DePaul, Georgetown and Scheduling

The home for Big East hoops

Re: DePaul, Georgetown and Scheduling

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:26 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:I honestly don't see the big deal here. Again. Get the wins (Must win and avoid bad losses to these cupcakes) and have a good winning record by the end of the year 1. Go out and recruit kids and show that Georgetown is winning again and is back in business... draw them in and improve the schedule on year 2... and continue showing momemtum

As opposed to the DePaul strategy which has been a failure for over a decade. Schedule tough but show no momentum. The only change that may finally make a difference is the new arena in Downtown Chicago.

A "good, winning record," and no postseason to speak of. What good is that? Recruits and their parents, guardian, and AAU/high school coach aren't exactly easily fooled. The personnel will come regardless, if you can sell them well enough. A winning, record playing a bunch of patsies won't particularly sell the masses.

If the schedule is improved, and they are legitimately showing improvement, then it may work. If they're getting their asses handed to them in conference play, then it comes off as a sham. So, what if the schedule isn't improved in year 2?

DePaul's tougher schedule or lack of doesn't matter one way or another, if they aren't good enough. If Georgetown plays well enough when stiffer comp rolls around, then it won't mean their weak schedule prepared them. It'll likely mean they may have been better than advertised. If they're losing games and getting spanked, per playing better comp, it (the weak schedule) all comes off as smoke and mirrors.

Rutgers played a similar schedule last season and started out 11-1, only to see it go up in smokes once stiffer comp and conference play rolled around. This isn't the old days of college basketball where several schools would load up on this type of schedule or something similar. It's outdated and doesn't really serves a purpose only to inflate the record of the coach, IMO.

You say, it isn't a big deal, but continue to vouch and come up with reasons to have such a schedule. I'm here to debunk and counter.
Red Rooster

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MullinMayhem » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:13 am

A few years ago we had arguably the worst, most talent-depleted SJ team in school history. We still scheduled some real teams like Cuse and beat them. Even though we were awful that year, that Cuse win made the season IMO with no expectations. I'd rather get knocked off by most good teams and occasionally beat one to get some publicity rather than loading up on cupcakes. If you want to be a big dog, you have to play with other big dogs. Being a pit bull in a room full of yorkies doesn't make you any tougher. Pick on someone your own size and get a reality check. Playing nothing but bums won't give you a real sense of where you are and what you need to fix.
MullinMayhem

Postby ecasadoSBU » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:34 pm

I'm not going to discuss this further because honestly I find it pretty useless. My only hope is for Georgetown to bounce back and return as a top tier program of the BE and that the scheduling path they took ends up working for them. I see that SJU fans seem to have something against Georgetown program. As a fan of the Big East (not any particular program) and a longtime NYC resident I can only hope success for both SJU/GU and the rest of the league
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby BigmanU » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:26 pm

I'm with ecasadoSBU on this one. What does getting the snot getting kicked out of you prove. Both DePaul & St. John's are not teams whose blueprint I want to follow. DePaul hasn't danced since 04' & St. John's only twice in the last 15 years!!!!!

Win games and let everything else takes care of itself. For those worried about Georgetown's RPI, don't lose to us. If we luckily go 9-9 and don't lose to any cupcakes, you can punch our ticket to the NCAA's.
BigmanU

Postby stever20 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:47 pm

BigmanU wrote:I'm with ecasadoSBU on this one. What does getting the snot getting kicked out of you prove. Both DePaul & St. John's are not teams whose blueprint I want to follow. DePaul hasn't danced since 04' & St. John's only twice in the last 15 years!!!!!

Win games and let everything takes care of itself. For those worried about Georgetown's RPI, don't lose to us.

the thing for Georgetown now with the schedule- to get a top 100 RPI, the Hoyas would have to win 19 games.

As to the original question, I think it'll be something that we'll need to see at the end of the year if they have similar conference records.

