(3) Sunday Big East Games-11/26/17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) Sunday Big East Games-11/26/17

Postby pc5151 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:06 pm

DePaul looked like they belonged on the court with ND, Ill and Oregon and could have (maybe should have) beat Oregon. They have BE level players/athletes and for the first time in forever they have more than 2 of them. I know Maric and McCallum leave after this year but DePaul looks like they are finally turning it around. Jaylen Coleman-Lands coming in next year will be a big help, they will need another big though. Would be nice to see them grab a decent amount of wins in the BE this year, as long as its not against PC
pc5151

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MullinMayhem » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:30 pm

One of the worst games I’ve ever seen any 2 teams play but Johnnies get the win. That’s 3 games straight that were nail biters. Was really hoping we’d at least make finals to play WVU but I figured the best I could realistically hope for was 2-1 and that’s what we did. Would be nice to win one of these tourneys for a change, but in recent history we struggle mightily in them. The key though is no bad losses and 2-1 kept our tourney hopes alive. Must beat Sacred Heart and Grand Canyon...a win vs. ASU will be very hard but we can do it. Can’t afford to lose to anyone but ASU and Duke for rest of OOC. I do kinda wish we scheduled better, because if our best win OOC is UCF or OSU that’s bad. Wish we could’ve played a few ranked teams we could realistically beat.

Nice bonus to crap on the AAC once again.
MullinMayhem

Postby jaxalum » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:15 am

A much needed 3-0 for the Big East.

How good does that win feel for Butler Fans 8-) Ex coach and down 15. Great win. What's the deal with Joey Brunk? I know that X really wanted him, and was really disappointed that we were not able to land him (although he at least landed in the Big East). I just thought that he would be an immediate contributor.
Xavier
jaxalum

Postby stever20 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:53 am

it may be a tourney salvaging comeback for Butler. Considering a 3rd loss there would have put them in a place where they would have had no wiggle room just about in next 3 tough OOC games- SLU, Utah, and vs Purdue. Now if they can just go 2-1 they should be ok if they can get to 9 conference wins. Finishing 10-3 OOC should put them in good shape.

Just looking after this weekend- 1 thing now we know all OOC opponents after this weekend.... All of the exempt tournaments have played out. Couple teams didn't get the OOC SOS boost they were hoping for- Nova and Butler. But by and large the tourneys did the BE favors....

looking in terms of what teams need to do...
Nova, Xavier, Seton Hall- obviously in great shape. Tourneys didn't help as much as could have- Nova didn't get the SOS boost due to the carnage in Atlantis, X and SH took on unexpected losses.
PC- in great shape because they should be 12-1. If they lose though to RI and Houston(only 2 tough games left), the SOS could get dicey.
Creighton- in great shape because they should be 10-2 at worst. Remember Bemedji won't count.
St John's- they could have some problems. Will be quite possibly only 9-3 OOC. Malloy doesn't count. With UCF as best win. They may need 10 conference wins to get in.
Marquette- need to go 2-1 vs Georgia, Vermont, and Wisconsin. That'd get them to a 9-3 OOC. With if they don't beat Wisconsin no big OOC win. They may need 10 conference wins to get in.
Butler- need to go 2-1 vs SLU, Utah, Purdue. That'd get them to 10-3 OOC.
Georgetown- could be 11-0 or 10-1. Will be really interesting. Their RPI at 21-8 by RPI forecast is 62.3. So they would need at least 10 if not 11 to get in. Worst case scenario for BE is for them to get to 8-9 conference wins.
DePaul- Should be 8-4 or 7-5. Would need at least 10 to have a chance.

I think 4 are really near locks- throwing Creighton in with the top 3. PC should get to good shape as well. Any of those 5 get to 9 conference wins, they'll be totally safe. St John's, Marquette, and Butler have some work to do still- not just OOC but all 3 of those probably will need 10 conference wins to feel safe. The problem for those 3 is they don't have many great OOC wins- and unless St John's can upset Duke, Marquette upsets Wisconsin, or Butler upsets Purdue- they won't. So they're going to have to do really well for themselves in conference play.
stever20

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:51 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:One of the worst games I’ve ever seen any 2 teams play but Johnnies get the win. That’s 3 games straight that were nail biters. Was really hoping we’d at least make finals to play WVU but I figured the best I could realistically hope for was 2-1 and that’s what we did. Would be nice to win one of these tourneys for a change, but in recent history we struggle mightily in them. The key though is no bad losses and 2-1 kept our tourney hopes alive. Must beat Sacred Heart and Grand Canyon...a win vs. ASU will be very hard but we can do it. Can’t afford to lose to anyone but ASU and Duke for rest of OOC. I do kinda wish we scheduled better, because if our best win OOC is UCF or OSU that’s bad. Wish we could’ve played a few ranked teams we could realistically beat.

Nice bonus to crap on the AAC once again.

Missouri, Arizona State, and Duke likely will be legit games. Of course, you wanna win all games, but losing those games won't hurt our RPI much. Hopefully, we're able to at least get one of those games between Arizona State and Duke.

Take care of business in conference by getting 9 or 10 wins, and we should be fine. Winning a game or two in the Big East tournament will also be a boost to our resume'. It's a long season, so I'll allow things to play out and see where it goes.

In regards to yesterday's game, it was ugly. Thankfully, we got the win. Burn the tape and move on to the next game. We did block an incredibly, number of shots. The Johnnies blocked 15 shots! The defense has improved, and we're also gonna garner steals and block shots.

Again, it's a long season and let's see how we clean up or mask our weaknesses.
Red Rooster

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board