BIG EAST vs FOOTBALL-5 for 2017/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: BIG EAST vs FOOTBALL-5 for 2017/18

Postby stever20 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:54 am

Edrick wrote:After yesterday, the gap between the Big East and Big Ten conference ratings (Pomeroy) has just become too big to realistically close. The Big East will finish ahead of the Big Ten 4 of its five years in existence. The Big East is categorically a better basketball conference

The SEC has never finished ahead of the Big East.

Each season is a different animal. This year it's very possible that the SEC finishes ahead of the Big East. RPI forecast is projecting that right now. It'll be close regardless. I don't look at prior history I look at just the season at hand. What happened last year last 5 years last 10 years is meaningless.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby adoraz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:43 pm

Stever, I mention this every year but there's a logical reason for excluding Gonzaga, VCU, Memphis, etc. It's because the majority of teams in those conferences are so bad that it makes our record against the conferences irrelevant. It just pads our record which isn't the goal of this topic. In addition, F5 teams generally have much more exposure and relevance. Let's take one of the lower tier B1G teams (this year) in Wisconsin. Then let's take one of the better AAC teams (UCF vs SJU). In terms of RPI, both wins may very well being equally beneficial. The SJU win could wind up being better. But in terms of ratings, exposure, interest, etc, it's really no contest. Nobody aside from some SJU fans cared about that game, while the Wisconsin game was a hit. So really no matter what angle you look at this, adding other conferences just devalues and cheapens what the OP is going for.

Now, you may say "just include top 50 wins", but since the rankings are always changing that requires far more effort and is not neat and clean like this topic. Having the teams change throughout the year makes this more of a mess. If you want to keep track of that though, I'd be interested in seeing those results in addition to the F5 rankings. But at a certain point, what's the point? If you're going purely on math you might as well look at our RPI rankings and be done with it.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:18 pm

adoraz wrote:Stever, I mention this every year but there's a logical reason for excluding Gonzaga, VCU, Memphis, etc. It's because the majority of teams in those conferences are so bad that it makes our record against the conferences irrelevant. It just pads our record which isn't the goal of this topic. In addition, F5 teams generally have much more exposure and relevance. Let's take one of the lower tier B1G teams (this year) in Wisconsin. Then let's take one of the better AAC teams (UCF vs SJU). In terms of RPI, both wins may very well being equally beneficial. The SJU win could wind up being better. But in terms of ratings, exposure, interest, etc, it's really no contest. Nobody aside from some SJU fans cared about that game, while the Wisconsin game was a hit. So really no matter what angle you look at this, adding other conferences just devalues and cheapens what the OP is going for.

Now, you may say "just include top 50 wins", but since the rankings are always changing that requires far more effort and is not neat and clean like this topic. Having the teams change throughout the year makes this more of a mess. If you want to keep track of that though, I'd be interested in seeing those results in addition to the F5 rankings. But at a certain point, what's the point? If you're going purely on math you might as well look at our RPI rankings and be done with it.

There should be another column to this though at least- and it's teams like Wichita, Gonzaga, Cincy.

I mean you bring up Wisconsin/UCF. That's fine. But let's take Marquette last week. Which game had more ratings/exposure/interest. Wichita or LSU? They played them on back to back days.

Right Now vs RPI top 50(that's early but still)- BE is 3-8. vs KP top 50, BE is 4-9.
stever20

Postby marquette » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:29 pm

stever20 wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:
redmen9194 wrote:We have this discussion on this thread every single year. This is just us against the F5. It is not the most important games, the best games, etc. It is simply how we do head to head against the F5, who ESPN dubs the Power 5, and how competitive we are with those schools.

Can we please start a thread of BE vs. the SMP7?

SMP7 = Stever Make-believe Power 7

I don't even think that's realistic. What is more important is how teams do vs teams in the top 50. Playing Gonzaga means far more than playing all but a handful of teams. There's a huge difference between playing Louisville and Pittsburgh just within the ACC. Just like there's the same difference between a school playing Villanova and DePaul within the Big East.

If that thread existed it would have to be posted on the last day of the season and would not lend itself to season-long discussion. Rather than trying to predict who will be in the top 50 in March, we are focusing on teams from historically strong conferences who we are in direct competition with for PRI ratings, recruits, bids, and media attention. It's not a difficult concept.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby whiteandblue77 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:46 pm

Can we please just update the tally for which this thread is named and move all the other BS to an off topic thread? Please?
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:31 am

The Hall follows X up with another top 25 Big XII scalp!

Sat. - December 2: Georgia vs. Marquette
Sun. - December 3: Seton Hall vs. Louisville

ACC : 1-1
SEC : 3-1
B1G : 5-5
PAC : 3-2
B12 : 2-2

Overall 14-11

Go Big East!
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby redmen9194 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:09 pm

The Quette falls to Georgia but the Pirates take out Louisville at the Yum. Five more this week.

Tues. Dec. 5 - Utah vs. Butler
Fri. Dec. 8 - Arizona State vs. St. John's
Sat - December 9 - Wisconsin vs. Marquette
Nebraska vs. Creighton
Colorado vs. Xavier

ACC : 2-1
SEC : 3-2
PAC : 3-2

Overall 15-12

Go Big East!
redmen9194

Postby redmen9194 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:44 am

Butler opens Pac-12 week with a win over Utah. The Johnnies up next on Friday at the Staples Center in LA when they will meet the Sun Devils.

Fri. Dec. 8 - Arizona State vs. St. John's
Sat - December 9 - Wisconsin vs. Marquette
Nebraska vs. Creighton
Colorado vs. Xavier

ACC : 2-1
SEC : 3-2
PAC : 4-2

Overall 16-12

Go Big East!
redmen9194

Postby ecasadoSBU » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:00 pm

As per Warren Nolan:

The Conference RPI currently are:

B12 --> 0.6025
SEC --> 0.5984
BIE --> 0.5909
ACC --> 0.5841

B1G --> 0.5534
MVC --> 0.5492
P12 --> 0.5491
AAC --> 0.5403

The current trends: SEC falling... B12 Holding steady... Big East Climbing... ACC a bit falling.

If the BE continues the performance of the last two weeks I see it surpassing the SEC in the next few days to be #2 in the country. I don't see it surpassing the B12 for now. But the conference is doing great. ELITE status
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby ecasadoSBU » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:07 pm

What has made this year special so far is not only the great wins (yes, there are plenty of great wins)... But what we really has stood out is the lack of BAD losses that every other major conference has. I haven't confirmed it... But I think the only losses outside the Major conferences is against Rhody in the A-10... I cant think of anything else.
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board