 pm

NJRedman wrote:https://deadspin.com/jalen-brunson-broke-temple-again-1821288761?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Jalen Brunson Broke Temple, Again

I didn't realize that it was already publicly stated that Brunson is leaving Nova for the NBA after this season.
ArmyVet

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:27 pm

New armor huh. Are those holes I see?

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Novachap » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Hey GTMO.... stirring the pot. I love it! Yes, the BlueJays love the sight lines in the WFC, hopefully Wragge is not walking through those doors!

So, no comments on Paschal being overweight this year? How about Spellman?
Novachap

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:10 am

Paschal? He still around? I coulda swore that I saw him Thanksgiving in Jersey... turning on a spit with an apple in his mouth...at a traditional Puerto Rican restaurante. Gonna be a great season. All the best Novachap.

From my seat we only have 1 rival, 1 team to shoot at - Nova. We can and Have beaten the rest. The air is fresh and clear, the championship course is set. All ahead full.

Like shooting duckpins...cake.
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Novachap » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:12 am

Back at you GTMO... Merry Christmas too!
Novachap

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board