Creighton Employees "Under Review" After Criticizing Basketb

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Creighton Employees "Under Review" After Criticizing Bas

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:59 pm

Professor_Bulldog wrote:Yes, two people whose jobs are focused on campus violence and assault should be cool with a coach honoring a former student who pleaded no contest to assault. Creighton and McDermott look foolish and boneheaded at best.

This. ^^^

Sexual assault is a HUGE problem on college campuses. No need to publicize this on Mac's side. Just give him the ring privately and be done with it.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jaybydna » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:24 pm

That’s not what I said and I don’t think they should be fired. I think they should have the guts to follow university procedures. Have not and will not defend Watson but will defend Ras and McD. They did follow procedures
jaybydna

Postby NJRedman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:06 pm

jaybydna wrote:That’s not what I said and I don’t think they should be fired. I think they should have the guts to follow university procedures. Have not and will not defend Watson but will defend Ras and McD. They did follow procedures

What procedures did they follow? Was their a form to fill out before Mac gave him the ring and posted the picture to Twitter?
NJRedman

Postby cu blujs » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:32 am

NJ Redman, before you go spouting off, maybe educate yourself on the facts. Mo did NOT plea to and was NOT convicted of sexual assault. He was charged with rape on the sole basis of the allegations of the alleged vicitim, who was apparently pissed he made a move on another that night. Despite the prosecutor's public allegations and what the OWH chose to publish, it turns out when it was time to put up or shut up there was no credible physical evidence that he had assaulted her in any manner. Mo maintains nothing ever happened between them that night - not even that something consensual happened. The "victim" claimed she repeatedly told Mo she was "saving herself" for marriage. But, turns out she and Mo had been "together" in the past. Oh, and she had an STD that could not have come from that night according to medical evidence. Also, somehow she didn't think to share with the police or prosecutors that the same night prior to the alleged incident, she had allowed another guy to fondle (keeping this PG) her while she fondled him on the car ride from a bar to the apartment prior to the alleged incident occurring. And the blood reportedly on her underwear was caused by the medical procedure at the hospital (which also found no other evidence of a sexual assault). So, it boiled down to he said, she said, with scant little if any physical evidence to back up her claim. She never recanted her story, of course (since she would then face charges for filing a false report), but she readily accepted the prosecutors dropping the charges when confronted with the evidence above that the defense team had uncovered in its investigation. However, the prosecutors had to have something out of it, since they had paraded this all over the local media for half a year, so they offered Mo either go to trial and take your chances that the jury still decides to convict you based on her story (a 24 year old black man accused of raping an "innocent" teenage white woman, with possibly an all white jury in Omaha, Nebraska) or plea to a misdemeanor assault for allegedly grabbing the inner thigh of another (not her crotch, mind you) female just prior to the alleged incident that night. Between even the faintest of chances that you get convicted and lose the next 10 years, and the prime athletic years, of your life sitting in jail or take the plea and a sentence of the 5 days you already spent in jail, not to mention tens of thousands more dollars in legal fees, what would you do? he plead no contest -- not guilty and no admission that the misdemeanor assault even happened either, simply allowed himself to be convicted of the misdemeanor to put the whole thing behind him. I assume McDermott and Bruce Rasmussen (AD) reviewed the matter carefully and I am sure they had the full support of the University administration. This wasn't some decision made without a good deal of thought. Creighton had barred Mo from campus after he was arrested without any due process consideration given him, without any chance to defend himself. I hope the university allows Mo to complete his degree. I have no problem with giving Mo the ring. I also have no problem with these two women airing their grievance, though I believe their overzealousness is a little much considering the actual facts of the case. Mo recently signed with a quality agency. I strongly doubt they would have taken Mo on in today's climate if they had any concern that there had been any truth at all to the allegations.
cu blujs

Postby cu blujs » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:40 am

I might also ad that it is not unusual for any employer to have policies in place that require employees with a grievance about something the employer is or has done to bring those grievances to someone within the employer, such as an ombudsman, and not just go airing their gripes in public. That is the procedure that I believe people are talking about. These two didn't go to anyone in the University first, but just went public to gripe about the decision made by their employer. That's what could get them in trouble, though I'd be surprised if the University did any more than try to impress upon them how dumb it is to try to publicly shame your employer -- you know, bite your nose to spite your face kind of thing -- at least without first addressing your issues internally, particularly when your employer's success, and your job, depends on it having a good public image to attract students whose tuition pays your salary.
cu blujs

