NBA Draft- 1 and done era over???

The home for Big East hoops

NBA "one and done" rule to end?

Postby admin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:33 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/adam-silver-ri ... 21752.html

NBA commissioner Adam Silver has observed a sudden shift in market trends in college basketball just as a massive scandal involving agents, coaches and shoe companies has overwhelmed the sport.

The combination, he said Monday, will likely cause the end of the NBA’s so-called “one-and-done” rule, which would dramatically alter how young basketball talent is developed while changing how college teams are built.

Since 2005, a player has had to be at least 19 years old or one year past high school to be eligible for the NBA draft. The days of that rule appear numbered. The era of LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, and, indeed, any number of unprepared busts going straight from the prom to the pros will likely return in some form.
admin
Site Admin

NBA "one and done" rule to end?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: NBA "one and done" rule to end?

Postby stever20 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:34 pm

admin wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/adam-silver-right-calling-end-one-done-rule-170421752.html

NBA commissioner Adam Silver has observed a sudden shift in market trends in college basketball just as a massive scandal involving agents, coaches and shoe companies has overwhelmed the sport.

The combination, he said Monday, will likely cause the end of the NBA’s so-called “one-and-done” rule, which would dramatically alter how young basketball talent is developed while changing how college teams are built.

Since 2005, a player has had to be at least 19 years old or one year past high school to be eligible for the NBA draft. The days of that rule appear numbered. The era of LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, and, indeed, any number of unprepared busts going straight from the prom to the pros will likely return in some form.

read this article earlier today. Think it's interesting that one point they brought up was Simmons and Fultz the last 2 years not going to the NCAA tourney. Making it not as effective for the NBA to have them in college.

It will be fascinating to see what this does with recruiting. What does this do with Kentucky and Duke with their recruiting?
stever20

NBA Draft- 1 and done era over???

Postby stever20 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:08 am

Saw this on ESPN:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2144 ... basketball

Nevertheless, there's a growing belief within the league that Silver's desire to end the one-and-done -- the ability of college basketball players to enter the NBA draft after playing one year in college -- could be pushing the sport closer to high school players having the opportunity to directly enter the league again. For that change to happen, though, the union would probably need to cede the one-and-done rule and agree to a mandate that players entering college must stay two years before declaring for the draft.

This will be something to bare watching. Don't think it'll be in place for the '18 draft- but '19 could very well be like that. Would be really interesting to see what happens with I'd say Kentucky in particular- but even with a Duke(though I think they would be ok). Probably would see about 10-15 high school guys skip college.
stever20

Re: NBA Draft- 1 and done era over???

Postby cu blujs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:59 am

I wonder if they would let HS kids "declare", attend the camps and then decide by May or so whether to go to college instead. Or, do it like baseball, where the kid can get drafted, negotiate and decide by end of July or so whether to sign, including a NBAD league (or whatever its called now) contract, or go to college for say a minimum of two years. That could put the Duke's and KY in a quandary in signing those kids. Or, could they do it like hockey where I think the kid can get drafted, giving the pro team rights to the kid for the future, but then go to or stay in school. And, I think an undrafted college kid can elect to quit college and sign a free agent contract at any time. Pretty sure UNO in Omaha has lost a couple of good hockey players midseason in that fashion over the years. How funny would it be for an NBA team to pluck a Grayson Allen out of Duke March 1st, because they lost someone to injury and they think he can help them for their stretch run.
cu blujs

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:22 pm

With the rise and legitimacy of the G-League, the current scandals within college basketball, and the general high-quality (yet undeveloped) talent coming out of high school, now is the perfect time to change the protocols for the NBA Draft. I am a huge fan of the NBA going to the MLB model (can declare after high school, go to school if unsigned/unwilling to sign, not eligible to be drafted until after junior year of college). I would absolutely settle for the two-and-done expectation as well, because that gets rid of the "student-athletes" that stop going to class after the first semester, because they know they aren't returning and there is no penalty to missing.

I wouldn't be worried about Kentucky or Duke, as they would just amend their recruiting strategies. They are still blue chip programs and can get who they want.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:06 pm

There are some interesting motivations here. I think it should be remembered that there are absolutely zero reasons for the NBA to care about the welfare of the NCAA and vice versa.

If I were commissioner, I would drop all age limits and stop letting the NCAA leach of our talent. Expand the G-League and rewrite NBA contracts so players can move up and down more easily.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby TrueBlueJay » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:15 pm

If Apple, Microsoft, Google or any other company in the United States of America wants to hire a 17 or 18 year old kid they don't get stopped...why should the NBA be any different?

This isn't Russia. Is this Russia? This isn't Russia, is it? I didn't think so.
TrueBlueJay

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:24 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:If Apple, Microsoft, Google or any other company in the United States of America wants to hire a 17 or 18 year old kid they don't get stopped...why should the NBA be any different?

+1
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby XtoDC » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:24 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:If Apple, Microsoft, Google or any other company in the United States of America wants to hire a 17 or 18 year old kid they don't get stopped...why should the NBA be any different?

This doesn't make any sense. The NBA is the one that implemented the rule, not college basketball. If the NBA thinks hiring 18 year olds improves the NBA they would never have implemented it.

The reason the NBA implemented the rule was to improve the quality of player coming into the league. 18 year olds that suck and use up a roster spot on the end of the bench don't help the NBA. But maybe after a year in college against better competition the scouts can more correctly assess a player's talent (less busts wasting roster spots), the players are more well known and easier to turn into stars for the NBA (more name recognition, more interest), and guys that are slightly more ready for NBA level competition (better talent pool in the league).
XtoDC

Return to Big East basketball message board