AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

The home for Big East hoops

Re: AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

Postby hoyahooligan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:35 pm

milksteak wrote:I’m still pissed at GTown for dropping out of PK80 like a bunch of damn cowards. So I say bring on the hate.

Why do you care?

(Not that I was or am in favor of the move) Just don't know why anyone else would care.
hoyahooligan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby milksteak » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:53 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:
milksteak wrote:I’m still pissed at GTown for dropping out of PK80 like a bunch of damn cowards. So I say bring on the hate.

Why do you care?

(Not that I was or am in favor of the move) Just don't know why anyone else would care.

Are...are you serious? It's insanely detrimental to GTown's SOS, which negatively affects all 10 of us, not just Georgetown. As of this very moment, Georgetown has the worst SOS in the country. And that isn't a hyperbole. They are literally 351st in SOS. And they're decently far behind Duquesne, who owns the 350th SOS.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Jet915 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:05 pm

milksteak wrote:
hoyahooligan wrote:

Why do you care?

Are...are you serious? It's insanely detrimental to GTown's SOS, which negatively affects all 10 of us, not just Georgetown. As of this very moment, Georgetown has the worst SOS in the country. And that isn't a hyperbole. They are literally 351st in SOS. And they're decently far behind Duquesne, who owns the 350th SOS.

They are 8-0 and their RPI is 194. This should explain everything.
Jet915

Postby DudeAnon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:13 pm

Georgetown did what they thought was best for themselves, I would expect each school to do the same.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby adoraz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Going to be a great week for the 3 currently ranked teams! Not so much due to big wins, but due to poor losses.

#4 Villanova (prediction- #2): W vs #17 Gonzaga & La Salle: This is tough. I could see them anywhere from #1-3. They'll definitely pass Kansas. I could still see Duke being #1 due to BC shooting lights out. Or MSU remain one spot ahead despite playing lesser competition. I'll say #2 even though I think they should be #1. Really 50-50 here.
#13 Xavier (prediction- #9): W vs Kent St & Colorado: I expect them to pass #12 Gonzaga, #9 Notre Dame, #2 Kansas, #5 Florida, maybe #7 Texas A&M. I could see #16 ASU passing them.
#19 Seton Hall (prediction- #15): W vs VCU: Should pass #17 Cincy, #15 UVA, #14 Minnesota, maybe #12 Gonzaga (pending outcome tonight), maybe #9 Notre Dame, maybe #5 Florida, maybe #2 Kansas. Don't think they'll be passed by anyone.

So, I thought we had a shot at 3 top 15 teams last week, but this week we should reach that! At worse I see 3 Top 16 teams.

Would be great to see Xavier in the top 10. Nova badly needs competition and SHU and Xavier should give them that this year.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby adoraz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:46 pm

I'm a SJU fan and want the best for Georgetown. Really, at the start of the Big East 2.0, they were the team I rooted for more than anyone else because I thought it was critical for them to do well for the league. Fortunately Nova took over that role. That said, the schedule this year is inexcusable and will hurt the conference. I am glad they are undefeated at least, because that is keeping them from dropping into the 200-300s in RPI. Would be great to see them shock Syracuse.

Overall though, I don't think that schedule benefits anyone, including Georgetown. Let's say they go 10-1 or at worst 9-2 OOC (wow, they only have 11 OOC games? I guess due to pulling out of the tournament?). What happens next year, then? A huge part of St. John's pitch under Mullin has been improving every year. Next year Georgetown will obviously need to schedule much tougher, which will most likely result in a worse record OOC. Then they could lose momentum. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I just don't get the long term logic here. I understand not wanting to lose a lot your first year, but they went way too extreme in doing so.

Also, just wanted to point out that for the 5th year in a row the AP has underestimated us. Taking my predictions from above vs the preseason rankings:

#4 Villanova (prediction- #2): Preseason: #6
#13 Xavier (prediction- #9): Preseason: #17
#19 Seton Hall (prediction- #15): Preseason: #23

When tomorrow's AP poll comes out, Nova will be off by about 3-5 spots, Xavier 7-9, and Seton Hall 7-9.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby jfan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:55 pm

Creighton was 29th in the AP and 28th in the Coaches and we won 2 games, so there is a chance we could be ranked. With all the variables, you never know. Wouldn't be surprised either way!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby Devil's Advocate » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:04 pm

milksteak wrote:
hoyahooligan wrote:

Why do you care?

Heads up, Georgetown's spot in the PK80 was taken by DePaul. No idea what the Blue Demons gave up in terms of their previous schedule to make that happen, but to make the case that the conference lost the benefit, that's not totally true. The conference still got matchups with Michigan St. and Oregon.

No disagreement that the Hoyas turned down the schedule too much, but as stated a few posts earlier, they can do whatever they think is right.
Devil's Advocate

Postby stever20 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:23 pm

jfan wrote:Creighton was 29th in the AP and 28th in the Coaches and we won 2 games, so there is a chance we could be ranked. With all the variables, you never know. Wouldn't be surprised either way!

problem for Creighton is unranked teams like Florida St, Texas Tech, Arizona got ranked wins this week and all will easily pass Creighton one would think.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:02 pm

If Georgetown goes 10-1 with SOS of 351, then they only hurt themselves. They've actually done a huge favor for the other 9 of us.

50% of our RPI's are our opponents' records. Georgetown is handing each of us two games vs their 10-1 record. 25% of our RPI's are our opponents' opponents records, but the W-L records of Coppin State and NC A&T get diluted a ton because they're thrown in with like 130 other teams' W-L records.

For us it's better to have them beat Maryland Eastern Shore than lose to some scrub team like UMass... oops...
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board