AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

The home for Big East hoops

Re: AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

Postby stever20 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:18 pm

my rebuttal is simple-
Nova- will be #4(would have been there regardless, as if ND had upset Michigan St, they would have moved ahead of Nova I think)
Xavier- I think they'll be around 13 best case. there's a cap because a lot of teams above that won both games themselves. Duke/Kansas/Mich St/Nova, ND, Florida, Kentucky, Wichita, Texas A&M, Miami, UNC, Gonzaga. Virginia didn't lose. West Virginia and Arizona St didn't lose. So I think 15-16 is pretty realistic
Seton Hall- They'll get in probably around 20 I think???? I should note in the coaches poll they were #24 already. They'll reap the favor of the AAC upsets with UCF over Alabama and even SMU over USC.

Creighton is gone. Providence won't be ranked. St John's I think will need some serious chaos to get in the poll even with an ASU win.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jfan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:52 pm

Creighton remains at #21 in the cbssports 25+1. That poll is just one person's opinion though and I see Creighton in the 26-30 range for both the AP and Coaches polls. The other three could easily be in the top 15 based on the wins they have!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby Jet915 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:46 pm

I'm guessing Creighton will still get votes. The rest of our nonconference is at home. If we can run the table, we might be able to sneak back in by Big East play.
Jet915

Postby kayako » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:24 am

Jet915 wrote:I'm guessing Creighton will still get votes. The rest of our nonconference is at home. If we can run the table, we might be able to sneak back in by Big East play.

This is my thinking as well. A road loss at Gonzaga shouldn't drop them too far, and teams around them will drop.
supernova
kayako

Postby billyjack » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:17 am

stever20 wrote:my rebuttal is simple-
Nova- will be #4(would have been there regardless, as if ND had upset Michigan St, they would have moved ahead of Nova I think)
Xavier- I think they'll be around 13 best case. there's a cap because a lot of teams above that won both games themselves. Duke/Kansas/Mich St/Nova, ND, Florida, Kentucky, Wichita, Texas A&M, Miami, UNC, Gonzaga. Virginia didn't lose. West Virginia and Arizona St didn't lose. So I think 15-16 is pretty realistic
Seton Hall- They'll get in probably around 20 I think???? I should note in the coaches poll they were #24 already. They'll reap the favor of the AAC upsets with UCF over Alabama and even SMU over USC.

Creighton is gone. Providence won't be ranked. St John's I think will need some serious chaos to get in the poll even with an ASU win.

Cincinnati has won 7 games, against teams wth a combned record of 12-39. Big winners of the Cayman Islands Classic, rolling past Buffalo, Richmond and Wyoming. Such an impressive team.

Cincinnati beat Alabama State last Monday before losing in OT to Xavier. Will that be enough to keep the Bearcats in the Top 10...? Their wins over Coppin State and Western Carolina will go a long way come March.
Providence
billyjack

Postby ecasadoSBU » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:22 am

With two top 25 wins I would be disappointed, yet not surprised, if Seton Hall is not within the Top 15. They have done enough to be a TOP 15 team in the country.

I'm sorry to sound like a broken record but I'll say it again. I noticed a pattern over the last few years (or maybe it's just me?)

(1) P5 wins against the Big East teams are often considered big wins and help P5 teams shoot up the rankings and seeding lines

However,

(2) Big East wins over Power-5 teams are usually diminished as a "that P5 team wasn't as good as we thought" which hampers the ability for Big East teams to move up.

I hate the double standard. I have no quantitative proof of it because I haven't done the actual research work. But is a feeling that I get from following these Polls closely.

Lets see where they rank Louisville on this Poll and where they place Seton Hall. I understand polls are meaningless for the most part. But for visibility and hype they mean a lot. This league needs all the hype it can get
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby billyjack » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:32 am

Also, take a good look at Rhode Island.

URI is 5-2, with an RPI of 10.
Only losses were at 8-0 Nevada (RPI 9) and 8-0 Virginia (RPI 12) in Brooklyn.
They have a bunch of seniors, and they're underclassmen contribute.

Already, but especially as the weeks go by, the losses to URI by Seton Hall and PC won't be an issue at all.

Their next game is at Alabama.
Providence
billyjack

Postby kayako » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:48 am

The pre-season poll weights too heavily weeks into the season. Keep in mind that both Baylor and Louisville lost twice last week, so Xavier and Seton Hall fans may not be too happy with the upward movement when the polls come out. We'll see how it goes this afternoon...
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:53 am

billyjack wrote:
stever20 wrote:my rebuttal is simple-

Cincinnati has won 7 games, against teams wth a combned record of 12-39. Big winners of the Cayman Islands Classic, rolling past Buffalo, Richmond and Wyoming. Such an impressive team.

Cincinnati beat Alabama State last Monday before losing in OT to Xavier. Will that be enough to keep the Bearcats in the Top 10...? Their wins over Coppin State and Western Carolina will go a long way come March.

It's funny- you look at the AAC, Cincy right now probably doesn't have one of the 10 most impressive OOC wins of the season so far for the conference. I mean they have SMU over Arizona and USC, UConn over Oregon, Wichita over Baylor and Marquette, UCF over Alabama, Houston over Arkansas, Temple with really any of their 4 wins(ODU, Auburn, Clemson, and S Carolina). So right there are a good 11 wins that are better I think than anything Cincy has so far. It'll be interesting to see if SMU gets ranked today.

1 thing for the Big East- so far AAC opponents are the best wins so far for Xavier and St John's. Providence if they can beat Houston(in a game that could be 10-1 Houston vs 9-2 Providence)- would also have an AAC opponent as their best win so far. So the Big East will have some opponents in the AAC that they're going to be rooting for quite a bit....
stever20

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:09 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:With two top 25 wins I would be disappointed, yet not surprised, if Seton Hall is not within the Top 15. They have done enough to be a TOP 15 team in the country.

I'm sorry to sound like a broken record but I'll say it again. I noticed a pattern over the last few years (or maybe it's just me?)

(1) P5 wins against the Big East teams are often considered big wins and help P5 teams shoot up the rankings and seeding lines

However,

(2) Big East wins over Power-5 teams are usually diminished as a "that P5 team wasn't as good as we thought" which hampers the ability for Big East teams to move up.

I hate the double standard. I have no quantitative proof of it because I haven't done the actual research work. But is a feeling that I get from following these Polls closely.

Lets see where they rank Louisville on this Poll and where they place Seton Hall. I understand polls are meaningless for the most part. But for visibility and hype they mean a lot. This league needs all the hype it can get

I think 1 thing that's hurting Seton Hall to some degree this year is the PK80. I mean, you have some teams that their only loss is in the PK80 and they're getting a pass for it due to how great that tourney was.

And really so far this year what's the Big East's great OOC wins?
Nova over Tennessee
Xavier over 3-5 Wisconsin, Baylor(who lost back to back games), Cincy(who hasn't beaten anyone)
Seton Hall over 4-4 Indiana, 3-5 Vandy, Texas Tech, Louisville(who lost back to back games and hasn't beaten anyone yet like Cincy)
Creighton- over 5-4 Northwestern, UCLA(best win vs Wisconsin)
Providence- over Washington and Boston College
St John's over Nebraska and Oregon St
Butler over Ohio St
Marquette over LSU
Georgetown and DePaul with nothing yet

I think Xavier and Seton Hall's wins over this weekend get dinged because voters will see it more like the opponent was a bit inflated rather than giving credit to them.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board