Joey Brunk

The home for Big East hoops

Joey Brunk

Postby BigmanU » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:52 pm

Butler fans:

I've been checking his box scores this year and was wondering if he is getting of to slow start because he missed action last year. I thought he was the gem of the recruiting class (until I saw Baldwin play) last year, then sat out because of his dad's health. This year Both Wideman & Martin graduate, I would have assumed he would be groomed as a productive frontcourt piece. If he doesn't turn the corner, Butler will be extremely thin up front. Any analysis from those closer to the program?
BigmanU

Joey Brunk

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Joey Brunk

Postby ConnersvilleBulldog » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:24 pm

BigmanU wrote:Butler fans:

I've been checking his box scores this year and was wondering if he is getting of to slow start because he missed action last year. I thought he was the gem of the recruiting class (until I saw Baldwin play) last year, then sat out because of his dad's health. This year Both Wideman & Martin graduate, I would have assumed he would be groomed as a productive frontcourt piece. If he doesn't turn the corner, Butler will be extremely thin up front. Any analysis from those closer to the program?

The NCAA just announced that Brunk did receive a hardship waiver last year, so he's a freshman this season. So it's nice knowing he has 4 full years of eligibility now.

As far as the playing time, Brunk is just barried at the 5 position behind a senior (Wideman) and a junior (Fowler). Fowler hasn't been great this season, so I would expect Brunk to continue to take some of Fowler's minutes as the season goes on and the game continues to slow down for him. I'm still high on Brunk's potential, and I love the energy he plays with.
"On paper, people tell us we're nothing. But we're still playing for a national championship. We … are … still … here." - Joel Cornette
ConnersvilleBulldog

Postby BigmanU » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:48 pm

ConnersvilleBulldog wrote:
BigmanU wrote:Butler fans:

The NCAA just announced that Brunk did receive a hardship waiver last year, so he's a freshman this season. So it's nice knowing he has 4 full years of eligibility now.

As far as the playing time, Brunk is just barried at the 5 position behind a senior (Wideman) and a junior (Fowler). Fowler hasn't been great this season, so I would expect Brunk to continue to take some of Fowler's minutes as the season goes on and the game continues to slow down for him. I'm still high on Brunk's potential, and I love the energy he plays with.

Thanks, Great to hear!
BigmanU

Postby kmacker69 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:56 pm

I think Brunk will be a monster in a year or two! He makes some very athletic plays now, but gets a little lost on D so far. Fowler is money on D, but is soft on rebounds and Offense, so Brunk will step in next year when Wideman moves on. (But it's hard to take time from Big Cat, Wideman, when he plays great D and can play well against a lot bigger players! ;) )
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Return to Big East basketball message board