(3) Thurs BE Games - Nov 16th 2017...

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:29 am

Three games tonight, all vs F-5 schools.

Thurs Nov 16th 2017:
Nebraska at St John's, 6:30pm, FS1.
#14 Xavier at Wisconsin, 8:30pm, FS1.
Providence vs Washington, 9pm, ESPN-2, at Madison Square Garden.

The Johnnies looking to go 3-0, at home, should take care of business. Remember a couple-few years ago when Nebraska, though they've never won an NCAA Tourney game ever, was the trendy pick and were ranked in preseason based on maybe just like a guy on the roster having a cool pony tail or something, but then they once again sucked, yeah that was funny.

Xavier has just rolled all competition so far, without breaking a sweat, and they have a great chance for a solid road win at Wisconsin. I think those 3 main Badger guys have graduated, especially that Koenig guard who twice burned Big East teams in the tourney. Take Koenig out of the picture, and Villanova and X advance, and recent BE history is so much better, but right if our aunt had stones, or if Napoleon had a B-1 bomber and all that.

Providence at MSG in a huge and winnable game against Mike Hopkins's Huskies. I know very little about UW but a loss to them would suck. Hoping the Friars can run them off the floor. I'm thinking and hoping that Minnesota is a Top-5 team this year, which will make our competitive loss to them look better and better. Friday, tomorrow night, PC will follow up with either Virginia Tech or Saint Louis.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: (3) Thurs BE Games - Nov 16th 2017...

Postby cu blujs » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:29 am

St. Johns game won't be a gimmie. Nebraska has more scoring capability this year than they have had in some time. They still shouldn't be able to match St. John's, but they don't flat out suck like they have the last few years. If St. John's doesn't play well, Nebraska could get them. And, Nebraska has Isaac Copeland this year, so they will have someone with some familiarity with St. Johns.

Xavier will be a tough game. Wisconsin has looked pretty darn good so far. They are shooting over 50% as a team through 4 games (granted against lesser opponents). They have to guys shooting over 60% from 3 to this point. Hopefully, Xavier brings it.
cu blujs

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:47 am

cu blujs wrote:St. Johns game won't be a gimmie. Nebraska has more scoring capability this year than they have had in some time. They still shouldn't be able to match St. John's, but they don't flat out suck like they have the last few years. If St. John's doesn't play well, Nebraska could get them. And, Nebraska has Isaac Copeland this year, so they will have someone with some familiarity with St. Johns.

Only two players remain on the Johnnies' team since Copeland last played against St. John's. They are Kassoum Yakwe and Amar Alibegovic.

Basically put, this is a totally, different St. John's team he'll be facing tonight.
Red Rooster

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:59 am

Looking forward to this game. This is the type of game that will give a big clue where the team is at. If they're ready to take the next step and seriously compete for the tourney, they will win tonight. Nebraska is not to be taken lightly by any means but they are no Michigan State. They are not a good shooting team and will rely on dominating the paint which is the big concern. We shoot very well, they don't defend shooters very well. We have awful size and interior defense, they have good size and interior offense. Something will have to give. I don't think Nebraska is prepared for our quickness and shooters all over the floor.
MullinMayhem

Postby Jet915 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:04 pm

If SJU is serious about being an NCAA team then they have to win this game.
Jet915

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:26 pm

Jet915 wrote:If SJU is serious about being an NCAA team then they have to win this game.

+1000
Red Rooster

Postby Bluejay » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:45 pm

MullinMayhem wrote: I don't think Nebraska is prepared for our quickness and shooters all over the floor.

They are never ready for ours!

Nebraska has some big guys, but they are not great players. Their main big guy, Tshimanga, has a propensity to get into foul trouble too. Nebraska scores a lot in the paint via driving guards, not via post players. Clog the paint on defense and force them to shoot from the outside; they aren't very good at it most of the time (even though they are a touch better this year).

Gotta win this one at home SJU. I don't need to hear Husker fans bragging tomorrow. They are all pretty salty since their football team sucks and are dying to be relevant in something.

If you are going to the game, watch Nebraska's coach. He is a mega dork on the sideline with super exaggerated expressions and mannerisms. Like Mullin, he gets rattled if the crowd heckles him, so really go at him hard. :D
Bluejay

Postby MUPanther » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:52 pm

Nebraska at St. John's 5:30PM CT
TV: FS1- Brian Custer p-b-p & Jim Spanarkel color

Xavier at Wisconsin 7:30PM
TV: FS1- Tim Brando Play by Play & Bill Raftery color

Providence vs. Washington 8:00PM
TV: ESPN2 - Jon Sciambi, Sean Farnham
2K Sports Classic semifinal (MSG)
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby pki1998 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Just saw the score of the St. John's game. I know Nebraska isn't going to win the Big Ten this year. But being up 19 (71-52) against a Big Ten team is a good sign. I said it before the season and I'll say it again. The Johnies will make the dance this year
Xavier
pki1998

Postby sju88grad » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:33 pm

pki1998 wrote:Just saw the score of the St. John's game. I know Nebraska isn't going to win the Big Ten this year. But being up 19 (71-52) against a Big Ten team is a good sign. I said it before the season and I'll say it again. The Johnies will make the dance this year

I hope you’re right PK! Really happy with the win tonight. They looked great. Defense seems improved which was our biggest issue last season. Good luck against Wisconsin!
sju88grad

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board