Top 50 Players in the Big East

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Top 50 Players in the Big East

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:36 pm

Novachap wrote:Love these opinion threads.... excellent effort by the Paint Touches team, but no way everyone is happy!

Homer biased here, but to me its Brunson at #1. That said Delgado could easily be the POY, I am a big fan of him -- a double double machine. I've said previously I can't wait to see Spellman against him. Will be a great litmus test (my guess is Spellman gets in foul trouble the first time they play and as he get more experienced is able to draw the big guy away from the hoop).

Disagree strongly that Bluiett is not in top 3. Best scorer in the league.

I agree with the Providence sentiment in the thread. Diallo should be up there, Cartwright should be a little higher and I too think Bullock is way too high. He has been so up and down in the past that to me his inconsistency drops him...

Also, Foster, to me should switch spots with Carrington. Shots fired Hall!!!! LOL. Seriously, Foster is too good to not be in the top 10..

Valid points. I think they would it very well regarding Brunson and Delgado - Brunson is the best all-around player in the league in that he has a much more versatile skill set than Delgado, but Delgado is by far the best at just doing what he does.

I expect Spellman vs Delgado to look very similar to last year's Patton vs Delgado. In one game, the redshirt freshman held is own and in the other he got taught a lesson. Interestingly, the first meeting is when Patton held his own, then Delgado went off for 17 and 17 in round 2.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DeePhence » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:39 pm

I'm a Providence fan, to be sure, and I suspect all fans of team XYZ know their players so intimately that they probably have a bit of homer bias.

The best thing about this list - what a great and fun bunch of players we have in our league. I can't effing wait for the season!

Let's go Friars! Cooley for Prez!
DeePhence

Postby X Factor » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:45 pm

ESPN has Bluiett the 18th best player in the nation, but this list has him 7th best in the BE? He's Top 3 for sure.
X Factor

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:46 pm

X Factor wrote:ESPN has Bluiett the 18th best player in the nation, but this list has him 7th best in the BE? He's Top 3 for sure.

For what it's worth, Big East players on the ESPN list:
16. Delgado
17. Brunson
18. Bluiett
25. Bridges
30. Foster
36. Martin
50. Baldwin
Savannah Jay

Postby milksteak » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:16 am

Savannah Jay wrote:
X Factor wrote:ESPN has Bluiett the 18th best player in the nation, but this list has him 7th best in the BE? He's Top 3 for sure.

For what it's worth, Big East players on the ESPN list:
16. Delgado
17. Brunson
18. Bluiett
25. Bridges
30. Foster
36. Martin
50. Baldwin

These lists kill me because the media seems to have no idea if my Bulldogs will be good or not. I kinda share their sentiments honestly.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby HoosierPal » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:29 am

milksteak wrote:These lists kill me because the media seems to have no idea if my Bulldogs will be good or not. I kinda share their sentiments honestly.

Unfortunately this is true. Of the 13 OOC games, there are 8 toss ups or likely L's. Would 5-8 surprise you? Would 10-3 be a bigger surprise? We won't know what we have until the Big East season starts.
HoosierPal

Postby EMT » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Novachap wrote:Love these opinion threads.... excellent effort by the Paint Touches team, but no way everyone is happy!

Homer biased here, but to me its Brunson at #1. That said Delgado could easily be the POY, I am a big fan of him -- a double double machine. I've said previously I can't wait to see Spellman against him. Will be a great litmus test (my guess is Spellman gets in foul trouble the first time they play and as he get more experienced is able to draw the big guy away from the hoop).

Disagree strongly that Bluiett is not in top 3. Best scorer in the league.

I agree with the Providence sentiment in the thread. Diallo should be up there, Cartwright should be a little higher and I too think Bullock is way too high. He has been so up and down in the past that to me his inconsistency drops him...

Also, Foster, to me should switch spots with Carrington. Shots fired Hall!!!! LOL. Seriously, Foster is too good to not be in the top 10..

I would venture to guess that if you took a poll of 100 Friar fans as to who will be the best player on the team this year less than 5% would pick Bullock. I agree with FriarJ that Diallo would be in the top 5 and probably 1 or 2. I hope that MAL has a great year and career at PC but I'll be shocked if he has a better year than Diallo.

If Holt could play this year and Lindsey is healthy, you could make an argument that Bullock wouldn't even start this year.
EMT

Postby TAMU Eagle » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:13 pm

JohnW22 wrote:Ummmm Trevon Bluiett...how did he fall in your rankings from last year to now. He was 2 in your rankings last year. If Seton Hall has 3 players better than Bluiett just give them the national championship this year.

Blueitt falling from last year wasn't a product of him getting worse, because that isn't remotely true. It was a product of us getting more information. We invested in a synergy membership over the summer (HIGHLY recommend it). Most people (including the national talking heads) judge a player's defense on blocks, steals, and a few isolated good and bad defensive plays that they remember from last season. Synergy has data on every single possession of basketball that was played last season. From there we can get a much more accurate picture of a player's defensive ability.

Blueitt was the 2nd best offensive player of all the returning players on this list (behind Brunson). But he was also the 5th worst returning defensive player on this list. Compared to the rest of division 1, his defensive numbers were in the bottom quartile. His offense, playmaking, and rebounding still make him an obvious top 10 player, but with this list we really wanted to acknowledge that basketball is a two way sport.

Now, what is harder to flesh out is how much Blueitt's poor defensive numbers were the product of his injury and having poor defenders around him. It's very possible that he'll prove us wrong.
TAMU Eagle

Postby TAMU Eagle » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:26 pm

I didn't know Friar fans thought so little of Bullock's abilities. Interestingly enough, I don't necessarily disagree. His advanced stats aren't great (though his defense is solid). But 16 points, 6.5 rebounds, 1.2 steals, and 0.8 blocks per game is hard to ignore. We tried to keep this list as objective as possible so we based the list based on stats. He was one of the few players in the top half who was carried by his raw numbers (points, rebounds, etc) and not his advanced stats. We weren't alone in our rankings. The coaches put him on the preseason ALL Big East 2nd Team based on those raw numbers.
TAMU Eagle

Postby EMT » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:25 pm

TAMU Eagle wrote:I didn't know Friar fans thought so little of Bullock's abilities. Interestingly enough, I don't necessarily disagree. His advanced stats aren't great (though his defense is solid). But 16 points, 6.5 rebounds, 1.2 steals, and 0.8 blocks per game is hard to ignore. We tried to keep this list as objective as possible so we based the list based on stats. He was one of the few players in the top half who was carried by his raw numbers (points, rebounds, etc) and not his advanced stats. We weren't alone in our rankings. The coaches put him on the preseason ALL Big East 2nd Team based on those raw numbers.

Bullocks defense is average at best. Lindsey always draws the best defender. He is also a bit of a compiler on offense. Last year he had 6 BE games and 8 in total where he scored 8 points or less while averaging 33 min a game. When he is on, he is a very good volume scorer. The biggest problem is you never know which Bullock will show up.
EMT

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board