(3) BE Games - Wed Dec 6th 2017...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) BE Games - Wed Dec 6th 2017...

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:47 am

i think I'd keep Providence ahead of Marquette.
1- I trust Cooley way more than I trust Wojo as a coach. I think Cooley is at worst the 3rd best coach in the league- behind only Wright and Mack. I think Wojo has allowed Marquette to get way too reliant on the 3 point shot(#5 now in the country in percentage of shots taken as 3's. 1 of the 4 higher than them is Washington St, and we saw what happened to them last night vs Idaho. a 27 point mauling.).
2- PC is still much better positioned to make the tourney compared to Marquette. Marquette has 3 losses and a game on Saturday with Wisconsin that is pretty much a must win for Wisconsin. Wisconsin getting a 6th OOC loss in a tough conference is pretty close to fatal. Providence has 2 losses, with only 1 tough game left. Plus PC has the better win(we'll see what Washington does going forward). Looking at RPI Forecast, they both have a very similar OOC SOS- Providence at 102, Marquette at 113. So the 1 fewer loss would be pretty big. Even right now with Marquette at 3 losses, if they go 9-9 in conference play, they're going to have a tough time making the tourney with that.
3- Marquette has still had their close calls as well. Remember Eastern Illinois?
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DanofXav76 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:02 am

Edrick wrote:I had Providence as my #2 team coming into the year. After last night, I finally dropped them below Marquette to 8th in my rankings. They haven't really had any bad missteps but they've been the least impressive Big East program, relative to expectation, without a doubt.

Villanova
Xavier
Seton Hall
Creighton
St Johns
Butler
Marquette
Providence
Georgetown
DePaul

Looks about right to me. I think St. Johns has earned their 5th spot though Butler seems to have righted the ship as usually happens and could be pressing them for that spot in the upper division. I'd still have to flip Providence and Marquette right now, maybe even up to 6th past Butler. G-Town deserves to be ahead of DePaul on just overall record alone, but I think the Blue Demons are ready to make a little noise once the conference schedule starts.
Just my two cents, heck actually more like just a penny.
DanofXav76

Postby ecasadoSBU » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:04 am

We'll find out a lot about St. John's this friday
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby Burrito » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:28 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:We'll find out a lot about St. John's this friday

We don't want the Big East to go 0-4 against the Hurley brothers this year.
Burrito

Postby NJRedman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:06 am

But even if they lose it wont be something that really hurts their stock since ASU looks legit. Lovett might not even play in that game.
NJRedman

Postby ecasadoSBU » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:19 pm

NJRedman wrote:

But even if they lose it wont be something that really hurts their stock since ASU looks legit. Lovett might not even play in that game.

I agree. It won't hurt them. But a win against ASU deserves entry into the Top-25 for sure
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby kayako » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Butler's lost a lot of talent + Holtmann, but they're better than I expected. They look sort of rejuvenated after the come-from-behind win vs. OSU.
supernova
kayako

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board