Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes : 21

Re: Is Wojo A Good Coach? Poll...

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:12 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:This is Wojo's 4th year and he has 1 NCAA tournament appearance and 0 wins. By comparison, Mack had 3 appearances with 2 Sweet 16's. Mack was in the A-10 and likely getting paid a sliver of what Wojo is making.

MU won 20 games the year before that NCAA appearance, our AD being terrible at scheduling shouldn’t be on Wojo.

As far as what Mack did I’m going to say I’ll take the players that we have over the what was the quote? “We a bunch of gangsters” that Mack took. It’s almost like it’s easier to build a program with Sean Millers left overs of a 27-6 season in an easier conference than it is to build one in a top two conference after a 17 win season that saw half the team leave.

Buzz left us after two girls were gang raped, players got into bar fights under age, were constantly suspended, assaulted a person at a Qdoba and had two, albeit minor, recruiting violations plus pulling strings to get someone in that had no business being at MU. so Wojo is here to clean up the program and build from scratch not take a bunch of people without a care what they do off the court like Mack did.

I’m not saying wojo is a great coach, but he’s building from the ground up with guys who respect the name on the jersey

lol
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bluejay » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:47 pm

I remember WOjo's first recruiting class. on paper, it was a ridiculously good class. I remember frustration among some members of Creighton's fanbase who said stuff like, "How does Wojo come in and get an initial recruiting class like that?" What has become of that class?

Wojo has a had a lot of roster attrition too. I know that isn't exactly uncommon in today's college basketball world, but it is really hard to build something sustainable with so many transfers out.

Wojo also had a top 10 NBA lottery pick and couldn't even get to the NCAA tournament with him. That's a little hard to get one's head around.

I don't dislike Wojo as a coach, but I believe it is fair to question him at this point. Marquette is a solid program with rich tradition that should be doing much better in this league
Bluejay

Postby MUBoxer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:18 pm

Bluejay wrote:I remember WOjo's first recruiting class. on paper, it was a ridiculously good class. I remember frustration among some members of Creighton's fanbase who said stuff like, "How does Wojo come in and get an initial recruiting class like that?" What has become of that class?

Wojo has a had a lot of roster attrition too. I know that isn't exactly uncommon in today's college basketball world, but it is really hard to build something sustainable with so many transfers out.

Wojo also had a top 10 NBA lottery pick and couldn't even get to the NCAA tournament with him. That's a little hard to get one's head around.

I don't dislike Wojo as a coach, but I believe it is fair to question him at this point. Marquette is a solid program with rich tradition that should be doing much better in this league

Ellenson was drafted 18th. That’s not the lottery. But still again we won 20 games if you replace two of those with decent 150-200rpi teams our sos moves us up to likely on the bubble for sure 1 seed in the NIT. To me that year is 95% the AD, 3% the red that called the phantom foul against Depaul to let them win 2% not defending Belmont’s buzzer beater.

I agree 100% about attrition, I’m not sure if he’s promising every player they’re going to be “the guy” or what but it is disconcerting.

It’s 100% accurate to question him based on defensive short comings and transfers and probably player development. We still have had the best or second best offense in this league for over a year now and have been recruiting better or on par with anyone in this league so he’s got that going for him.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:36 pm

stever20 wrote:I think they're way too dependent on the 3 pointer...

4 tough teams so far- 2 wins 2 losses(Purdue, VCU, Wichita, LSU)
109 2's shot
120 3's shot
meanwhile their opponents-
158 2's shot
79 3's shot

I just don't think that's a recipe for long term success. You say what about Creighton a few years ago. I looked, and they took 44.6% of their field goal attempts as 3's. Marquette is at 48.8% so far this season. Think about it- they take almost 10% more 3's than Creighton did in 2014. And it's 1 thing to do it when you're shooting 41.4% from 3 like Creighton did a few years ago. It's another thing when you're only shooting 36.3%.

You're probably right but I don't think that tells the story. They are 47th in the country in offensive efficiency. Not bad right? Yet, they are 273 in the country at defense efficiency so far. Too small of a sample size? Well, last year: 10th in offensive efficiency, 238 in defensive efficiency.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. The problem is they don't defend.

But I do agree that Marquette, like a lot of college teams (Nova included) often get too infatuated with the 3. But when you have Rousey and Howard you certainly want them to fire away.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
stever20 wrote:I think they're way too dependent on the 3 pointer...

4 tough teams so far- 2 wins 2 losses(Purdue, VCU, Wichita, LSU)
109 2's shot
120 3's shot
meanwhile their opponents-
158 2's shot
79 3's shot

I just don't think that's a recipe for long term success. You say what about Creighton a few years ago. I looked, and they took 44.6% of their field goal attempts as 3's. Marquette is at 48.8% so far this season. Think about it- they take almost 10% more 3's than Creighton did in 2014. And it's 1 thing to do it when you're shooting 41.4% from 3 like Creighton did a few years ago. It's another thing when you're only shooting 36.3%.

You're probably right but I don't think that tells the story. They are 47th in the country in offensive efficiency. Not bad right? Yet, they are 273 in the country at defense efficiency so far. Too small of a sample size? Well, last year: 10th in offensive efficiency, 238 in defensive efficiency.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. The problem is they don't defend.

But I do agree that Marquette, like a lot of college teams (Nova included) often get too infatuated with the 3. But when you have Rousey and Howard you certainly want them to fire away.

I think the numbers if you look at it with the increase in 3's- up from 41.5% last year to 48.6% this year- their offensive rating has gone from 120.8 to 114.2. The defensive rating has gone from 104.2 to 102.3. So I wouldn't say that it's all great for the offense either.

And you are right, they need the defense to step up. The problem for them is they're a doughnut team and are super soft inside. I mean they've given up these fg% on 2's this year- 69.6/63.6/47.6/65.8/58.8/58.1. For the season 59.8% from 2 point range. That's good for #343 in the country. Teams worse than them read like Georgetown's OOC schedule- Mt St Mary's, Samford, Northern Arizona, Southern Utah, Tennessee St, Texas A&M Corpus Christi, Furman, and The Citadel. Until they fix that, it's going to be a long season.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board