(1) Friday's Big East Game 12/8/17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) Friday's Big East Game 12/8/17

Postby Red Rooster » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:17 am

milksteak wrote:That was SJU’s last shot at a resume-building OOC win. The UCF win was good, but it really isn’t resume-building. Don’t really see them getting into the NCAAs without at least 20 wins. They’ll be solidly on the bubble for most of conference season if I had to guess.

If St. John's goes 10-2 in their remaining OOC games before conference play, and end up at 9-9 going into the Big East Tournament, then I think they'll get in. They'll likely be on the right side of bubble due to their RPI, SOS, and the strength of the Big East conference. Win a game in the Big East tournament, then they'll probably get in without any doubt.

By the way, the Johnnies still have one more OOC game versus Duke in February.

hoyahooligan wrote:Hey they were more competitive than Xavier was. :twisted:

LOL This is true!

It was actually a one-point game (around 2 minutes or so left in the game) and St. John's had the ball, but turned it over. Arizona State hits a three, St. John's comes back down and misses a shot, and Arizona State comes back and scores again. Quickly, a one-point deficit goes to a six-point deficit with a minute and a half left, and it's a wrap. 13-22 at the FT line didn't help matters, either.

Although, St. John's was still in prime position to win the game, they did miss LoVett last night. This was a game where they could've really used his services. Arizona State also has a solid, veteran-laden squad. Their top 5 scorers are 3 seniors, a junior, and a freshman.
Red Rooster

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:49 am

Red Rooster wrote:
milksteak wrote:That was SJU’s last shot at a resume-building OOC win. The UCF win was good, but it really isn’t resume-building. Don’t really see them getting into the NCAAs without at least 20 wins. They’ll be solidly on the bubble for most of conference season if I had to guess.

If St. John's goes 10-2 in their remaining OOC games before conference play, and end up at 9-9 going into the Big East Tournament, then I think they'll get in. They'll likely be on the right side of bubble due to their RPI, SOS, and the strength of the Big East conference. Win a game in the Big East tournament, then they'll probably get in without any doubt.

LOL This is true!

It was actually a one-point game (around 2 minutes or so left in the game) and St. John's had the ball, but turned it over. Arizona State hits a three, St. John's comes back down and misses a shot, and Arizona State comes back and scores again. Quickly, a one-point deficit goes to a six-point deficit with a minute and a half left, and it's a wrap. 13-22 at the FT line didn't help matters, either.

Although, St. John's was still in prime position to win the game, they did miss LoVett last night. This was a game where they could've really used his services. Arizona State also has a solid, veteran-laden squad. Their top 5 scorers are 3 seniors, a junior, and a freshman.

1 thing to remember for RPI purposes it'd only be considered as 9-2 as the Malloy game doesn't count. Assuming loss to Duke it's 9-3. 9-9 would put St John's at 18-12 and while RPI would be good- 36.7, I think it'll hinge quite frankly on who they beat in conference play.

If SJ gets to 19 d1 wins- they're in really easily..
stever20

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:20 am

stever20 wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:

LOL This is true!

1 thing to remember for RPI purposes it'd only be considered as 9-2 as the Malloy game doesn't count. Assuming loss to Duke it's 9-3. 9-9 would put St John's at 18-12 and while RPI would be good- 36.7, I think it'll hinge quite frankly on who they beat in conference play.

If SJ gets to 19 d1 wins- they're in really easily..

I still don't understand this...why would you ever schedule a DII school if there is a no win situation? It has to count, but it's just seen as a given, right? What bubble team would surrender 1 win when it could determine whether or not you make the tourney? The ASU game was tough to take. I just want to join in the fun of the other Big East teams (that we are just as good as by the way) beating OOC ranked teams. It's been a while since we've done that. I want to be able to watch a game against an OOC ranked opponent and know we have a legitimate shot of winning. We still are not at that point, but if LoVett and Ponds stay next year I think we will be at that point. Right now we are not ready to be near or in the top 25...we are a team that will be on the right side of the bubble if all goes well. I don't care how we get in the tourney, just want in. Once you're in, anything can happen. If we sneak in, I'd think we can make a pretty sexy darkhorse in some brackets.
MullinMayhem

Postby Edrick » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:40 am

Its not really a difficult point. If you think the RPI matters (that's another thing entirely - it doesn't), playing a game vs a D2 team is certainly less damaging than playing a game vs a bottom 50 type of team. One game basically didn't happen with respect to the formula, the other is doubly damaging because not only does it damage the 'real' RPI but because people don't understand how to use RPI and continue to use SOS alongside RPI as if they were distinct, the effect of poor SOS is, de facto, double counted.

And its not just unsophisticated people screwing up this fundamental thing. You hear Committee members in interviews making this mistake all of the time. People are dumb.
Edrick

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:08 am

the only thing with the D2 game- folks will just have to remember to look for 19 wins total instead of 18. Normally if a team gets to 18 wins they're in pretty good shape(unless they have a bad OOC SOS). But with the D2 win, 19 now becomes the real minimum needed.

Yeah, bad SOS is double counted. But everyone knows that going into the season so there's no excuse.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board