AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

The home for Big East hoops

Postby adoraz » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:36 pm

I've done this most years, and I believe we have always outperformed the pre-season AP Top 25. So it'll be interesting to see what every team needs to do to get and stay ranked. In this thread we can also predict the upcoming AP. Sure, some teams like Nova are used to it by now, but a few (SJU, Marquette) have waited years.

Current rankings and my guesses for tomorrow: (very uneventful week)
#6 Nova- beat Columbia and should stay at #6.
#17 Xavier- beat Morehead State but may be passed by Texas A&M. They may also pass WVU, though. I'll say they stay at #17.
#23 SHU- beat Fairdickinson and Monmouth, but Texas A&M will pass them. #24 tomorrow.

Outside the rankings: (won't be ranked tomorrow)
#30 Providence- took care of business
#34 Butler- needs to take care of Princeton tonight to stay in contention

So for tomorrow's poll, we should be locked in with 3 ranked teams no problem. Still some games to play tonight, but not for the 3 ranked teams.

Will do another update tomorrow after the new AP is out for all 10 teams and what they need to do to get ranked. Obviously it's impossible for all 10 to be ranked, but hopefully we can have 3-4 teams ranked all year.

Just for fun, I'll do SJU first since I'm a fan:
This week: beat New Orleans
This week's upcoming schedule: vs Central Connecticut and Nebraska. If they beat both they won't be ranked.
Following week's schedule: vs Molloy (D2), Oregon State, and 2 others (Advocare Invitational). If they win the first 7 games of the season they should be ranked. Obviously SJU is a far way off, but they're the furthest off with the exception of DePaul and Georgetown.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: AP Top 25- Getting and Staying Ranked

Postby Jet915 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:24 pm

If Creighton can win at #19 Northwestern this week they have an outside shot of getting in the top 25 IMO even though they currently have no votes. Probably would be just outside it unless there is alot of movement.
Jet915

Re: AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:57 am

Since we don't have any major top 25 teams to face early on, we have zero room for error to get ranked early. Like you said, we'd have to go 7-0 if not more. That will be very hard to do if our defense/rebounding/paint scoring remain glaring weaknesses. We have been atrocious in the early season tournaments in the past 5 years or so and always seem to go 1 and out. Just to see us finally win one of these mini tournaments would be unreal. I know many people say rankings don't matter much but I totally disagree. If you want to be a national brand and you want to be recognized by ESPN and the college hoops world as being truly relevant, you have to be able to crack the top 25 and remain there for at least an extended period. Some may disagree with that standard, but it's just how it goes. I remember when SJ was up to #15 just 3 years ago...such a rush just seeing our program there...so refreshing. Unfortunately we stayed maybe 2 weeks and that was it. If you want the fans to come out and want to be a national program, you have to be in the exclusive club.
MullinMayhem

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:48 am

MullinMayhem wrote:Since we don't have any major top 25 teams to face early on, we have zero room for error to get ranked early. Like you said, we'd have to go 7-0 if not more. That will be very hard to do if our defense/rebounding/paint scoring remain glaring weaknesses. We have been atrocious in the early season tournaments in the past 5 years or so and always seem to go 1 and out. Just to see us finally win one of these mini tournaments would be unreal. I know many people say rankings don't matter much but I totally disagree. If you want to be a national brand and you want to be recognized by ESPN and the college hoops world as being truly relevant, you have to be able to crack the top 25 and remain there for at least an extended period. Some may disagree with that standard, but it's just how it goes. I remember when SJ was up to #15 just 3 years ago...such a rush just seeing our program there...so refreshing. Unfortunately we stayed maybe 2 weeks and that was it. If you want the fans to come out and want to be a national program, you have to be in the exclusive club.

Do you have to go into the same spiel in every thread? The person made a thread about Big East schools being ranked and what other potential teams would have to do to get inside of the polls. But, here you come along with the same tired rant.

Leave your constant "woe is me" stuff when it's truly warranted. Today isn't the day and nor is this thread.
Red Rooster

Postby notkirkcameron » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:23 am

Marquette needs a lot of breaks to get ranked.

The Warriors get a chance for a quality win in a ranked Purdue team coming to Milwaukee this week. Bartorvik has the game as a dead-even pick-em, 50% (81-80 MU). That projection seems generous to a young Marquette team with some question marks, particularly on defense.

