2018 Season - Non-BE Games Of Interest...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2018 Season - Non-BE Games Of Interest...

Postby ecasadoSBU » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:45 am

Finally the SEC bubble is crashing down. Its about time!

All this over-rated teams. More space for the Big East to come in
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red Rooster » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:04 pm

Boston College takes down Duke, 89-84.
Red Rooster

Postby Jet915 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:12 pm

Jet915 wrote:
billyjack wrote:Idaho beat Washington State by 27.
Central Arkansas won at Cal by 27.

Yeah, it's one thing to lose to a cupcake but to be blown out?!?! Yikes....

Cal (rpi 330) just wins at San Diego State. Crazy.
Jet915

Postby Xudash » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:32 pm

Jet915 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:
billyjack wrote:Idaho beat Washington State by 27.
Central Arkansas won at Cal by 27.

Yeah, it's one thing to lose to a cupcake but to be blown out?!?! Yikes....

Cal (rpi 330) just wins at San Diego State. Crazy.

The Gators take out the Bearkittens. Heartbreaking.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Jet915 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Always nice to see KU lose at home.
Jet915

Postby handdownmandown » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Don't look now but we are on the cusp of overtaking the Big 12 as being projected as the #1 conference as measured by RPI. These two tank jobs by the Jayhawks plus K State dropping a stinker moves that outcome from highly unlikely to very possible.
handdownmandown

Postby stever20 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:11 pm

handdownmandown wrote:Don't look now but we are on the cusp of overtaking the Big 12 as being projected as the #1 conference as measured by RPI. These two tank jobs by the Jayhawks plus K State dropping a stinker moves that outcome from highly unlikely to very possible.

um, right now the Big 12 is already #2 in RPI.... The SEC is actually #1 right now so far.

Long term will be tough to pass both of them given the 2 have a challenge left in late January.
stever20

Postby handdownmandown » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:58 pm

First, please don't address me with a statement that starts with 'um'. The only person on the board allowed to talk to people like that is Edrick, and that's because he doesn't know any better.

My rebuttal: where we are now is immaterial; I know you know this because I've seen you make that assertion. What matters is where everyone winds up on Selection Sunday, when both the non-con, and conference season, is fully reflected. To project that, you need metrics that project the entire season as measured by the RPI, so I use RPIForecast.com. Right now we are projected a solid 2nd behind the Big 12. Why? Because our projected non-con winning percentage of .8065 is significantly better than that of the SEC, which is projected at .7330. This gap will allow us to blow past them - in fact, by the time the season ends, they are projected to be 4th, behind us, the ACC, and the Big 12 - our superior records will buoy our overall numbers to a level their more pedestrian totals can't keep up with.

Our projected non-con SOS rating is 6th out of all conferences, and the Big 12 is 5th. Since our schedule structures are similar, the bottom line is this: if we can wind up with a non-con record that is better than theirs, and hope that improvement there (which starts to manifest itself when we play each other) is enough to compensate for the slightly weaker non-con SOS.

And that's where we stand now: as of yesterday we were, as a conference, projected to fare worse as a whole in the non-con, .8268 to .8065. Kansas tanking though was worth almost an entire extra loss (and one less win), moving us into the neighborhood to where we can pass them in non-con winning percentage.

Make sense now?
handdownmandown

Postby stever20 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm

handdownmandown wrote:First, please don't address me with a statement that starts with 'um'. The only person on the board allowed to talk to people like that is Edrick, and that's because he doesn't know any better.

My rebuttal: where we are now is immaterial; I know you know this because I've seen you make that assertion. What matters is where everyone winds up on Selection Sunday, when both the non-con, and conference season, is fully reflected. To project that, you need metrics that project the entire season as measured by the RPI, so I use RPIForecast.com. Right now we are projected a solid 2nd behind the Big 12. Why? Because our projected non-con winning percentage of .8065 is significantly better than that of the SEC, which is projected at .7330. This gap will allow us to blow past them - in fact, by the time the season ends, they are projected to be 4th, behind us, the ACC, and the Big 12 - our superior records will buoy our overall numbers to a level their more pedestrian totals can't keep up with.

Our projected non-con SOS rating is 6th out of all conferences, and the Big 12 is 5th. Since our schedule structures are similar, the bottom line is this: if we can wind up with a non-con record that is better than theirs, and hope that improvement there (which starts to manifest itself when we play each other) is enough to compensate for the slightly weaker non-con SOS.

And that's where we stand now: as of yesterday we were, as a conference, projected to fare worse as a whole in the non-con, .8268 to .8065. Kansas tanking though was worth almost an entire extra loss (and one less win), moving us into the neighborhood to where we can pass them in non-con winning percentage.

Make sense now?

I get what you're saying. But the benefit of Kansas losing was mitigated in large part by the loss by Providence.

Looking at Ken Pom rest of the season just raw win loss, the Big 12 is projected for only 6 more losses overall- to include the SEC challenge.... Several teams have only dregs left before conference play begins now.
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Nice win by Wisky over WKU.
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board