This Year So Far

The home for Big East hoops

Re: This Year So Far

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:59 am

This morning’s RPI Top 20 Teams in the P7 Conferences: RPI Rankings – UDPride – updated January 3, 2018

Atlantic Coast Conference (6)
1. Duke (13-1)
8. North Carolina (12-2)
10. Syracuse (12-2)
11. Clemson (12-1)
12. Virginia (12-1)
18. Miami (FL) (12-1)

Big East (4)
2. Xavier (15-1)
5. Seton Hall (13-2)
7. Villanova (13-1)
13. Butler (12-4)

Big 12 (3)
3. Oklahoma (11-1)
4. Texas Christian (13-1)
20. West Virginia (13-1)

PAC 10 (2)
6. Arizona State (12-1)
19. Arizona (11-3)

Southeastern (2)
9. Arkansas (11-3)
16. Kentucky (11-2)

Big Ten (1)
14. Purdue (13-2)

American Athletic Conference (1)
15. Wichita State (11-2)
Fieldhouse Flyer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:44 am

I'd say today's bracketology on ESPN is the best it's ever been IMO....

I'd say the bracketology on ESPN today is the best it's ever been for the Big East...
Villanova 1 East vs Notre Dame/Rhode Island rd 2 in Pittsburgh
Xavier 2 South vs Florida St/St Mary's rd 2 in Detroit
Seton Hall 5 South vs Western Kentucky, TCU in Dallas
Butler 7 East vs Alabama, WVU in Pittsburgh
Creighton 7 West vs Syracuse, Oklahoma in Wichita

maybe a bit unlucky for Seton Hall seeing TCU in Dallas rd 2 but overall not too bad at all. Would be 15 projected units if everything went chalk, compared to only 13 last year.
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:13 pm

stever20 wrote:
marquette wrote:
stever20 wrote:I still think 5 bids is extremely possible, if not likely. Butler likely has made it where 4 is out of the question. I said to start the thread that 5 was very likely.

I think for Marquette and St John's- these next few weeks are huge...

Marquette is already 1-1. January is brutal. @ Providence, @ Villanova, Seton Hall, @ Butler, trap game with DePaul, @ Xavier, Villanova, and Butler. 8 games and 2-6 could be extremely possible. Oh, and Feb starts off with Providence and then 3 road games @ Seton Hall, St John's, and Creighton.

St John's is 0-1. After tomorrow @ Seton Hall and Wed @ Creighton, got 2 home must wins vs DePaul, Georgetown. Then a gauntlet with Villanova, @ Xavier, @ Georgetown, Creighton, @ Butler, Xavier, Duke, and @ Villanova. They could easily be 2-10 after that gauntlet. If they don't get healthy here in the next few weeks, they're toast.

Those 2 are going to be lucky to stay afloat here.

Providence did get road win which was big. But they really need 10 wins due to the 4 OOC losses. And still have 10 games left with top 5 teams. If they had gone 10-3 OOC, I'd say they were in pretty decent shape, but they didn't. I could see them entering the BET at 18-13, but having to beat whoever the 3 seed is to get into the tourney. That's going to be tough. Of the other 3 teams- they have by far the best shot I think. Part of that is they have the best coach of the 3- by a wide margin.

So you're saying we play in the Big East? Tell me more.

I'm pretty sure either us or PC has to win those matchups sooo...

Why I'm a bit more bullish on PC than on Marquette is they have the win already at St John's. They get 4 chances at home vs the top teams, while Marquette has already lost 1 of those. And Cooley is IMO a MUCH stronger coach than Wojo. Also, Providence's schedule is a bit more balanced than Marquette.

Oh, well . . . So much for that one. :cry:

If it helps any, I felt the same way you did.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:21 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Oh, well . . . So much for that one. :cry:

If. It helps any, I felt the same way you did.

lol... Yeah, I think Howard just scored another 3 on PC.
stever20

Postby _lh » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:08 pm

whiteandblue77 wrote:Nice BE article from B1G country. Reminder why 10 is a great number.
http://m.startribune.com/when-it-comes- ... 467167543/

Great article that should be required reading before anyone posts something new about adding teams to the BE.
Xavier
_lh

Postby XtoDC » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:20 pm

stever20 wrote:I'd say today's bracketology on ESPN is the best it's ever been IMO....

I'd say the bracketology on ESPN today is the best it's ever been for the Big East...

maybe a bit unlucky for Seton Hall seeing TCU in Dallas rd 2 but overall not too bad at all. Would be 15 projected units if everything went chalk, compared to only 13 last year.

I think the 2 seed in the South region is what Xavier is coveting as of now. A Detroit/Nashville opening site (fingers crossed for Nashville) with the Atlanta regional is probably the best for the fans to get to. Duke has the inside track on the 1 seed, but if teams like North Carolina keep faltering great shot at the 2 there.
XtoDC

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:29 pm

XtoDC wrote:
stever20 wrote:I'd say today's bracketology on ESPN is the best it's ever been IMO....

I think the 2 seed in the South region is what Xavier is coveting as of now. A Detroit/Nashville opening site (fingers crossed for Nashville) with the Atlanta regional is probably the best for the fans to get to. Duke has the inside track on the 1 seed, but if teams like North Carolina keep faltering great shot at the 2 there.

I don't think by rule Duke and North Carolina can both go to the same region as 1/2 seeds(not saying it's Duke/UNC, just no conference can have 2 top seeds in a conference). Also remember looking at the bracket he's got- Virginia is another 2 seed- but same thing. So if Duke goes to Atlanta, Xavier would have an excellent chance at Atlanta if Virginia and UNC are 2's.
stever20

Postby kayako » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:06 pm

This is why you don't project the season according to December kenpom and declare X number of teams in the conference "likely" to make the tournament. A lot depends on how the bid thieves do as well.
supernova
kayako

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:27 am

Hot damn, the sun sure is Bright up here...and the view changes too! Much, much better'n lookin' up 'Nova's heiney. Gotta break out the Blue-tinted shades. We're probably only here for a short time, but this is nice...I could get used to this. The waiters are uniformed, with serving towels on their arms, and they bring your order on silver trays, no less. Yes sir, 1st rate all the way. Shout out to the Hall for the assist - thanks guys. Boy, it's bright out - a new day, full of promise and opportunities...I like it up here. Xavier on Saturday, so I'd best enjoy this while it lasts. Jays - leading the BEast...it's got a nice ring to it. Luving this conference.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Novachap » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:32 am

Try not to get to comfy there GTMO! Your boys are looking very good though...
Novachap

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board