(1) BE Game - Thurs Nov 30th 2017...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) BE Game - Thurs Nov 30th 2017...

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:53 am

Hall2012 wrote:Myles Powell 8-)

I thought that sequence where Delgado made a bucket (got fouled but it wasn't called), TT on their possession got free throws (and missed) when Delgado was called for his 4th, and Powell just took over was the difference. Hit a three. Forced a charge call, scored next couple buckets (if memory serves). It seemed like he just said to himself, "we're not losing this game."
Savannah Jay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoyahooligan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:40 am

I'd say the conference breaks down like this:

Nova

Xavier, Seton Hall

Providence, Creighton

St. John's, marquette, Butler, Georgetown, Depaul

obviously small sample sizes and not enough info to truly separate these teams yet. If Holt was back I'd put providence with Xavier and Seton Hall.

I think overall the BE is down this year. JMO.
hoyahooligan

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:53 am

hoyahooligan wrote:I'd say the conference breaks down like this:

Nova

Xavier, Seton Hall

Providence, Creighton

obviously small sample sizes and not enough info to truly separate these teams yet. If Holt was back I'd put providence with Xavier and Seton Hall.

I'd put Creighton higher than Providence. Their schedule has been tougher(Northwestern, UCLA, Baylor vs Minnesota, Washington, Saint Louis, and BC). Not to mention PC has had the 2 close calls vs weaker teams.

The bottom teams no one really has stood out at all. None of those have beaten a team they weren't supposed to beat.

X and SH could seperate this weekend as both have tough OOC games.
stever20

Postby MarquetteRustler » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:03 am

What a God awful thread. Why the hell is stever still on this board? Motion to ban the AAC RPI bot.
MarquetteRustler

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:27 am

MarquetteRustler wrote:What a God awful thread. Why the hell is stever still on this board? Motion to ban the AAC RPI bot.

but but but...we have to like the AAC because if they lose it helps the P5.

One problem - when it comes to basketball, WE ARE THE P5! Since realignment, there have been 2 conferences routinely able to compete with us. The ACC and Big XII. When a bid doesn't go to us, I couldn't care less if it goes to the PAC12, AAC, Sun Belt, or whoever. All I care about is the Big East and as one of the country's elite basketball conferences, we're gonna get what we deserve. No sense in worrying about anyone else.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby MarquetteRustler » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:36 am

Hall2012 wrote:
MarquetteRustler wrote:What a God awful thread. Why the hell is stever still on this board? Motion to ban the AAC RPI bot.

but but but...we have to like the AAC because if they lose it helps the P5.

One problem - when it comes to basketball, WE ARE THE P5! Since realignment, there have been 2 conferences routinely able to compete with us. The ACC and Big XII. When a bid doesn't go to us, I couldn't care less if it goes to the PAC12, AAC, Sun Belt, or whoever. All I care about is the Big East and as one of the country's elite basketball conferences, we're gonna get what we deserve. No sense in worrying about anyone else.

The only time the AAC should be mentioned on here is when a Big East team happens to play an AAC team. Imagine being a fan of a Big East team and coming to this board for the first time and seeing half the posts revolve around the AAC. His presence makes the board worse.
MarquetteRustler

Postby billyjack » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:01 pm

Great win for Seton Hall and the conference. Getting a second win vs the Big-12 in 3 days.

The last ten minutes, Seton Hall looked confident and Texas Tech looked frazzled or panicked. Texas Tech had some open looks but threw up several bricks, or just rushed a low percentage shot for no reason. Maybe a little out of sorts playing in MSG.

The late light skirmish between Desi and the TT big man definitely favored Desi. Powell was ice. Carrington had big buckets. Delgado did his thing. Crowd sounded aggressive on TV. Loved the atmosphere. The Hall totally represented the Big East.

Onions baby.

Oh yeah, and i've become a big fan of Donnie Marshall as an analyst.
Providence
billyjack

Postby MullinMayhem » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:05 pm

Nova

Xavier, Seton Hall

Providence, Creighton

SJ is 6-1 and has looked much more dangerous than Butler, Marquette, and DePaul. To even mention us with DePaul at this point is ridiculous. They are penciled-in for the basement. We are a team that right now has legit NCAA aspirations at this point at least. Georgetown has not been tested at all yet. They essentially had an extended exhibition period to begin the season while other Big East teams are playing F5 teams getting wins. It would be remarkable if G'Town can keep it going against legit teams but I doubt it with an iffy roster and brand new coach. Butler got a nice win vs. an always decent OSU but they have clearly taken steps back this season after some departures and a new coach. SJ has a better record than Marquette, DePaul, and Butler by the way. This is just a snapshot of how things look right now, not saying they won't change.

