(1) BE Game - Monday Nov 27th...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) BE Game - Monday Nov 27th...

Postby adoraz » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:18 pm

stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote:Big East is getting pretty lucky with the close games (this'll probably be a Stever talking point), but a win is a win! Take all of them and be thankful. I do think in the case of SJU at least, some of it is luck but some maturity.

Just out of the past 4 games, we've had Marquette, Butler, and SJU pulling out wins. I wonder what the conference is in close games...

I do think the close games are huge. Definitely at least helps with the RPI. The thing you see is with advanced metrics. Marquette dropped tonight in KP from 52 to 58. As we see advanced metrics used more and more- that's going to become a much bigger factor I think.

Just looking the Big East is 7-1 so far in games 5 points or less.

I agree they're placing more emphasis on advanced metrics, but I think RPI will always be the main metric. Otherwise, teams will start to run up the score on teams. Whether you win or lose should always be the most important metric (aka RPI).

Yep 7-1 sounds right. Good to see and we are fortunate to have the RPI/record we do.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:22 pm

Avoided a bad loss tonight, still no "bad losses" yet but still a few more cupcakes to play...
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:23 pm

marquette wrote:Bad, bad, bad game for us. I am happy to come away with the win. I am willing to call this one a mulligan as Cheatham's somewhat unexpected exit could have had an effect on team psyche coming into the game. Hopefully we will rebound but I will hold my judgment until we get done with our games against Georgia and Vermont. Those will be the soonest test of whether This team is truly broken without Haanif.

You'd have to include what is now a 3-4 Wisconsin team in that group as well. I'd think to have any shot have got to go at least 2-1 in those 3 games.
stever20

Postby marquette » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:32 pm

stever20 wrote:
marquette wrote:Bad, bad, bad game for us. I am happy to come away with the win. I am willing to call this one a mulligan as Cheatham's somewhat unexpected exit could have had an effect on team psyche coming into the game. Hopefully we will rebound but I will hold my judgment until we get done with our games against Georgia and Vermont. Those will be the soonest test of whether This team is truly broken without Haanif.

You'd have to include what is now a 3-4 Wisconsin team in that group as well. I'd think to have any shot have got to go at least 2-1 in those 3 games.

I'm struggling on Wisconsin this year. My eye test says "NIT team" but they always seem to figure it out in the end. That said, rivalry games are always going to be a toss up and th Kohl Hole is always tough to play in.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby adoraz » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:37 pm

Pretty amazing we're halfway through conference play and still no bad losses. Last year SJU alone lost against Old Dominion, Delaware State, Penn State (if that counts) and LIU Brooklyn.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby ecasadoSBU » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:03 am

So pissed off at the way MU played today. Just couldn't believe what I was watching. Terrible play at home to crappy team. I'm just glad they pulled the win in OT
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby beltwaybluejay » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:39 am

Not so sure EIU is crap team. That coach looks good.
beltwaybluejay

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:20 am

People keep saying no bad losses...I know rpi is being nice to them this early in the year but that SHU loss to Rhode Island is pretty ugly.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:47 am

Hall2012 wrote:People keep saying no bad losses...I know rpi is being nice to them this early in the year but that SHU loss to Rhode Island is pretty ugly.

Rhode Island should finish easily with a top 50 RPI. According to RPI forecast(it's early but still)- they would need to finish 18-11 to finish with a sub 50 RPI. They have projected a top 5 OOC SOS. Nevada, Seton Hall, Virginia, Providence, and Alabama the big names- but then also teams like UNC Asheville, Charleston, Iona, and Florida Gulf Coast- that are in the 100-150 range(with most being around 100). Only 2 bad teams- and those 2 are in the 240-270 range only so no real bad teams.

This is why labels are so stupid. no basketball person worth their salt would say that Rhode Island is anything remotely close to an ugly loss. But you think because they're in the A10 that it is.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:47 am

Sometimes close games are decided on weird bounces or on a sucky call by the refs. Usually though it has to do with good coaching, good preparation and a ballsy attitude, and learning to win (and not screwing up the basics). Big East teams typically have these attributes. Gets back to the much overused Bill Parcells quote about you are what your record says you are.
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board