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:44 am

I think it's pretty simple. Once the claims were made, the university had to cut ties with Mo due to Title IX rules. McDermott - who appeared to have a close relationship with Watson - couldn't communicate with him and I suspect he felt bad about that. Once the allegations were refuted, Mac wanted to acknowledge Watson in some way to publicly support him. I don't have an issue with that.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby NJRedman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:20 pm

cu blujs wrote:NJ Redman, before you go spouting off, maybe educate yourself on the facts. Mo did NOT plea to and was NOT convicted of sexual assault. He was charged with rape on the sole basis of the allegations of the alleged vicitim, who was apparently pissed he made a move on another that night. Despite the prosecutor's public allegations and what the OWH chose to publish, it turns out when it was time to put up or shut up there was no credible physical evidence that he had assaulted her in any manner. Mo maintains nothing ever happened between them that night - not even that something consensual happened. The "victim" claimed she repeatedly told Mo she was "saving herself" for marriage. But, turns out she and Mo had been "together" in the past. Oh, and she had an STD that could not have come from that night according to medical evidence. Also, somehow she didn't think to share with the police or prosecutors that the same night prior to the alleged incident, she had allowed another guy to fondle (keeping this PG) her while she fondled him on the car ride from a bar to the apartment prior to the alleged incident occurring. And the blood reportedly on her underwear was caused by the medical procedure at the hospital (which also found no other evidence of a sexual assault). So, it boiled down to he said, she said, with scant little if any physical evidence to back up her claim. She never recanted her story, of course (since she would then face charges for filing a false report), but she readily accepted the prosecutors dropping the charges when confronted with the evidence above that the defense team had uncovered in its investigation. However, the prosecutors had to have something out of it, since they had paraded this all over the local media for half a year, so they offered Mo either go to trial and take your chances that the jury still decides to convict you based on her story (a 24 year old black man accused of raping an "innocent" teenage white woman, with possibly an all white jury in Omaha, Nebraska) or plea to a misdemeanor assault for allegedly grabbing the inner thigh of another (not her crotch, mind you) female just prior to the alleged incident that night. Between even the faintest of chances that you get convicted and lose the next 10 years, and the prime athletic years, of your life sitting in jail or take the plea and a sentence of the 5 days you already spent in jail, not to mention tens of thousands more dollars in legal fees, what would you do? he plead no contest -- not guilty and no admission that the misdemeanor assault even happened either, simply allowed himself to be convicted of the misdemeanor to put the whole thing behind him. I assume McDermott and Bruce Rasmussen (AD) reviewed the matter carefully and I am sure they had the full support of the University administration. This wasn't some decision made without a good deal of thought. Creighton had barred Mo from campus after he was arrested without any due process consideration given him, without any chance to defend himself. I hope the university allows Mo to complete his degree. I have no problem with giving Mo the ring. I also have no problem with these two women airing their grievance, though I believe their overzealousness is a little much considering the actual facts of the case. Mo recently signed with a quality agency. I strongly doubt they would have taken Mo on in today's climate if they had any concern that there had been any truth at all to the allegations.

Oh did I write the story? Yeah, keep defending the guy who was kicked out of school and did not return.

OF COURSE YOU DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM BECAUSE YOU'RE A HOMER!

You do have a problem with these women because you are talking about how they shouldn't bite the hand that feeds them.

Yeah yeah yeah nothing to look at here! Just move along no way would your favorite school ever do anything that would be considered off base.
NJRedman

Postby RxJay » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:38 pm

OK Redman why do you think Mo is guilty of sexual assault?
Creighton 70
RxJay

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:47 pm

How dare those two Sexual Assault Councelors and Director exercise their constitutional right to free speech in the schools' public forum. While I agree with what Coach did in
presenting Mo with a participation ring, the authors are well within bounds to state their position and Should Not be subject to employer recriminations.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby cujaysfan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:31 pm

in the least surprising post ever

gtmo has no clue what 'constitutionally protected free speech' is.
cujaysfan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board