Tier 1:

Villanova
Xavier
Seton Hall
Creighton

Tier 2:

PC (Realistic tourney aspirations)
SJ (Realistic tourney aspirations)

Tier 3:

Marquette (hard to tell at this point but a bit too one-dimensional chuck and pray)
Butler (hard to tell at this point but clear step back this season thus far by their standards)

Tier 4:

Georgetown (undefeated so far but they have played all cupcakes...this obviously changes if they beat Cuse and such)
DePaul

I think we get 5-6 in the tourney. I can see PC and SJ battling like they did several years ago for perhaps the final tourney spot from the Big East. If we can take care of business against Grand Canyon, Sacred Heart, Iona, St. Joe's, and somehow upset Arizona State who is due to cool off for at least a game, we will be in a great spot. Obviously will not be easy, but I think SJ is right there in terms of the tourney so far...on track.
MullinMayhem

Postby Xudash » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:18 pm

A little late to this party, but congrats to the Hall. Very nice win.

BTW, it isn't an unwarranted or unfair point to make about the amount of AAC banter that goes on here. I know I'm guilty of having put up a thread about them that still is ongoing, but it was put up a while ago, and I never imagined that it would still be breathing.

I get the notion of Stever and that CrawWichita Douchebag being easy targets to pounce on with about every post they make, as though they offer themselves as Whac-A-Mole targets, but the AAC is no where close to being in our league, and spending anytime on them at this point seems silly.

If it's about free target practice against these two morons that somehow believe they have a relevant voice here, then so be it; I certainly have no desire to come off looking like the content control policeman here. But if we collectively believe it's time to move on for the purpose of enjoying BE discussion, in particular, and college hoops discussion in general, then shut them down.

Let's put it this way, I doubt you will find these morons with significant posting activity on any P5 board. Kick the chihuahua's out the door unless it's about site economics and posting traffic.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby hoyahooligan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:34 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:

Nova

Xavier, Seton Hall

Providence, Creighton

SJ is 6-1 and has looked much more dangerous than Butler, Marquette, and DePaul. To even mention us with DePaul at this point is ridiculous. They are penciled-in for the basement. We are a team that right now has legit NCAA aspirations at this point at least. Georgetown has not been tested at all yet. They essentially had an extended exhibition period to begin the season while other Big East teams are playing F5 teams getting wins. It would be remarkable if G'Town can keep it going against legit teams but I doubt it with an iffy roster and brand new coach. Butler got a nice win vs. an always decent OSU but they have clearly taken steps back this season after some departures and a new coach. SJ has a better record than Marquette, DePaul, and Butler by the way. This is just a snapshot of how things look right now, not saying they won't change.

Tier 1:

Villanova
Xavier
Seton Hall
Creighton

Tier 2:

PC (Realistic tourney aspirations)
SJ (Realistic tourney aspirations)

Tier 3:

Marquette (hard to tell at this point but a bit too one-dimensional chuck and pray)
Butler (hard to tell at this point but clear step back this season thus far by their standards)

Tier 4:

Georgetown (undefeated so far but they have played all cupcakes...this obviously changes if they beat Cuse and such)
DePaul

I think we get 5-6 in the tourney. I can see PC and SJ battling like they did several years ago for perhaps the final tourney spot from the Big East. If we can take care of business against Grand Canyon, Sacred Heart, Iona, St. Joe's, and somehow upset Arizona State who is due to cool off for at least a game, we will be in a great spot. Obviously will not be easy, but I think SJ is right there in terms of the tourney so far...on track.

Villanova Ken pom 2

Xavier 18, Seton Hall 21

Creighton 33, Providence 35

St. John's 50, Marquette 56, Butler 58

Georgetown 72

Depaul 130

Like it or not I think for now there's a delineation from the top 5 and the bottom 5 of the conference.

St. John's (3 top 100 opponents 0 top 50 2-1) is far far more tested than Georgetown, but not as tested as PC(2 top 100 opponents 1 top 50 1-1), Creighton(3 top 100 opponents 2 top 50; 2-1), Butler(3 top 100 opponents 2 top 50; 1-2), and Marquette( 4 top 100 3 top 50 2-2), so i'm not ready to put them above Butler or Marquette yet. Georgetown hasn't been tested, but based on results today which are adjusted for competition we're closer to St. John's than we are to DePaul right now.
hoyahooligan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board