AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

The home for Big East hoops

Re: AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:58 pm

whiteandblue77 wrote:If Georgetown beats Syracuse, which is a top 25 rpi team, GT will skyrocket in the rpi and their schedule will be seen as "visionary." Could be the reason they make the tourney. And guess what, you'll start to see other power conference teams doing it, especially the ones with 20 conference games.

The problem for Georgetown is their OOC SOS is predictably 351 projected. Overall SOS is projected as #96(in the top 7 conferences only 3 lower AAC schools have worse overall SOS than Georgetown does).

For Georgetown to get a top 60 RPI- they would need to go 21-8.

Heck, I would say for Georgetown to just make the NIT, they're going to need to finish with 20 wins. 18-11 record gets them a RPI of 97.2. 19-10 80.5. 20-9 gets them only a 66 RPI.

I think it's far more likely that Georgetown would be a reminder that SOS absolutely matters.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:00 pm

Before we jump on the coaches who voted for Georgetown, check out Miami's OCC schedule. I've absolutely hated how the ranking system worked for years, but it's kinda nice seeing it work for Georgetown and PE, who actually had good reasons to go this route.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:13 pm

kayako wrote:Before we jump on the coaches who voted for Georgetown, check out Miami's OCC schedule. I've absolutely hated how the ranking system worked for years, but it's kinda nice seeing it work for Georgetown and PE, who actually had good reasons to go this route.

Miami's OOC though compared to Georgetown is brutal...
Miami's opponents are 28-39 so far
Georgetown is 12-54 so far
plus Miami's scoring margin is about 4.3 ppg better than Georgetown. 17.8-22.1

Also, Miami does have a win vs Minnesota(on the road to boot).

Also, Miami has exempt tournament still left- where they could get added games with Davidson and then USC.
stever20

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:38 pm

whiteandblue77 wrote:If Georgetown beats Syracuse, which is a top 25 rpi team, GT will skyrocket in the rpi and their schedule will be seen as "visionary." Could be the reason they make the tourney. And guess what, you'll start to see other power conference teams doing it, especially the ones with 20 conference games.

Do you wanna make a bet on it being "visionary" and other power conference teams will start doing it? Power conference teams will continue to schedule the way they're currently scheduling.

It'll simply put too much pressure on teams in conference play (and, likely their conference tournament) to have a schedule similar to Georgetown's current schedule. I, totally agree with 'hooligan, in reference to you being good enough then things will fall into place. The thing with having this type of schedule is having little room for error in conference play.
Red Rooster

Postby XU85 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:39 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Crazy to think that prior to 2015 Nova was never ranked #1 in a national poll. In this marvelous new conference we've been ranked #1 three consecutive years. Man, are some of these conference games going to have some juice.

Fascinating! I did not know that. It's an amazing opportunity for the rest of us to get a shot at home at a number 1 team.

Congratulations!
Xavier, 85 & 87
XU85

Postby thebigeXpress » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:41 pm

to
XU85 wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:Crazy to think that prior to 2015 Nova was never ranked #1 in a national poll. In this marvelous new conference we've been ranked #1 three consecutive years. Man, are some of these conference games going to have some juice.

Fascinating! I did not know that. It's an amazing opportunity for the rest of us to get a shot at home at a number 1 team.

Congratulations!

I didn't know this either. I was actually shocked considering Nova has won a National title before and has been to the FF. I figured surely they must have been ranked number 1 before. I didn't know if we'd be able to convert the expectation but I'm glad. Imagine earlier in the thread some people were pushing for Richmond and Dayton. Nothing against those programs but nothing beats being in the Big East. Thanks for having us. Go X!!!
thebigeXpress

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Great conference. Thanks for everything- schedules, PR, recruiting, respect, status, a bit of edge with poll voters, and the opportunity to claim some #1, #10, & #15 scalps in conference play. Luvin me some BEast.

Watch out Pirates...heading your way!
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby kayako » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:50 am

stever20 wrote:Miami's OOC though compared to Georgetown is brutal...

Also, Miami has exempt tournament still left- where they could get added games with Davidson and then USC.

I was trying to point out the temptation to overrate an undefeated team. Miami is currently ranked 6th/8th with a SOS of 297.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:52 am

kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:Miami's OOC though compared to Georgetown is brutal...

I was trying to point out the temptation to overrate an undefeated team. Miami is currently ranked 6th/8th with a SOS of 297.

I'd agree with you if Miami didn't have the Minnesota road game. Also, last year has something to do with it I think- why Miami gets the benefit of the doubt.
stever20

Postby bluejayfanatic » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:27 pm

Is anybody else as confused as I am that stever the HUUUUUUGE Georgetown fan, is so critical of his "own team's" OOC schedule and refers to his "own team" in the third person? I am literally scratching my head in sheer bewilderment.
bluejayfanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board