Lets say both teams go 4-14 in conference play.... just for discussions sake...
Georgetown finishes at say 14-15(going 10-1 OOC) 179.2 projected RPI
DePaul finishes at 11-19(going 7-5 OOC) 176.2 projected RPI

really don't think from RPI perspective there would be much of a difference. While Georgetown would have a better record- it's by only .483-.367. The opponents opponents part though would favor DePaul by a large part.
stever20

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:13 pm

BigmanU wrote:I'm with ecasadoSBU on this one. What does getting the snot getting kicked out of you prove. Both DePaul & St. John's are not teams whose blueprint I want to follow. DePaul hasn't danced since 04' & St. John's only twice in the last 15 years!!!!!

Win games and let everything else takes care of itself. For those worried about Georgetown's RPI, don't lose to us. If we luckily go 9-9 and don't lose to any cupcakes, you can punch our ticket to the NCAA's.

I've long debunked your fallacies in this argument. No need for me to rehash them. So, keep it movin'.

They won't go to the tournament with a 9-9 conference record, unless they beat a handful of the top dogs in the conference. I've seen several of your own fans debunk your theory on this one, too, with actual breakdowns (with the RPI) on what would need to happen. 9-9 won't cut the mustard, even without losing to any cupcakes, unless you beat a few, top dogs in the conference.

Do I need to debunk anymore of your false tales or fallacies?
Last edited by Red Rooster on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red Rooster

Postby BigmanU » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:17 pm

Red Rooster wrote:

I've long debunked your fallacies in this argument. No need for me to rehash them. So, keep it movin'.

Youv'e debunked nothing, just spoke last. Means nothing. Go back and read.
BigmanU

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:19 pm

BigmanU wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:

Youv'e debunked nothing, just spoke last. Means nothing. Go back and read.

I have debunked your crap, and so have other fans of your program debunked it, too. You go back and read, fool.
Red Rooster

Postby BigmanU » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:37 pm

I've long debunked your fallacies in this argument. No need for me to rehash them. So, keep it movin'.[/quote]

Youv'e debunked nothing, just spoke last. Means nothing. Go back and read.[/quote]

I have debunked your crap, and so have other fans of your program debunked it, too. You go back and read, fool.[/quote]

Like I said previously doing it your way has done nothing for your NCAA aspirations and you can't prove that it has. 2 dances in 15 years!!!!

You better hope you make it this year, It may be a total reset. Ponds is a potential pro and Lovett is just gone. Total Reset!

Your panties are in a total bunch because someone disagrees with you. Pull your skirt up.
BigmanU

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:46 pm

BigmanU wrote:Like I said previously doing it your way has done nothing for your NCAA aspirations and you can't prove that it has. 2 dances in 15 years!!!!

You better hope you make it this year, It may be a total reset. Ponds is a potential pro and Lovett is just gone. Total Reset!

Your panties are in a total bunk because someone disagrees with you. Pull your skirt up.

Obviously, they wasn't good enough. If they was good enough, then a tough schedule or lack of wouldn't matter. Obviously, you can't comprehend such things. But, I could say, it prepared them for conference play, as there was only three teams capable of beating St. John's at home in Villanova, Xavier, and Creighton.

What did Marquette weak schedule do for them two years ago? Kept them at home from both the NCAA and NIT. Their schedule was slightly better last season, and even going 10-8 in a major conference was only good enough to warrant a 10-seed. What did Rutgers weak schedule do for them last season? 11-2 before conference play. Guess who gave them those two losses before conference? Two, high-major teams in Miami and Seton Hall. What did Rutgers do in conference play? I'll assume you're smart enough to figure out that one. You should always go into a season to put your team into a situation where they can actually make the NCAA Tournament.

Besides, I've already used other teams who played tough schedules one season, and went on to do good things the following season. Theory and fallacies debunked.

You hope they're gone. If LoVett leaves, we have a 16.5ppg scorer in Mikey Dixon, who was one of the best players last season in the MAAC, as a frosh. Regardless, I doubt either player is gone after the season. Nice, wishful thinking on your part, though.

My panties are far from being in a bunch. If you can't come with logical opinions or critical thinking or facts, then I'm gonna poke holes in your argument. Your argument has a ton of holes in it that has been debunked by me and several fans of your program. Stop bringing the half-baked logic and fallacies. Keep it movin', fool.
Red Rooster

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board