This Year So Far

The home for Big East hoops

Re: this year so far

Postby MarquetteRustler » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:53 pm

Last edited by MarquetteRustler on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
MarquetteRustler

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:55 pm

MarquetteRustler wrote:Image

:lol:
Jet915

Postby marquette » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:58 pm

: :lol:
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby kmacker69 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:30 pm

marquette wrote:

: :lol:

I don't think Stever looks that tough in real life, but other than that it looks accurate! :lol:
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby kayako » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:34 am

Creighton's AD is the head of the selection committee this year.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:05 am

kayako wrote:Creighton's AD is the head of the selection committee this year.

a fact that is pretty much meaningless. If the final standings have a bunch of teams bunched up at 8-10(or even 9-9 if Providence loses to Houston)- It's going to be hard for the league to get more than 4 teams. I mean St John's at 17-13 isn't going to make the tourney. Neither would an 17-13 Marquette, or a 17-14 Providence. Butler at 18-13 might have an outside shot- but that would hinge on what else is going on- and would be extremely precarious.
stever20

Postby Bluejay » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:10 am

What Stever does, while looking at Big East teams in a vacuum, is completely ignore how putrid the Big Ten and Pac 12 are this year.

To me, the number of teams we get in will depend on how bad the bottom teams in the conference end up being. If teams 7-10 drop most of their conference games, it may allow team 6 to nab enough conference wins to get in.
Bluejay

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:19 am

Bluejay wrote:What Stever does, while looking at Big East teams in a vacuum, is completely ignore how putrid the Big Ten and Pac 12 are this year.

To me, the number of teams we get in will depend on how bad the bottom teams in the conference end up being. If teams 7-10 drop most of their conference games, it may allow team 6 to nab enough conference wins to get in.

There is that, but then there is also the fact that you have stuff like the ACC who has 11 of their 15 teams with fewer than 3 losses. With only like 2 of them with a realistic chance of losing a 3rd time before conference play. Or the SEC where they have 10 of 14 teams with fewer than 3 losses- and 1 of the 3 loss teams is Florida with losses to Duke and Florida St(but wins vs Gonzaga and Cincy). And then the Big 12 which has only Texas with 3 losses right now.

The problem is that I don't see much of a gap between St John's, Butler, Providence, and Marquette. Those teams are going to go 4-2 probably at best vs those other 3 teams. Then add in likely like a 1-7 vs the top 4 (if not 0-8) and you have disaster(before even taking into account not easy games vs Georgetown and DePaul).
stever20

Postby XtoDC » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:03 am

Last year if Creighton and Xavier did not have the injuries that they did the conference would not have earned 7 bids. I think everyone here gets a little too focused on the # of bids rather than the % of the conference getting bids. Just because the ACC gets 7 bids in an average year with 3 top 4 seeds doesn't mean that will be us. They have 4 more schools. It would be damn near impossible for us to do both, so a couple of the top 3 either need to collapse or they continue to play like top 15 teams and earn high seeds at the expense of getting a 7th and possibly 6th bid.

If someone on the ACC board started a thread saying "I expect the ACC to get 7 NCAA Tournament bids" there would be one post saying "No shit, real bold prediction". Here because it's stever everyone let's him get to them for some reason because he makes a claim that 50% of the conference will get in, and that is controversial because last year was a fluke with two of the top teams losing a bunch of games to the middle of the conference mainly due to injuries.
XtoDC

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:21 am

XtoDC wrote:Last year if Creighton and Xavier did not have the injuries that they did the conference would not have earned 7 bids. I think everyone here gets a little too focused on the # of bids rather than the % of the conference getting bids. Just because the ACC gets 7 bids in an average year with 3 top 4 seeds doesn't mean that will be us. They have 4 more schools. It would be damn near impossible for us to do both, so a couple of the top 3 either need to collapse or they continue to play like top 15 teams and earn high seeds at the expense of getting a 7th and possibly 6th bid.

If someone on the ACC board started a thread saying "I expect the ACC to get 7 NCAA Tournament bids" there would be one post saying "No shit, real bold prediction". Here because it's stever everyone let's him get to them for some reason because he makes a claim that 50% of the conference will get in, and that is controversial because last year was a fluke with two of the top teams losing a bunch of games to the middle of the conference mainly due to injuries.

most reasonable post I've seen on here.....
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board