GAME TONIGHT - Dec 7th 2017... Howard vs Hoyas...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: GAME TONIGHT - Dec 7th 2017... Howard vs Hoyas...

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:02 pm

Go Bison...
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ivet » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:30 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:
billyjack wrote:76th anniversary of Pearl Harbor today. We have one game.

Thurs Dec 7th 2017:
Howard at Georgetown, 8:30pm.

Howard from DC NE plays Georgetown of DC NW in a BE-MEAC matchup.

Long list of accomplished alums from Howard U, including several Nobel Prize winners, legends in the fields of science and literature, Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, and especially the great Gus Johnson, who will hopefully be calling the game tonight!

Both of them are in Northwest DC!

Go HOYAS!!!

You are thinking of American University. Howard is in somewhat of a sketchy area although the NorthEast is slowly getting gentrified. It's strange driving into DC going westbound on 50 and see gentrification happen right in front of you. You'll pass by a bunch of run down row houses with metal gates on the doors and windows and homeless people walking around with shopping carts, then a block later all the row houses are updated and painted and yuppies/hipsters living in them...then a block later back to sketchy again.
ivet

Postby Doge McDermott » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:35 pm

billyjack wrote:Wow, i screwed my directions up... i thought Connecticut Ave was the east-west divide, and that Howard U was just to the east. Thanks, i'll fix it.

How do you screw that up? DC is a grid. The Capitol is in the middle. North Capitol Street and South Capitol Street are the E-W dividing lines, and East Capitol Street and the Mall are the N-S dividing lines. Letter Streets are all E-W and Numbered Streets are all N-S. States are all diagonal streets. It's literally the most logically laid out city in the US.
Doge McDermott

Postby hoyahooligan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:57 pm

ivet wrote:
ecasadoSBU wrote:

Thurs Dec 7th 2017:

Long list of accomplished alums from Howard U, including several Nobel Prize winners, legends in the fields of science and literature, Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, and especially the great Gus Johnson, who will hopefully be calling the game tonight!

Go HOYAS!!!

You are thinking of American University. Howard is in somewhat of a sketchy area although the NorthEast is slowly getting gentrified. It's strange driving into DC going westbound on 50 and see gentrification happen right in front of you. You'll pass by a bunch of run down row houses with metal gates on the doors and windows and homeless people walking around with shopping carts, then a block later all the row houses are updated and painted and yuppies/hipsters living in them...then a block later back to sketchy again.

No Howard is in NW DC. Look at the map everything west of N capitol street and above East Capitol street is NW DC.

Howard's address is 2400 Sixth St NW, Washington, DC 20059.
hoyahooligan

Postby billyjack » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:15 pm

Hey guys, ok, so i checked the map to get my bearings...

So i incorrectly always took Washington as being divided according to its diamond shape, and took the most northerly point at the top of the diamond as the east-west divide... and in my incorrect case, it would place 16th street (which lines up with the White House; not Connecticut Ave like i had said) as the east-west divide.

If 16th Street was the divider, then Howard U would be NE, along with Catholic U. As it is, Howard looks to be a 4 minute walk to NE... it's not like i confused it with George Mason, i mean, be reasonable here! Lol...

However as Dogey just pointed out, that east-west split is lined up with the Capitol.

I do get lost all the time because of all the rotaries at the diagonal roads.

One thing i've always liked is the naming of the grid roads... heading out from the Mall, the streets go alphabetically with 1 syllable, the alphabetically with 2 syllables, etc. Then 3 syllables, etc. Anyway, i think it's that way, but now i'm starting to doubt myself.

Great city, my brother lives there with his family. i never seem to have enough time to see everything when i visit.
Providence
billyjack

Postby ecasadoSBU » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:27 pm

ivet wrote:
ecasadoSBU wrote:

Thurs Dec 7th 2017:

Go HOYAS!!!

It could be a sketchy as it is. It remains geographically located in the Northwest Quadrant of DC.

Beautiful city. I fell in love with it in my last visit. I had 18 years since my first (and only) visit until this past July
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby ivet » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:07 pm

Watching this game it’s still difficult for me to put a gauge on how good this team really is this year. This Howard team is really bad.
ivet

Postby Jet915 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:20 pm

ivet wrote:Watching this game it’s still difficult for me to put a gauge on how good this team really is this year. This Howard team is really bad.

and yet it's a 10 point game...
Jet915

Postby hoyahooligan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:44 pm

Howard is not that bad of a team they played Indiana close at Indiana and GW close at GW. They have a dynamic back court that suddenly couldn't miss in the second half. That combined with the refs deciding to stop calling fouls on them made it a closer game than necessary.

Hoyas were up 16 at the hald and up 20 with 12 minutes to go in the second.

Ended up winning by 14. We actually looked really good until the last 10 minutes of the game. The first 30 minutes was really good basketball.
hoyahooligan

Postby ecasadoSBU » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:00 pm

I don't know if Howard is good or not... All I know is that playing that game alone just dropped the Big East several points in the Conference RPI. Geez what a terrible game. Georgetown now has RPI 215.

I really hope these guys find a way to beat Syracuse. A miracle... anything. But please beat Cuse
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board