AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

The home for Big East hoops

Re: AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

Postby adoraz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:58 pm

stever20 wrote:
jfan wrote:Creighton was 29th in the AP and 28th in the Coaches and we won 2 games, so there is a chance we could be ranked. With all the variables, you never know. Wouldn't be surprised either way!

problem for Creighton is unranked teams like Florida St, Texas Tech, Arizona got ranked wins this week and all will easily pass Creighton one would think.

Stever trying to defend his ridiculous argument from earlier lol.

Creighton won't be ranked tomorrow. No matter what, it was going to be extremely unlikely for Creighton to get ranked this week. I've been following these polls closely for years, and unless you beat a quality opponent, you're not going to move from 29 to 25 in one week. If you're NOT playing a quality opponent, it takes both 1) at least 4 teams dropping completely out of the rankings and 2) no teams behind you getting quality wins and passing you. Obviously if good teams are losing, often they are losing to quality opponents who are sometimes unranked... so you'll either have neither or one or the other. Both combined just doesn't happen that often.

General rule of thumb: when non-BE Top 25 teams lose, it's good for the BE. Don't bother replying with examples of when this ISN'T good, because that's not an absolute rule. But generally, more often than not it is.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:34 pm

adoraz wrote:
stever20 wrote:
jfan wrote:Creighton was 29th in the AP and 28th in the Coaches and we won 2 games, so there is a chance we could be ranked. With all the variables, you never know. Wouldn't be surprised either way!

problem for Creighton is unranked teams like Florida St, Texas Tech, Arizona got ranked wins this week and all will easily pass Creighton one would think.

Creighton won't be ranked tomorrow. No matter what, it was going to be extremely unlikely for Creighton to get ranked this week. I've been following these polls closely for years, and unless you beat a quality opponent, you're not going to move from 29 to 25 in one week. If you're NOT playing a quality opponent, it takes both 1) at least 4 teams dropping completely out of the rankings and 2) no teams behind you getting quality wins and passing you. Obviously if good teams are losing, often they are losing to quality opponents who are sometimes unranked... so you'll either have neither or one or the other. Both combined just doesn't happen that often.

General rule of thumb: when non-BE Top 25 teams lose, it's good for the BE. Don't bother replying with examples of when this ISN'T good, because that's not an absolute rule. But generally, more often than not it is.

2 teams did lose low in the top 20 this week.
#22 Nevada lost 2x
#25 USC lost(3rd straight now)

Creighton will be lucky to be ranked #29 tomorrow.

And yeah, upsets can be good for some teams in conferences but not other teams in the same conferences. If an unranked team upsets a ranked team- the teams already ranked are helped by it. But the teams not ranked just have it that much tougher to get ranked.
stever20

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:48 pm

adoraz wrote:
stever20 wrote:

Good explanation.

IMO I doubt the Big East will be #1 in RPI when its all said and done. That spot will most likely go to the B12. But I think the #2 spot is attainable and its enough to potentially get 7 teams back in the NCAA Tournament . The league has to keep avoiding bad losses and get some additional Major wins prior to league play. It's going to be fun to see this RPI race between the BIGEAST/ACC for 2nd place.

Finishing the OOC portion with .800 or more winning percentage would be huge on its own!
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby stever20 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:17 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:
Good explanation.

IMO I doubt the Big East will be #1 in RPI when its all said and done. That spot will most likely go to the B12. But I think the #2 spot is attainable and its enough to potentially get 7 teams back in the NCAA Tournament . The league has to keep avoiding bad losses and get some additional Major wins prior to league play. It's going to be fun to see this RPI race between the BIGEAST/ACC for 2nd place.

Finishing the OOC portion with .800 or more winning percentage would be huge on its own!

Getting 7 teams in the tourney will be really tough. The specific teams that would likely be the 6th and 7th teams haven't fared all that well OOC play. Only 5 teams could finish 9-9 in conference play and feel totally safe getting in the tourney. Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall, Butler, and Creighton. St John's would be pretty safe I think. Providence and Marquette would have RPI's in the 49/50 range.

And the only ones who could finish 8-10 in conference play and feel good about their tourney chances- Nova, Xavier, Seton Hall.
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:18 pm

Just one AP voter but Seth Davis added Creighton back on his ballot this week at #22.
Jet915

Postby ecasadoSBU » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:26 am

stever20 wrote:
ecasadoSBU wrote:
Good explanation.

Getting 7 teams in the tourney will be really tough. The specific teams that would likely be the 6th and 7th teams haven't fared all that well OOC play. Only 5 teams could finish 9-9 in conference play and feel totally safe getting in the tourney. Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall, Butler, and Creighton. St John's would be pretty safe I think. Providence and Marquette would have RPI's in the 49/50 range.

And the only ones who could finish 8-10 in conference play and feel good about their tourney chances- Nova, Xavier, Seton Hall.

Dude. You spent the entire year last year saying how it was almost impossible to get 7 bids. You should learn your lesson and just wait and see
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:45 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:
stever20 wrote:
ecasadoSBU wrote:
Good explanation.

Dude. You spent the entire year last year saying how it was almost impossible to get 7 bids. You should learn your lesson and just wait and see

The teams that barely made the NCAA tourney last year- Providence, Marquette, and Xavier- had better OOC resumes than bubble teams this year do. And that's what gets teams in the tourney, not conferences.

And note, I think the conference could get fewer teams in the tourney but get better seeds- and that IMO is better for the conference.
stever20

Postby kayako » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:47 am

It's too early to speculate, but the bids will range from 5 to 8. If I had to guess how it looks at the moment...

Nova, Xavier, Hall - locks
Creighton - relatively safe
Butler - probably on the right side of the bubble
Johnnies - bubble
Marquette, Providence - fringe bubble
Georgetown - who knows
DePaul - need to win the BET

Let's just finish the ooc season strong and go from there.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:56 am

kayako wrote:It's too early to speculate, but the bids will range from 5 to 8. If I had to guess how it looks at the moment...

Nova, Xavier, Hall - locks
Creighton - relatively safe
Butler - probably on the right side of the bubble
Johnnies - bubble
Marquette, Providence - fringe bubble
Georgetown - who knows
DePaul - need to win the BET

Let's just finish the ooc season strong and go from there.

I pretty much agree 100% with your assessment. I think Creighton and Butler are both relatively safe(Butler's OOC SOS is pretty comfortably ahead of Creighton so that mitigates the 1 extra projected loss). St John's I think it's really going to hinge on not taking a loss to anyone else OOC but Duke, and then they really need a few good wins in conference play. Really could use UCF having a big season in the AAC. Marquette and Providence will probably need 10 wins at least. Georgetown probably 11(10 if they beat Syracuse).
stever20

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:03 am

I think a week from Wednesday will tell a ton about the Big East potential for tourney teams.... 2 HUGE games at the Mohegan Sun...
St Joe's vs St John's
Houston vs Providence

Those 2 games are as close as you can get to must win games in December as you can get for the Big East schools. losses would give St John's and Providence 3 (with Duke left) and 4 OOC losses, and really force both of those schools to have to win 10 conference games in a what figures to be brutal Big East. Losses by themselves won't be fatal, but it'll make it really difficult to get in the tourney.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board