AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

The home for Big East hoops

Re: AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

Postby stever20 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:09 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:
stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote: Even some teams not receiving any votes this week (like SJU) would be ranked if they win their tournament.

normal situation I'd agree with you with SJU, but I don't think it's that strong of a tourney due to the PK80 tourney. Don't think beating Oregon St, Missouri, and West Virginia would be enough to get into the top 25. And that would be the absolute only possible combo that SJ would have. I mean- they could get instead of Missouri Long Beach St. Instead of West Virginia- Nebraska or UCF. It's normally a great tourney, but just not this season.

I'd say a team like a Marquette would be far more likely. They get VCU, then Wichita, and then either Michigan or Notre Dame. If Marquette were to win Maui, I could see them getting in given the teams they would have beaten.

If SJ goes undefeated and wins the tourney I don't see how we aren't ranked. A few years back we took care of our OOC schedule going something like 9-1 or 10-1 and a win over unranked Cuse is what got us into the top 25 if I remember correctly. You don't have to beat Duke and UNC to be ranked...you just have to consistently win against major conference opponents and take care of the cupcakes. If SJ continues to play anywhere near how they did last game, we will get there.

It was a week later when SJU got ranked. After the Big Ten/ACC challenge- where 3 Big Ten teams lost and fell out of the polls.

Just think the tourney you are in isn't that strong, and won't be enough to propel you into the top 25. Not this week. As more teams lose, that'll be when SJU gets in. Have to remember the year before what you're saying- SJU won 20 games and barely missed tourney. Much more on the radar than this year's start.

It's short of playing a brutal tournament almost impossible to go from getting no votes to getting in top 25.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoopseinstein23 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:09 pm

After Creighton beats UCLA they will be ranked. CU is favored by 4. I just hope the Kansas City Stores dont lose too much on stolen merchandise during the UCLA stay there.
hoopseinstein23

Postby stever20 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:14 pm

hoopseinstein23 wrote:After Creighton beats UCLA they will be ranked. CU is favored by 4. I just hope the Kansas City Stores dont lose too much on stolen merchandise during the UCLA stay there.

Creighton probably has to win both tonight and tomorrow to get ranked.
stever20

Postby adoraz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:40 pm

Looking at this week:
#5 Villanova- Vs Western Kentucky & TBD & TBD. As long as they win 2/3 games, they're guaranteed a ranking.
#15 Xavier- Won Vs Hampton, Vs George Washington & TBD & TBD. As long as they don't lose more than one they're another lock for next week.
#20 Seton Hall (+2)- Vs Rhode Island & TBD. Another tournament. May get knocked out of the rankings with a loss but depends on who they play.

#31 Providence- Vs Belmont & BC. Very doubtful they'll be ranked next week.
#35 Creighton- Won Vs #23 UCLA. Vs TBD (likely #22 Baylor) & SIU-Edwardsville. HUGE win today! Would obviously be ranked if they win the next couple.
NV St. John's- Won Vs Molloy. Vs Oregon State & TBD & TBD. If they beat #23 WVU (yes, they're also #23) in the finals then they'll be ranked next week. Sorry Stever, but this is not up for debate lol.
NV Butler- Vs Texas & TBD & TBD. Looks like a good tournament so they'll be ranked if they win it.
NV Marquette- Won Vs VCU. Vs #6 Wichita State & TBD. Will be ranked if they win this tournament, but obviously tough.
NV DePaul- Vs #2 MSU & TBD & TBD. If they somehow win their tournament they should be ranked despite two losses lol.

So, next week we will almost certainly have at least 3 teams again. I'll guess we get 4 in. Nova, Xavier, SHU, and one of Creighton, SJU, Butler, or Marquette.
Last edited by adoraz on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby kayako » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:46 pm

Nova will play

Wednesday - Western Kentucky
Thursday - Purdue or Tennessee
Friday - Arizona or SMU or NC State, or Northern Iowa

This is not an easy week!
supernova
kayako

Postby Jet915 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:09 pm

kayako wrote:Nova will play

Purdue will be tough.
Jet915

Postby adoraz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:26 pm

kayako wrote:Nova will play

Whoops my fault- I saw WKU and didn't realize it was a tournament. Edited my post.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby xusandy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:47 am

I tend to put more weight on the computer rankings than on the polls. As of this AM, and even after the Creighton and Marquette losses last night, KenPom has 7 of us in the top 50 (Villanova at #1, Xavier at #17, Seton Hall and Providence at #28 and #29,, Creighton at #36, plus St. John's (YES, you guys!) and Butler also in the 50. That's 7 of our 10 teams in the top 50, and Marquette is not far behind at #56. Only Georgetown (#74) and DePaul (#124) have KenPoms which suggest that they're probably not getting big dance tickets next March.

I know its waaay too early to be thinking about March, but I'm encouraged to see that for the present we apparently have 4 solid BEAST dancers, 1 very probable dancer, and 2-3 other possiblities. Gonna be a great conference season AGAIN!
xusandy

Postby jfan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Nova, X, SH, and Creighton all in CBSSports Top 25 and 1. Creighton still in despite losing to Baylor. The polls will take a while to catch up, but depending on who suffers a loss, the Jays might get in next week.
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby kayako » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:14 am

Can't wait to see what it'll look like this week.
supernova
kayako

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board