The JP Macura Gator Chomp... Lol...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The JP Macura Gator Chomp... Lol...

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Xudash wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:
BEXU wrote:
You should probably return to your "safe space".

Really? Simply because I didn't care for his acting like a dick? I like how the kid plays; thought he had a hell of a game last night. Just thought as a Sr. leader and representative of Xavier University that he could have been a bit more mature.

I generally agree with you on this.

But I'll now contradict myself:

1. Big opponent as part of the Gavitt Games.

2. Great road venue with 17k and an obviously hostile crowd.

3. Yes, it doesn't justify a particular response, but the Whisky student section was not angelic.

4. Major, major league payback for what happened in the Tournament 2 years ago.

Was I happy that he did it, no, not really, but I laughed my ass off, and some of the faces in that Whisky student section make for priceless pictures, too.

I should also clarify... I really didn't mind the gesture itself. Thought it was clever. My support for it waned after he wouldn't stop. He got taken out of the game and then ran down to the end of the bench and kept up the antics. I think Mack stepped in at the right time. Let the kid express what he felt he needed to express but stop short of acting like they (student section) did. He really played great. The alley-oop was a beautiful cap to his night.

Just my take...
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby XtoDC » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:34 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
Xudash wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:
Really? Simply because I didn't care for his acting like a dick? I like how the kid plays; thought he had a hell of a game last night. Just thought as a Sr. leader and representative of Xavier University that he could have been a bit more mature.

I generally agree with you on this.

But I'll now contradict myself:

1. Big opponent as part of the Gavitt Games.

2. Great road venue with 17k and an obviously hostile crowd.

3. Yes, it doesn't justify a particular response, but the Whisky student section was not angelic.

4. Major, major league payback for what happened in the Tournament 2 years ago.

Was I happy that he did it, no, not really, but I laughed my ass off, and some of the faces in that Whisky student section make for priceless pictures, too.

I should also clarify... I really didn't mind the gesture itself. Thought it was clever. My support for it waned after he wouldn't stop. He got taken out of the game and then ran down to the end of the bench and kept up the antics. I think Mack stepped in at the right time. Let the kid express what he felt he needed to express but stop short of acting like they (student section) did. He really played great. The alley-oop was a beautiful cap to his night.

Just my take...

I totally get that there is a line, and JP sure flirts with it, but as long as it's silly stuff like the Gator chomp and shit talking back and forth with his peers then I like letting him show his personality. If after his alley oop he had gotten in the face of a Wisconsin player and started staring them down or something then I have a problem with it. If he starts tripping people and doing intentional things that could hurt someone else I have a problem with it. Right now what JP does may not be #CLASSY, but it does add more fun to things.
XtoDC

Postby Xer4ever » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:32 pm

JP’s just a highly Uber competitor. That being said, I’ve always respected the athlete that also exhibits good sportsmanship.
Sadly, I’m afraid that like so many things today, good sportsmanship is not taught, coached, or expected.
Xer4ever

Postby paulxu » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:47 pm

From Wikipedia on the Wisky student section:

The Grateful Red holds 2,100 students and extends from the floor to the roof of the Kohl Center, a span of three decks. Under former coach Bo Ryan, the men's basketball team achieved a record of 133–10 at home and held a 24-game home winning streak through the 2006-07 season. They currently are owned by J.P Macura who made them their daddy after Xavier beat Wisconsin 80-70 on Thursday November 16th.

From Yahoo on what's great about that game:

But the best part of college hoops is the environment of playing a big game on campus. The crowd, the student section, players like Macura doing the Gator Chomp at the Wisconsin fans – the Badgers lost to Florida in the NCAA tournament last year – after they spent the entire second half bombarding him with ‘a******’ chants every time he touched the ball.

It was great.

https://sports.yahoo.com/no-15-xavier-w ... 31871.html
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu

Postby xbr1 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:45 pm

JP is a great guy. He pushes the envelope on the court, which I love, but he is awesome of the court. I met him with my son and he couldn't have been nicer.
xbr1

Postby schmidy43 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Just my take...[/quote]
https://twitter.com/BarstoolXU/status/9 ... 6039249921

That's why he continued when he went to the bench.
schmidy43

Postby BEXU » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:19 pm

People chanting Bullsh*t, Dick and A - Hole at you all night might get you fired up a little. Mack probably told the team if they didn't like it, WIN THE GAME!
BEXU

Postby Westbrook#36 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:38 pm

He's a guy you love on your team, but absolutely hate if he's on the other team. He's a kid, should he tone it down a bit? Yeah probably, but I'm not going to kill him for it. Just think he enjoys being a bit of a dick on court, I love his competitive fire. That said, he or X fans really can't complain if a player on another player does the same type of stuff if they come out ahead.
Westbrook#36

Postby anXUfan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:47 pm

That’s fair.
anXUfan

Postby ljay » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:19 pm

Great response to the fans chanting asshole at him all night. UW fans got what they deserved. I can’t believe this is even an issue. Steve Stricker needs to change his diaper.

Agreed he did it too long. If he would have done it while laughing at the fans instead of the scowl it also would have been a better look.
ljay

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board