BEast Preview By NBC Sports

The home for Big East hoops

Re: BEast preview

Postby Jet915 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:58 am

TheBlueTeam wrote:
BEXU wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote: The Muskies have some real issues
to work through. They can make the dance but not as a high seed.

Not sure what the "real issues" are. Bringing back almost the whole team from an Elite Eight? 4 star Freshmen? What exactly? And, sorry, you have never liked X. The fact that some rate X so high just shows respect for the Big East.

He's just trolling. If creighton isn't good, he's looking to bring down the other programs. He's just not an a** when he does it. Frankly, when you look at all the schools in the big east currently, I would say creighton is the 8th or 9th best program. If you had to bet on which big east programs would have the most success over the next ten years, I would pick Butler, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Providence, Xavier, Marquette, Villanova, and possibly St. Johns before I would pick creighton. Unfortunately for him, creighton isn't looking like a NCAA tourney/top 7 team in the Big East this year so he's going to look for to belittle the better teams.

I dont drink the kool aid like GTMO but every preaseason bracketology has Creighton in the tournament around an 8-10 seed. The coaches picked us 5th also.
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: BEast Preview By NBC Sports

Postby Doge McDermott » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:14 am

TheBlueTeam wrote:If you had to bet on which big east programs would have the most success over the next ten years, I would pick Butler, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Providence, Xavier, Marquette, Villanova, and possibly St. Johns before I would pick creighton.

Yeah man. Just wait until Doug is gone, then Creighton is going to suuuuuuuck. Their jump from the MVC was a mistake.
Doge McDermott

Postby RxJay » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:31 am

The Blueteam must be a Wichita fan.
Creighton 70
RxJay

Postby kayako » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:14 pm

TheBlueTeam wrote:Unfortunately for him, creighton isn't looking like a NCAA tourney/top 7 team in the Big East this year so he's going to look for to belittle the better teams.

According to what? I have Creighton in the 3-7 range in the BE, but closer to 3 than 7. After Nova and maybe Xavier, the next 4 or 5 teams are pretty evenly matched IMO. I mean you're seeing something in Marquette or St. Johns that I'm not seeing to say Creighton isn't in BE's top 7.
supernova
kayako

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:33 pm

BigmanU wrote:http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/11/07/big-east-conference-preview-villanova-looks-to-hold-off-challengers/

This analysis really nailed it. Any one of the top 4 could be picked to win the conference this year, so I have no argument with them picking Villanova. IMO Seton Hall is the team to beat while Xavier and Providence are both loaded as well.
Bill Marsh

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 am

BEXU wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote: The Muskies have some real issues
to work through. They can make the dance but not as a high seed.

Not sure what the "real issues" are. Bringing back almost the whole team from an Elite Eight? 4 star Freshmen? What exactly? And, sorry, you have never liked X. The fact that some rate X so high just shows respect for the Big East.

BEXU...
Not looking for a fight, merely stating that talk of a FF or Natty is a bit of a stretch, Secondly, I do like the Musketeers and have since the days of Korver & West battling. Perhaps Respect is the better term and Xavier has proven over the past 20 years or so to be worthy of respect. As i stated I expect Xavier to make the dance and to be competitive, but talk of FFs and National Championship should be taken with a grain of salt.

My opinion rests on 4 points: 1) Can Kareem Kanter stabilize the 5. X has several good bigs, of which they contribute but do not dominate like Stainbrook did. Kanter is seen as the fix in the paint for Gaston and Stainbrook. X's schedule and BE play are not Wisc-GB and Kanter will have a learning curve to conquer.
2) Bluiett. Bluiett was inconsistent last season, and granted he carried Xavier late season and into the tourneys. He has been a streaky shooter historically -hot a few games, then cold. Some attribute his streakiness to lingering nagging injuries, but he needs to be more consistent this season as X is riding his coattails.
3) Replacing Sumner. Granted Goodin struggled then found some footing late season, but both he and Scruggs are scoring PGs, not pass 1st guys, Assists are not in their DNA. Goodin will have to forego his natural urge to shoot 1st for the greater good of the team. Scruggs will need to adjust to the speed of the college game and learn the system. Frosh are frosh and will have ups and downs, regardless of their pedigree. It is not advisable to "count on" frosh for consistent production. Goodin may surprise and become a great pass 1st PG.
4) Xs non-conf schedule will tell the tale: Games @Wisconsin, poss Ariz St in Vegas, and Home against the likes of Baylor, Cincinnati, Colorado, and @UNI (Northern Iowa) will surely test the notion that the Musketeers are better. This is the team the finished the BE 7th @ 9-9 and lost 6 of the last 8 regular season games, before catching lightning in a bottle in the Dance.

Xavier is always good, it's a matter of just how good this season...we shall see. gtmo
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby scoscox » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:51 pm

So much wrong in there it’s almost hard to believe.

Tyrique will be the primary big. What Kanter gives will be gravy.

Goodin is already a pass first point guard and that’s pretty obvious I think to anyone who has ever watched us.

People thinking that the losing streak in the BE is more indicative of the teams ability than the run in the NCAA tournament are deluding themselves imo.

Xavier’s biggest issues will be defense and defensive rebounding.
scoscox

Postby Xer4ever » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:57 pm

Agree with you scoscox except our defense should be a plus over last years team. In fact, if our freshmen develop the understanding of the defensive system to be close to their skill level, this could be X’s best defensive team ever.
And I have every reason to believe this team has the size, toughness and B.B. IQ to be a normal Coach Mack level rebounding team.
Xer4ever

Postby scoscox » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:47 pm

I totally agree, but those, I think will still be the issues most needing to be addressed early this season. If Naji and Scruggs can be tough defenders and rebounders for us that will be huge. If we can tighten up defensively and get back to dominating the boards the sky is the limit. That will make the difference to see how far they can go.

It is fun watching this team play so far, though
scoscox

Postby BEXU » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:20 am

Tyrique Jones is certainly the primary. We certainly have no problem there. Not sure how much X BB you watch but he has started every game for a while now. Had 19/8 last night and played 25 mins . O'Mara had 6 and Kanter had 2 in 14 mins. Kanter is a liability on defense right now cuz he was never required to play any. Jones is a stud. O'Mara fouled out and Jones came back in. Kanter was added for insurance. I don't know if you'll see him in a BE game unless there is foul trouble. As for last year, when your 2 All American caliber players go down, you are going to have trouble.
X has plenty of shooters: Bluiett, Macura, Jones (74%) , Gates, etc. Goodin's job is to get them the ball or drive the lane and dish or take it to the hoop if no one blocks him. While this may not fill your expectations for a PG, that's his role this year and he seems fine with it. He has 13 assists already. If you're weak inside, Goodin and Jones will kill you this year.
BEXU

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board