Even if MU were to beat Purdue, I still don't think it would be enough to get them ranked. MU would likely need to win at least two games in Maui next week to be in the conversation. Even then (and assuming MU wins no more than 2 games in Maui), the earliest MU could be ranked would be if they were able to beat Wisconsin on The Second Saturday in December*, and only then if they have no more than 1 loss.

* = This is not the official name of the MU-UW rivalry, but I kind of like how it sounds. Since 2000, the programs have met every year on a Saturday in December. 11 times out of 16 since 2002, it has been the Second Saturday.
Al McGuire: "What is this?"
Waiter: "Mr. McGuire, that is a cull lobster. Sometimes when the lobsters are in the tank, they fight. This one lost a claw."
Al McGuire: "Well then take this one away and bring me the winner."
notkirkcameron

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:51 am

Red Rooster wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:Since we don't have any major top 25 teams to face early on, we have zero room for error to get ranked early. Like you said, we'd have to go 7-0 if not more. That will be very hard to do if our defense/rebounding/paint scoring remain glaring weaknesses. We have been atrocious in the early season tournaments in the past 5 years or so and always seem to go 1 and out. Just to see us finally win one of these mini tournaments would be unreal. I know many people say rankings don't matter much but I totally disagree. If you want to be a national brand and you want to be recognized by ESPN and the college hoops world as being truly relevant, you have to be able to crack the top 25 and remain there for at least an extended period. Some may disagree with that standard, but it's just how it goes. I remember when SJ was up to #15 just 3 years ago...such a rush just seeing our program there...so refreshing. Unfortunately we stayed maybe 2 weeks and that was it. If you want the fans to come out and want to be a national program, you have to be in the exclusive club.

Do you have to go into the same spiel in every thread? The person made a thread about Big East schools being ranked and what other potential teams would have to do to get inside of the polls. But, here you come along with the same tired rant.

Leave your constant "woe is me" stuff when it's truly warranted. Today isn't the day and nor is this thread.

I could find the cure to cancer and you'd take issue. I'm not here for some random dude's approval on a message board, especially one who always seems one step away from court-mandated anger management. The thread was about what needs to happen to get in the top 25 for each respective school. I'm a St. John's fan.
MullinMayhem

Postby kayako » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:04 pm

It was obvious to everyone that Nova would be ranked top 10. And to think that there were people who thought Nova maybe a tournament team :lol:
supernova
kayako

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:39 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:

I could find the cure to cancer and you'd take issue. I'm not here for some random dude's approval on a message board, especially one who always seems one step away from court-mandated anger management. The thread was about what needs to happen to get in the top 25 for each respective school. I'm a St. John's fan.

Here you go again with your outlandish retorts in an attempt to make a point. You just don't get it. You're derailing the thread with the same crap you spew on other threads. But, you wouldn't notice that you were doing it because of you always "wanna be heard."

"Court-mandated anger management?" LOL If you think I'm angry on these boards, then you're more clueless than I thought (which, is the norm, as you're typically clueless on most things you claim or assume to know). Coming from you, who many surmise as being neurotic, then I'd certainly take it with a grain of salt. You just have your panties in a bunch because I said something to you. If I took the time to speak on your issues, then I'd be here all day long. Once again, don't project your personality on me, narcissistic one.

Exactly! The thread was about what needs to happen for St. John's to be in the top 25. Not about their negatives or positives about this year's team, and the history of the team getting or being ranked since you've been following them.

Did the OP go into some rant about what you stated? Nope. His dialogue was rather simple and direct, and that seemed to be the basis of his post. He didn't need to go into the technical and game facets of what St. John's needs to do and nor was it warranted in what he was trying to deliver.
Red Rooster

Postby Novachap » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:47 pm

latest rankings on AP:

Nova #5
Xavier #15
Hall #22

others receiving votes:

Providence #30
Butler #37
Novachap

Postby kayako » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:02 pm

I thought Kentucky might get bumped down a spot with their 2 subpar games, but surprised they were bumped 2 spots.

Mt. Saint Mary's received votes after getting waxed by Marquette, which didn't receive any votes... lol
supernova
kayako

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board