AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

The home for Big East hoops

Re: AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

Postby scoscox » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:44 pm

I didn't want to start a new thread, but are the player/freshman of the week and weekly honor rolls voted on by the coaches? Mikal Bridges was the POTW this week and he was obviously great against us, but still think Trevon deserved it. He averaged 31 points on 12 shots this week. He was incredible.
scoscox

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:35 pm

Gotta give credit to the Coaches over at the USA Today Coaches Poll. They continue to give value to Creighton, SH, and Butler, even with the Win 1/lose 1 seesaw our folks are riding.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Edrick » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:21 pm

Butler is back in the Top 20, after the Creighton game.
Edrick

Postby stever20 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:51 pm

Edrick wrote:Butler is back in the Top 20, after the Creighton game.

to go from 2 votes in AP and 9 votes in Coaches to getting in the top 20 is a real reach.
stever20

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:15 pm

It doesn't look good right now, but just over a week ago we had the number five team in the country beaten. Imagine if that was a W in the win column. We wouldn't be having this conversation right now. I heard on the radio that the BE fired the ref who made the call and he hasn't worked a league game since. Not sure if that's accurate, but if so you can tell what the league thought of it,
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby milksteak » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:29 pm

stever20 wrote:

to go from 2 votes in AP and 9 votes in Coaches to getting in the top 20 is a real reach.

I think he was referring to KenPom.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Edrick » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:32 pm

stever20 wrote:

What are you talking about? They are literally rated 20th right now.

http://kenpom.com

I wasn’t talking about the AP poll. I haven’t even glanced at that thing once this entire year. I couldn’t begin to tell you who is in that.

As an aside, they are 12th at Halsamerrics. http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php
Edrick

Postby stever20 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:38 pm

Edrick wrote:
stever20 wrote:

What are you talking about? They are literally rated 20th right now.

http://kenpom.com

I wasn’t talking about the AP poll. I haven’t even glanced at that thing once this entire year. I couldn’t begin to tell you who is in that.

As an aside, they are 12th at Halsamerrics. http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

sorry since this was the AP top 25 poll thread, I thought you were referring to that.

big jump in RPI as well- up from 39 to 33.
stever20

Postby Xavier4036 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Omaha1 wrote:It doesn't look good right now, but just over a week ago we had the number five team in the country beaten. Imagine if that was a W in the win column. We wouldn't be having this conversation right now. I heard on the radio that the BE fired the ref who made the call and he hasn't worked a league game since. Not sure if that's accurate, but if so you can tell what the league thought of it,

Did the Big East also fire the old white haired ref who missed calls all game and was the one who called the touch foul against Bluiett on the 3? Again, if that was a foul from your perspective, there was a lot more contact on Quentin's drive. Not sure you can call one and not the other. NEITHER should have been called in my opinion.... and if that was the case, Xavier would have won. Only reason the game was in that position with 4 seconds left was the old white hair guy calling a grazing type foul against Trevon that the Creighton player fell to the ground for!
Xavier4036

Postby kmacker69 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:02 pm

Xavier4036 wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:It doesn't look good right now, but just over a week ago we had the number five team in the country beaten. Imagine if that was a W in the win column. We wouldn't be having this conversation right now. I heard on the radio that the BE fired the ref who made the call and he hasn't worked a league game since. Not sure if that's accurate, but if so you can tell what the league thought of it,

Did the Big East also fire the old white haired ref who missed calls all game and was the one who called the touch foul against Bluiett on the 3? Again, if that was a foul from your perspective, there was a lot more contact on Quentin's drive. Not sure you can call one and not the other. NEITHER should have been called in my opinion.... and if that was the case, Xavier would have won. Only reason the game was in that position with 4 seconds left was the old white hair guy calling a grazing type foul against Trevon that the Creighton player fell to the ground for!

Nope I saw O'Connell do a game after that one, CU vs Marq, I think, and he is still making dumb and out of position calls! :roll: I think it was the first game I have watched that he was working that they didn't overturn him at least once! :shock: Not becasue he didn't make that bad of calls, but because no one had enough intestinal fortitude to over rule him! :oops: He has been very bad the last 5 years and how he is still doing Big East/ACC/A-10/Ivy League/ Patriot League/ Northeast Conference/ Big South Conference and CAA conference officiating alliance?
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board