This Year So Far

The home for Big East hoops

Re: This Year So Far

Postby stever20 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:10 pm

marquette wrote:
stever20 wrote:I still think 5 bids is extremely possible, if not likely. Butler likely has made it where 4 is out of the question. I said to start the thread that 5 was very likely.

I think for Marquette and St John's- these next few weeks are huge...

Marquette is already 1-1. January is brutal. @ Providence, @ Villanova, Seton Hall, @ Butler, trap game with DePaul, @ Xavier, Villanova, and Butler. 8 games and 2-6 could be extremely possible. Oh, and Feb starts off with Providence and then 3 road games @ Seton Hall, St John's, and Creighton.

St John's is 0-1. After tomorrow @ Seton Hall and Wed @ Creighton, got 2 home must wins vs DePaul, Georgetown. Then a gauntlet with Villanova, @ Xavier, @ Georgetown, Creighton, @ Butler, Xavier, Duke, and @ Villanova. They could easily be 2-10 after that gauntlet. If they don't get healthy here in the next few weeks, they're toast.

Those 2 are going to be lucky to stay afloat here.

Providence did get road win which was big. But they really need 10 wins due to the 4 OOC losses. And still have 10 games left with top 5 teams. If they had gone 10-3 OOC, I'd say they were in pretty decent shape, but they didn't. I could see them entering the BET at 18-13, but having to beat whoever the 3 seed is to get into the tourney. That's going to be tough. Of the other 3 teams- they have by far the best shot I think. Part of that is they have the best coach of the 3- by a wide margin.

So you're saying we play in the Big East? Tell me more.

I'm pretty sure either us or PC has to win those matchups sooo...

Why I'm a bit more bullish on PC than on Marquette is they have the win already at St John's. They get 4 chances at home vs the top teams, while Marquette has already lost 1 of those. And Cooley is IMO a MUCH stronger coach than Wojo. Also, Providence's schedule is a bit more balanced than Marquette.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:09 pm

Let's go Butler Bulldogs...knock down the duckpins: Nova, then X, then the Hall...in order. Roll on as #1 in the conference.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby BEXU » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:38 pm

Every BE Team in the top 100 Kenpom.
BEXU

Postby milksteak » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:57 am

BEXU wrote:Every BE Team in the top 100 Kenpom.

Meanwhile, the mighty AAC has 5/12 teams outside the Top 100. And USF and ECU are embarrassingly bad...as is tradition.

Alright, bring on the #SteverSpin.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby stever20 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:17 pm

milksteak wrote:
BEXU wrote:Every BE Team in the top 100 Kenpom.

Meanwhile, the mighty AAC has 5/12 teams outside the Top 100. And USF and ECU are embarrassingly bad...as is tradition.

Alright, bring on the #SteverSpin.

For folks that don't want to be measured vs the AAC, you bring them up all the time....

Also, KP doesn't mean much when it comes to selections.

And looking at RPI forecast, Big East projected to have 2 teams in the 165-175 range.
AAC projected to have a team at 159.5, and then 279 and 295.

Big East teams guaranteed to have 4 games vs teams in the 165 and up range
AAC teams guaranteed to have only 2 games in that same range.

That's a pretty big difference.
stever20

Postby Xudash » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:41 pm

Some media speculation about the BE receiving two #1 seeds this year:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2751842-new-year-projections-for-the-2018-ncaa-tournament-bracket?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

A conference has to be doing something right to receive that kind of ink.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby stever20 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Xudash wrote:Some media speculation about the BE receiving two #1 seeds this year:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2751842-new-year-projections-for-the-2018-ncaa-tournament-bracket?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

That kind of bracket IMO would be light years better than last year's- 1/1/4/6/8 vs 1/4/6/9/10/11/11(in PIG).
stever20

Postby milksteak » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:22 pm

Xudash wrote:Some media speculation about the BE receiving two #1 seeds this year:

I'm not buying that the Big 12's regular season champ won't get a #1 seed (whoever that ends up being - Kansas most likely).

Don't want to pull a Stever, but I don't think two #1 seeds for the Big East is very realistic. It's possible, but both teams will have to be dominant for all of conference play. There will be more slip-ups from both teams. 1st-8th, this league is tough.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Xudash » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:27 pm

milksteak wrote:

I'm not buying that the Big 12's regular season champ won't get a #1 seed (whoever that ends up being - Kansas most likely).

Don't want to pull a Stever, but I don't think two #1 seeds for the Big East is very realistic. It's possible, but both teams will have to be dominant for all of conference play. There will be more slip-ups from both teams. 1st-8th, this league is tough.

I don't disagree with you at all. I was coming at this from the angle of (media) perception.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby whiteandblue77 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:43 pm

Nice BE article from B1G country. Reminder why 10 is a great number.
http://m.startribune.com/when-it-comes- ... 467167543/
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board