NCAA Should Move The 3-Point Distance Back 3 Feet...

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:08 pm

Quick message, which i've supported for a while.

Just my opinion, but the NCAA three-point distance should increase from the current 20 feet 9 inches, to the NBA distance of 23 feet 9 inches.

Yes, it's "The Great Equalizer" vs great Big Men, but i think it's too common and easy. Back it up a little in my opinion.

At 20'-9", i think it tends to discourage teams running good offenses and having good ball movement. The line was set back a foot a while back already.

The game as it currently stands often tends to be less about skill and good offense, and more about if some dorky shooting guard can get hot from three. A team an execute a terrific gameplan for 35 minutes, build a double-digit lead, but it can all be lost quickly due, again, due to my hypothetical dork (ok, not necessarily hypothetical, cuz i'm envisioning the McQuaid dork on Michigan State).
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: NCAA Should Move The 3-Point Distance Back 3 Feet...

Postby billyjack » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:34 pm

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this?
At the time i started the thread, PC was 3rd in the nation in 3-point percentage.

The 3-point shot would still be an option, but at NBA distance.
This would also prep players for the NBA game.

Sure, this may have derived from watching Belmont, Rider, Brown and Stony Brook shoot 97% from three.
Providence
billyjack

Postby BigmanU » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Not really answering your question, but moving the three point line back would separate gunners from the true sharpshooters. It may actually make the scoring totals dip because of the drop in skill level of NCAA players. I feel the NCAA line is equal and for all parties and teams just need to do a better job of defending it. The Belmont, Rider, Brown and Stony Brook players of the world would have loved to play on BEast teams, but we didn't recruit for whatever reason. Now I guess, we have to reap what we sow.
BigmanU

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:53 pm

They're not going to make it where you go from 19-9 in HS to 23-9. That's crazy talk....

Also, Belmont, Rider, Brown, and Stony Brook went a combined 35-101 or 34.7%. The problem for Providence in those games is they allowed those 4 teams to shoot 50% from 2 point range. And it has shown as well in the 3 losses, where opponents are shooting 65-111 from 2 point range, or 58.6%(which would be #340 in the country for all games). (lets just say it's a good thing they didn't play Purdue).....
stever20

Postby ArmyVet » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:24 pm

I sort of like the dorky guy shooting three and enjoy seeing an undersized guard who has honed his craft play even with a Lebron-esque athlete because of he has skill instead of simply athleticism.
ArmyVet

Postby billyjack » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:41 am

Thanks forvthe feedback, good points from everyone.

I'm joking about this being about Belmont and Stony Brook. I've felt this way for a long time actually.

Lol on the dork thing... that totally fits me too.

I don't like the idea that a team can outplay their opponent for 35 minutes, and build a 12-14-16 point lead, yet an quick barrage of late threes can allow the losing team to come back.

Like, a 12 point lead with 4 minutes left is not safe. Toss in the fact that, in my opinion, the refs casually screw up calls late in games. Last night Creighton had a double-digit lead all night. Game was a 10 to 14 point lead with under 4.

The refs gave a series of 50-50 or completely shitty calls to Arlington... the Harrell offensive foul on his drive to the hoop where he basically blew by the guy... omg the over-the-back call on an offensive rebound on Krampelj... the play where a UTA guy cut across the lane and literally threw the ball out of bounds and they said in flicked off Creighton... UTA guy no call on Eurostep probable travel for layup... the wtf UTA elbow to Harrell's jaw that they didn't call which would have been the 4th foul on UTA's big guy... there were like 3-4-5 possessions where they hosed Creighton, and up 12 it's a 4 possession game.

With the ultra-short 3 point line, it's like a bogus way to reward suckiness in the guise of giving a weaker team a chance at an upset.

I hate the idea of college hoops being more like the NBA where teams often easily come back from 20 point leads. Ironically i'm looking to remedy the situation by adopting the NBA 23'-9" distance.

Couple of other points...

- the high school distance being at 19-9 is irrelevant to the college game changing to 23-9. Who cares. The freshmen would need to adjust. We have 22 year old senior college kids shooting threes from 20-9... i mean, i could almost get a urination stream to reach that distance, that's how short it is.

- in the PC games, i think 1st half 3-point shooting percentages for those opponents were very high, forcing the Friars to play out on the perimeter, and leading to some easy layups (aling with sucky slow defense). I don't have numbers in front of me, would be a great assignment for Stever, but i would guess that Stony Brook and Brown were close to 50% from 3 in the 1st half. And Stony Brook hit their first 2 threes in the 2nd, so at that point they were 6 for 10. Rider also hit their first 2 threes in the 2nd.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:17 am

really billyjack it's not been-
the 4 games you're looking at:
5-19 6-14 vs Belmont
2-7 7-12 vs Rider
5-12 2-8 0-4 vs Brown
6-17 2-8 vs Stony Brook
18-53 17-42 0-4
1h/2h/ot

ironically PC shot better than opponent in 3 of the 4 1st halves.
4-11 2-10 vs Belmont
5-11 3-10 vs Rider
2-11 3-9 0-1 vs Brown
4-11 1-7 vs Stony Brook
15-44 9-36 0-1
(these numbers are actually really easy, go to PC basketball website, and then the box scores all have shooting stats broken down by half)

The Umass game was the worst- they were 7-13 in 1st half from 3.
stever20

Postby paulxu » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:29 am

My interest is much more mundane.
In college and MLB, the basepaths are 90'.
In college and NFL, the field is 100 yds long.

There was much concern about the 30 second clock change, and it only appears to have improved the game.
No weeping and gnashing of teeth when it was put in. Just business as usual.

I would go to 24 second clock and same 3 pt line.
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:06 am

I am good with adopting NBA rules. But I think you are misjudging what its affects are going to be. The higher the difficulty of that shot the premium is going to only going to increase on 3pt shooters. I'd imagine mid-majors will be loaded with shooters who aren't athletic enough to play high-major and it will only make them better.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby RxJay » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:13 am

Maybe PC should learn to defend the 3 point shot a little better. That might make these little dorks not have the impact on the game that you don’t think they should have. Moving the line back to the NBA length would change the game so no more Cinderella type teams could be successful in the tournament. This would really cause a huge dominance by the P5 teams. That would not be good for basketball as we know it. Both Wichita & Cincinnati throw it up with little chance of making it & then crash the boards. That is not good basketball.
Creighton 70
RxJay

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board