Cheatham leaving Marquette

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Jet915 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:46 am

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account
@JonRothstein
2m2 minutes ago
More
Marquette's Hannif Cheatham is leaving the program, per release. Averaged 8.2 PPG.

Interesting. Seemed to have a sophomore slump last year. Was playing a little more this year, maybe wants to be "the man" somewhere else.
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Cheatham leaving Marquette

Postby stever20 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:58 am

Jet915 wrote:Jon Rothstein‏Verified account
@JonRothstein
2m2 minutes ago
More
Marquette's Hannif Cheatham is leaving the program, per release. Averaged 8.2 PPG.

Interesting. Seemed to have a sophomore slump last year. Was playing a little more this year, maybe wants to be "the man" somewhere else.

looking statisitcally he really didn't play much more this year. last year he was at 63.4% of minutes. This year 65.5% of minutes. We're talking about 50 seconds more per game!

looking at it the 2 tough games Marquette had- he was not good. He was 2nd to worst player vs Purdue(his likely replacement Anin was worst), and he was 3rd worst vs Wichita(Hauser and Cain worse)- bad thing there is Anin was 4th worst).
stever20

Postby milksteak » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:01 pm

I obviously don't follow Marquette as closely as many of you (Marquette fans especially), but this kinda come out of nowhere, no?
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby BigmanU » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:05 pm

@JonRothstein
2m2 minutes ago
More

I actually have been noticing his decline. The other two guards are "showing out". He probably needs to play a level down to the A-10 or AAC if he wants to be the man. If only they could trade him for a serviceable big that could grab some boards.
BigmanU

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:37 pm

BigmanU wrote:
@JonRothstein
2m2 minutes ago
More

I actually have been noticing his decline. The other two guards are "showing out". He probably needs to play a level down to the A-10 or AAC if he wants to be the man. If only they could trade him for a serviceable big that could grab some boards.

A big like Harry Frolling who becomes eligible in 3 weeks?

Truth is this is probably better for the program. Sacar is playing at the same level as Haanif this year and Cain is the same position with clearly more athletic talent. We need a PG next year if we want to capitalize on a truly great team so this opens the door for a grad transfer
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:59 pm

We wish the young man good luck and we will root for him wherever he goes. It was interesting that the release said he was leaving due to personal reasons, and that there was nothing about transferring out. Hopefully, everything at home is ok.

Always sad to see a player leave in the middle of a season, but it has definitely become the norm. I think we go get a grad transfer guard after the season, as we are incredibly light at the position after this season.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:07 pm

MUBoxer wrote:

Truth is this is probably better for the program. Sacar is playing at the same level as Haanif this year and Cain is the same position with clearly more athletic talent. We need a PG next year if we want to capitalize on a truly great team so this opens the door for a grad transfer

When you put it like this, I wonder if Wojo asked him to leave? Hes done that before, right?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby hoyahooligan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:37 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
BigmanU wrote:
@JonRothstein
2m2 minutes ago
More

Putting a lot of faith in a guy who averaged 4.3 pts and 3.2 rebounds with an 89.6 Ortg
hoyahooligan

Return to Big East basketball message board