AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

The home for Big East hoops

Re: AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:10 pm

stever20 wrote:
whiteandblue77 wrote:If Georgetown beats Syracuse, which is a top 25 rpi team, GT will skyrocket in the rpi and their schedule will be seen as "visionary." Could be the reason they make the tourney. And guess what, you'll start to see other power conference teams doing it, especially the ones with 20 conference games.

The problem for Georgetown is their OOC SOS is predictably 351 projected. Overall SOS is projected as #96(in the top 7 conferences only 3 lower AAC schools have worse overall SOS than Georgetown does).

For Georgetown to get a top 60 RPI- they would need to go 21-8.

Heck, I would say for Georgetown to just make the NIT, they're going to need to finish with 20 wins. 18-11 record gets them a RPI of 97.2. 19-10 80.5. 20-9 gets them only a 66 RPI.

I think it's far more likely that Georgetown would be a reminder that SOS absolutely matters.

And honestly...even if Georgetown did win enough to get their resume into the bubble-in range, the selection committee has a history of punishing teams for bad non-conference schedules. I think the Hoyas need to run the table OOC (obviously) and win at least 10 Big East games to feel comfortable on Selection Sunday.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
stever20 wrote:
whiteandblue77 wrote:If Georgetown beats Syracuse, which is a top 25 rpi team, GT will skyrocket in the rpi and their schedule will be seen as "visionary." Could be the reason they make the tourney. And guess what, you'll start to see other power conference teams doing it, especially the ones with 20 conference games.

The problem for Georgetown is their OOC SOS is predictably 351 projected. Overall SOS is projected as #96(in the top 7 conferences only 3 lower AAC schools have worse overall SOS than Georgetown does).

For Georgetown to get a top 60 RPI- they would need to go 21-8.

Heck, I would say for Georgetown to just make the NIT, they're going to need to finish with 20 wins. 18-11 record gets them a RPI of 97.2. 19-10 80.5. 20-9 gets them only a 66 RPI.

I think it's far more likely that Georgetown would be a reminder that SOS absolutely matters.

And honestly...even if Georgetown did win enough to get their resume into the bubble-in range, the selection committee has a history of punishing teams for bad non-conference schedules. I think the Hoyas need to run the table OOC (obviously) and win at least 10 Big East games to feel comfortable on Selection Sunday.

Frankly, I think it'd be 11. 21-8 only would get the Hoyas a 57.8 RPI. Their overall SOS is that bad. It's worse than 5 MVC schools, 3 MWC schools, and even 4 A10 schools.
stever20

Postby ThrowDownDBrown » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:20 am

This conversation is pretty irrelevant. Georgetown will be lucky to win 5 conference games this year.
ThrowDownDBrown

Postby adoraz » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:07 am

adoraz wrote:Going to be a great week for the 3 currently ranked teams! Not so much due to big wins, but due to poor losses.

#4 Villanova (prediction- #2): W vs #17 Gonzaga & La Salle: This is tough. I could see them anywhere from #1-3. They'll definitely pass Kansas. I could still see Duke being #1 due to BC shooting lights out. Or MSU remain one spot ahead despite playing lesser competition. I'll say #2 even though I think they should be #1. Really 50-50 here.
#13 Xavier (prediction- #9): W vs Kent St & Colorado: I expect them to pass #12 Gonzaga, #9 Notre Dame, #2 Kansas, #5 Florida, maybe #7 Texas A&M. I could see #16 ASU passing them.
#19 Seton Hall (prediction- #15): W vs VCU: Should pass #17 Cincy, #15 UVA, #14 Minnesota, maybe #12 Gonzaga (pending outcome tonight), maybe #9 Notre Dame, maybe #5 Florida, maybe #2 Kansas. Don't think they'll be passed by anyone.

So, I thought we had a shot at 3 top 15 teams last week, but this week we should reach that! At worse I see 3 Top 16 teams.

Would be great to see Xavier in the top 10. Nova badly needs competition and SHU and Xavier should give them that this year.

I got pretty close last week, just Xavier and Duke (edit: I slipped up and called Nova Duke here lol, maybe good reason for that?) off by one spot. For tomorrow:

#1 Villanova (prediction- #1): W @ Temple. Will remain at #1.
#10 Xavier (prediction- #10): W vs ETSU. Close call but got the W. #3 WSU was the only team ahead of them to lose. Honestly, WSU's resume isn't worthy of a top 10 spot at the moment. They now have 2 losses, to Oklahoma and Notre Dame. They won @ Baylor and have a few wins vs decent teams. It's a good resume no doubt but not top 10 at the moment, if you look at their RPI it is 25 (below my Johnnies at #22). That said, I don't expect WSU to drop out of the top 10, so Xavier will remain at #10.
#15 Seton Hall (prediction- #21): W vs St. Peter's & L @ Rutgers. I know Stever in another thread made a post about how they could drop out since most the teams behind them won, but that's not how the polls work. Voters won't just knock them completely out for losing an away game, even if most the rest of the Top 25 doesn't lose. They only have 2 losses and a solid resume. Teams #18-#20 all lost so SHU shouldn't drop that much.

#26 Creighton (prediction- #26): W vs MES. Unfortunately for Creighton there wasn't much movement at the back of the polls this week. #22 Florida lost to Clemson and they should absolutely drop out since they now have 4 losses. Teams #18-#20 all lost (mostly acceptable losses) but probably not enough to get knocked out of the rankings (and same being true for #15 SHU of course lol). Oklahoma (#27) will be ranked and take Florida's spot.

So will be another solid week, with SHU losing some ground but not much else happening. I think that Creighton will make it into the rankings by BE play and we should have 4 teams ranked. Nova and Xavier should have no problem remaining ranked until beginning of January. SHU will get knocked out prior if they slip up again.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby paulxu » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:59 am

Those look like Massey ratings, except for X.
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu

Postby whiteandblue77 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:22 am

ESPN Power Rankings Out: 2 in Top ten, 4 in top 25.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... g-strength
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby bluejayfanatic » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Jays sneak back into the AP poll at #25.

#1 Villanova
#9 Xavier
#23 Seton Hall
#25 Creighton
bluejayfanatic

Postby adoraz » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Wow! 4 ranked teams! Glad to be wrong on Creighton. Notre Dame was the other team to drop out (aside from Florida). Looking at ND's resume, they definitely don't deserve a Top 25 ranking so glad they're gone.

#1 Nova
#9 Xavier (as I said they deserved to pass WSU but didn't think the AP voters would drop WSU out of the Top 10 yet)
#23 Seton Hall
#25 Creighton

Let's maintain these 4 teams going into BE play!
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby kayako » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Slightly better on the coaches poll:

1 Nova
8 Xavier
22 Seton Hall
24 Creighton

4 teams is great, but I'd like to see a team or two in the also receiving votes section.
supernova
kayako

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:10 pm

Welcome back Jays - stay a while.

As for arv teams...c'mon Butler, Prov, Marq, and Johnnies.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board