(6) Turkey Day Big East Games

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (6) Turkey Day Big East Games

Postby NJRedman » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:01 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:Wow SHU...no excuses for that loss although URI is no pushover. Just get back on track and shake it off. No one’s going undefeated. Thought my Johnnies were cooked. Looked awful for good part of game, shut it off in anger and assumed we lost until I checked score later. Unreal...we show we can beat teams even when off shooting. OSU is better than people think and they were making tons of 3’s. We got gritty and pulled it out. 5-0 playing Mizzou tomorrow...beat them and that’s all we could expect. Beat WVU and it would be an early Christmas.

Now THATS a true fan right there folks.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:34 am

For those still up here at 12:30am EST...

1st half, under 4 minute timeout:
Michigan State 27.
DePaul 26.

MSU was up 10-2.
DePaul went on a 24-10 run, went up 26-20.

MSU then bricked a three, but the shot was so sh-tty that MSU got a bogus bricked rebound for putback.

Anyway MSU on 7-0 run, so 27-26.

DePaul creating turnovers, clogging the lane, crashing the boards. Can't wait for Strus to get hot finally.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Jet915 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:41 am

Depaul tied at the half and they didn't even play that well. Defense was good. Offense wasn't.
Jet915

Postby kayako » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:47 am

Would be pretty comical if DePaul can pull off an upset tonight. But I expect MSU to come out and put the game away in short order.
supernova
kayako

Postby SJUBBALL » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:43 am

Can't sleep, watching some highlights on sports center.

This is random, but seeing highlights of the wooden legacy reminds me of a Providence/Arizona game a couple years back.

A player named Kris Dunn just took over the last couple minutes and it was awesome. He might be my favorite non-SJU big east player ever.
SJUBBALL

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:20 am

SJUBBALL wrote:Can't sleep, watching some highlights on sports center.

This is random, but seeing highlights of the wooden legacy reminds me of a Providence/Arizona game a couple years back.

A player named Kris Dunn just took over the last couple minutes and it was awesome. He might be my favorite non-SJU big east player ever.

An incredible human being. Just happens to be a Connecticut boy. 8-)
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:30 am

Hall2012 wrote:Sorry for embarrassing the league in that game guys. This team looks like it'll be a major disappointment this year.

I don't know about major disappointment. Wasn't The Hall undefeated going into this game?

This game showed the importance of little things. Pirates lost the game at the FT line, shooting 57% while URI missed only one FT, shooting 94%. In addition, too many TO's. Very frustrating when a team dominates on the boards like the Pirates do but then gives away possessions by turning the ball over.

I still think that Seton Hall is positioned to be the best team in the league this year.
Bill Marsh

Postby billyjack » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:21 am

Even without EC Mathews, URI still has a great team. To me, Terrell to me has always been their key player, the one they can't be without.

This isn't a bad loss at all, and it was a neutral site game. 1 point loss. The Hall should still be ranked all year.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Xavier4036 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:56 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:Sorry for embarrassing the league in that game guys. This team looks like it'll be a major disappointment this year.

I don't know about major disappointment. Wasn't The Hall undefeated going into this game?

This game showed the importance of little things. Pirates lost the game at the FT line, shooting 57% while URI missed only one FT, shooting 94%. In addition, too many TO's. Very frustrating when a team dominates on the boards like the Pirates do but then gives away possessions by turning the ball over.

I still think that Seton Hall is positioned to be the best team in the league this year.

Rhode Island didn't have 2 of their starters against Seton Hall: EC Matthews and Cyril Langevine.

This is the same team that also lost to Nevada.... and yet without 2 starts beats Seton Hall.

If you think Seton Hall will be the best team in the Big East this year and they can't be a depleted Rhode Island team who just lost to Nevada...... the Big East is in for a longggg year.
Xavier4036

Postby billyjack » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:37 pm

URI scheduling the last couple of years has had a couple of stinkers.

This year they scheduled at Nevada Reno in the first week of the season. Nevada was getting AP votes, and they're a solid team. So Hurley flew his team 3000 miles (probably Providence to Chicago to Las Vegas to Reno? Or Boston to Vegas to Reno? Or Boston to SF, then bus to Reno? However they got there it had to have been a hassle) for a road game at a mid-major... a very risky game with little reward. And they lost.

Last year URI played at Valpo on a Tuesday night in early December. Another solid mid-major, very risky with little reward. Gotta fly i guess to Chicago, then take 2 hour bus ride to northern Indiana. They lost this game too.

I understand teams want to bolster non-conference but twice at least (plus at Old Dominion and at Houston) he's put his team at a huge disadvantage and came away with L's.
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board