MarquetteRustler wrote:Image

ivet

Re: this year so far

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby marquette » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:44 pm

jfan wrote:
marquette wrote:Alright, I've been working all day so I have been neglecting my mod duties but brace yourselves, 12 Stever posts incoming.
How can you possibly neglect the most important job of your life---editing Stever. You might have to quit your day job!! And no I don't want to be a mod!

The plan for the next 6 months is divorce the wife, quit the job, and move into stever's mom's basement so I can be around 24/7 for post approval. It's going to be cramped but she said once they get the flooding issue fixed we can get carpeting.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby sju88grad » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:28 am

I guess the Big East is a pretty good league. As of today, 8 of the 10 teams would make the tourney.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... cketology/
sju88grad

Postby TheBlueTeam » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:53 am

stever20 wrote:still have yet to see anyone who says the league will be getting 7 or 8 bids to the tourney putting out what they think the final standings will be.

Of course, the reason for that is that there is absolutely no reasonable path at all whatsoever to getting 7 or 8 bids. With how good Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall are- not to mention Creighton- there just aren't enough conference wins for St John's, Marquette, Providence, and Butler for really even 3 of the 4 to get in. And those 4 have put themselves with for Marquette and Providence already with 3 losses, and Butler and St John's with 2 plus a likely loss left- in a position where they need to finish with 9 wins to make the tourney.

sju88grad wrote:I guess the Big East is a pretty good league. As of today, 8 of the 10 teams would make the tourney.

Jerry... Jerry... Jerry... Jerry...
TheBlueTeam

Postby stever20 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:28 am

from Palm himself:
I am trying to predict what the selection committee would do if the season ended today based on the information available.  The bracket does not necessarily reflect how I feel about these teams.

and even there, I'd prefer Lunardi's bracket....

Lunardi with 1,2,4,10,12 I think it was
Palm with 1,3,5,8,10,10,12,12
stever20

Postby milksteak » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:25 am

TheBlueTeam wrote:
stever20 wrote:still have yet to see anyone who says the league will be getting 7 or 8 bids to the tourney putting out what they think the final standings will be.

Of course, the reason for that is that there is absolutely no reasonable path at all whatsoever to getting 7 or 8 bids. With how good Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall are- not to mention Creighton- there just aren't enough conference wins for St John's, Marquette, Providence, and Butler for really even 3 of the 4 to get in. And those 4 have put themselves with for Marquette and Providence already with 3 losses, and Butler and St John's with 2 plus a likely loss left- in a position where they need to finish with 9 wins to make the tourney.

sju88grad wrote:I guess the Big East is a pretty good league. As of today, 8 of the 10 teams would make the tourney.

Nope. See this is bad because only 25% of 80% of the Big East that make the Big Dance will be favored to make the second weekend. Even though only 25% of the AAC will make the tournament, 33% of that 25% will make the second weekend. Therefore, since more teams per capita among entrants will make the second weekend, the AAC will be in better shape.

#SteverSpin
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Hall2012 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:33 am

milksteak wrote:
TheBlueTeam wrote:

Nope. See this is bad because only 25% of 80% of the Big East that make the Big Dance will be favored to make the second weekend. Even though only 25% of the AAC will make the tournament, 33% of that 25% will make the second weekend. Therefore, since more teams per capita among entrants will make the second weekend, the AAC will be in better shape.

#SteverSpin

I think it's bad because it lines up 3 all Big East sweet 16 games, limiting us to only 5 possible elite 8 teams lol
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby gosports1 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:47 pm

I don't think PC is going anywhere unless the win the BE tourney. before start of season, for the 1st time ever, I was sure PC would get a bid this year. Now I'm thinking its unlikely
gosports1

Postby SJUBBALL » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:15 am

Stever, stop taking the fun out of sports.

Enough the projections, your most annoying post in here was the one where you said "the middle of the pack will most likely go 1-7 of even 0-8 against the top 4 teams in the conference".

Why can't we just watch the games and see what happens, that is what makes sports fun.

Was Marquette in line to make the tournament at this point last year? Maybe not, but guess what they beat Villanova. Things happen.
SJUBBALL

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:43 am

SJUBBALL wrote:Stever, stop taking the fun out of sports.

Enough the projections, your most annoying post in here was the one where you said "the middle of the pack will most likely go 1-7 of even 0-8 against the top 4 teams in the conference".

Why can't we just watch the games and see what happens, that is what makes sports fun.

Was Marquette in line to make the tournament at this point last year? Maybe not, but guess what they beat Villanova. Things happen.

college sports lends itself to projections. It's part of the system.

Marquette made the tourney for 2 reasons. It wasn't just on the Villanova game alone. It was the fact that they were able to get up to 10 conference wins. If they were 9-9 maybe or definitely 8-10, they don't make the tourney.

I just think teams 5-8 are going to get squeezed big time this year. I think the top 4 teams(despite Saturday's foibles for Seton Hall and Xavier) are much stronger than teams 5-8. And I think teams 9-10 are stronger than expected and will get some wins over those teams. Butler and Marquette already have 3 OOC losses which is always a big number as with that it forces the teams to finish at .500 in conference play to make the tourney realistically. Providence has 3 already, and has a tough game left with Houston that could make it where they need 10 to make the tourney. St John's only has 2 but has Duke left(and a tricky one with St Joe's on Wednesday night quite frankly). I think odds are good that 1 will make it from those 4, but you can't rule out the possibility that 0 of those 4 make it.

If I were doing percentages right now....
5 teams- 80%
4 teams- 15%
6 teams- 4%
7 teams- 1%
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board