AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

The home for Big East hoops

Re: AP Top 25 - Getting and Staying Ranked

Postby Xudash » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:42 am

kayako wrote:
XUFan09 wrote:I'm still trying to figure out a way that both Purdue and MSU lose on Saturday. Haven't found it yet.

MSU win probably means #4, assuming X can win @ Creigton.
Purdue win I think it's 50/50 #3 or #4.

And I am not even sure how far Nova drops. I would think we'd still rank ahead of X, but losing at home to St. Johns is a real bad loss. I'd like to see VTech upset Virginia just to see top 5 in complete chaos. :lol:

Hard not to look at it that way, but the optics improve a little when you consider that they had just taken down Duke in their previous game.
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby scoscox » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:27 pm

kayako wrote:
XUFan09 wrote:I'm still trying to figure out a way that both Purdue and MSU lose on Saturday. Haven't found it yet.

MSU win probably means #4, assuming X can win @ Creigton.
Purdue win I think it's 50/50 #3 or #4.

And I am not even sure how far Nova drops. I would think we'd still rank ahead of X, but losing at home to St. Johns is a real bad loss. I'd like to see VTech upset Virginia just to see top 5 in complete chaos. :lol:

I just don't think you can drop nova below us. Our game was an obscene blow out. We weren't even competitive. Unless we win the game next week, ranking us higher would feel ridiculous
scoscox

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Surprised:
- the love being shown to Miami, Florida St, TAMU, & Mich. AP keeping them in with extensive losses, rather than Seton Hall and Creighton. ACC / SEC favor over BE favor. No issue with 18-5 Michigan. SH/CU will have to beat 1 of our top 2 teams in order to rejoin the polls.

Not surprised:
- Can't get/keep U.K. out of the polls. Fortunately one of UK/TAMU will drop this weekend
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby adoraz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:45 pm

Tough week to predict... interesting to see how it shapes up due to the Nova @ Xavier match up.

1. Nova- L vs SJU, W vs Butler
2. UVA- W @ FSU, L vs VT
3. Purdue- L vs OSU, L @ MSU
4. MSU- W @ Iowa, W vs Purdue
5. Xavier- W @ Butler, W @ Creighton

Wow...

1. MSU
2. UVA
3. Nova
4. Xavier
5. Cincy (if they win tomorrow)

Not very confident in those predictions though. I could see Nova anywhere from 2-4. Same with Xavier.

Hoping the Johnnies get a couple votes as a shout out for the past few games.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby XUFan09 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:34 am

adoraz wrote:Tough week to predict... interesting to see how it shapes up due to the Nova @ Xavier match up.

1. Nova- L vs SJU, W vs Butler
2. UVA- W @ FSU, L vs VT
3. Purdue- L vs OSU, L @ MSU
4. MSU- W @ Iowa, W vs Purdue
5. Xavier- W @ Butler, W @ Creighton

Wow...

1. MSU
2. UVA
3. Nova
4. Xavier
5. Cincy (if they win tomorrow)

Not very confident in those predictions though. I could see Nova anywhere from 2-4. Same with Xavier.

Hoping the Johnnies get a couple votes as a shout out for the past few games.

It will be interesting to see how much voters consider close wins and also how much they consider the opponents. Xavier obviously had two really close wins; the opponents were really good, but still. UVA barely beat FSU on the road before their loss to VTech, but FSU is really good too. MSU notched a great win but their other opponent was a weak Iowa team. Then, of course, you have to consider the long-term performances.

It's just going to be tricky to rank the top 5, so a lot has to be considered.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby kayako » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:24 am

Top 3 is gonna be a crapshoot between Nova, UVA, and MSU. Xavier #4, followed by Cinci or Purdue.

FWIW Lunardi's current order is Nova, UVA, X, Purdue, MSU.
supernova
kayako

Postby XUFan09 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:48 pm

kayako wrote:Top 3 is gonna be a crapshoot between Nova, UVA, and MSU. Xavier #4, followed by Cinci or Purdue.

I wonder if the large discrepancy between the Selection Committee and voters on MSU will have any influence on voters tomorrow. I'm sure there will be voters who stubbornly insist that the Committee is wrong on MSU without considering the details of how they arrived at that decision. However, I could see other voters reevaluating their previous votes on MSU (and other teams).
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby kayako » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:14 pm

XUFan09 wrote:I wonder if the large discrepancy between the Selection Committee and voters on MSU will have any influence on voters tomorrow. I'm sure there will be voters who stubbornly insist that the Committee is wrong on MSU without considering the details of how they arrived at that decision. However, I could see other voters reevaluating their previous votes on MSU (and other teams).

Looks like the committee didn't affect MSU voters too much.

1. UVA
2. MSU
3. Nova
4. X

28. Creighton
29. Butler
supernova
kayako

Postby jfan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:50 pm

XUFan09 wrote:
kayako wrote:Top 3 is gonna be a crapshoot between Nova, UVA, and MSU. Xavier #4, followed by Cinci or Purdue.

I wonder if the large discrepancy between the Selection Committee and voters on MSU will have any influence on voters tomorrow. I'm sure there will be voters who stubbornly insist that the Committee is wrong on MSU without considering the details of how they arrived at that decision. However, I could see other voters reevaluating their previous votes on MSU (and other teams)
Coaches Poll:
1.--MSU
2.--Nova
3.--VA
4.--X

25.--Creighton
32.--Butler
39.--SH
A little surprised at the top. Should be Nova or VA. MSU is tough though.
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby MakScratcher3 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:15 pm

New AP Poll:
3 - Nova
4 - Xavier
------------
33 - Creighton
40 - Butler

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/
MakScratcher3