Top 50 Players in the Big East

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Top 50 Players in the Big East

Postby TAMU Eagle » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:32 pm

Hall2012 wrote:I find it interesting/surprising that you chose Myles Cale as the 5th Seton Hall player over Ish Sanogo. I'm not sure how you apply your formula to freshmen, but I have to think Is will have a bigger impact this year than Cale.

Freshmen are harder to rank for sure because of the lack of information. We have a great team but none of us has the time or resources to fly around the country and evaluate recruits ourselves. In the interest of objectivity, we stuck to recruiting rankings and then plugged them in where we thought they made sense. We loved Ish on last season's list, I think he was top 35 IIRC. But his advanced numbers were terrible last season. Rebounding down, defense down, eFG% way down. If he returns to sophomore year form, he would definitely make the list.
TAMU Eagle

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Friarsfan94 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:59 am

TAMU Eagle wrote:
Again, we picked a top 5 from each team. Alpha Diallo would have been above Aaron Thompson if he had made the top 5 for Providence. We picked Cartwright, Ashton-Langford, Holt, Lindsey, and one more player in the top 10 coming out tomorrow (you can probably guess who). Diallo isn't on the list because he's not a top 50 player, he's not on this list because we didn't see him as a top 5 player for Providence.

Tom Planek. Final answer.
Friarsfan94

Postby TAMU Eagle » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:11 am

TAMU Eagle

Postby bobpp1 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:35 am

As a die hard friar fan I see no way Bullock is a top ten player. Rodney is very inconsistent. He can be hot as a pistol one game and completely disappear the next. The ultimate trick or treat player. Great kid and I hope he has a super final year as the friars will need his leadership with all the young players. As a season ticket holder I've seen just about all his games and he can be very frustrating at times. Agree with friar j, Alpha looks to have a break out year as he was their best player going down the stretch last year and has looked very good so far this year.
bobpp1

Postby JohnW22 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:58 am

Ummmm Trevon Bluiett...how did he fall in your rankings from last year to now. He was 2 in your rankings last year. If Seton Hall has 3 players better than Bluiett just give them the national championship this year.
Last edited by JohnW22 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
XU
JohnW22

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:59 am

TAMU Eagle wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:I find it interesting/surprising that you chose Myles Cale as the 5th Seton Hall player over Ish Sanogo. I'm not sure how you apply your formula to freshmen, but I have to think Is will have a bigger impact this year than Cale.

Freshmen are harder to rank for sure because of the lack of information. We have a great team but none of us has the time or resources to fly around the country and evaluate recruits ourselves. In the interest of objectivity, we stuck to recruiting rankings and then plugged them in where we thought they made sense. We loved Ish on last season's list, I think he was top 35 IIRC. But his advanced numbers were terrible last season. Rebounding down, defense down, eFG% way down. If he returns to sophomore year form, he would definitely make the list.

I get it. To be fair to Sanogo, he was plagued by injuries all last year. He missed 5 games completely (at different points in the season - 2 in Nov, 2 in Feb, 1 in March) due to injury last year and had his minutes severely limited in several others. Credit to him for battling through when he could, but it was clearly evident when he was on the floor that he was not at 100%. Indications are that he is now finally healthy again and I don't see any reason (aside from more injuries) to think that won't return to/improve upon his sophomore form.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby scoscox » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:00 pm

JohnW22 wrote:Ummmm Trevon Bluiett...how did he fall in your rankings from last year to now. He was 2 in your rankings last year. If Seton Hall has 3 players better than Bluiett just give them the national championship this year.

Seriously, they should never lose a game.
scoscox

Postby Novachap » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:57 pm

Love these opinion threads.... excellent effort by the Paint Touches team, but no way everyone is happy!

Homer biased here, but to me its Brunson at #1. That said Delgado could easily be the POY, I am a big fan of him -- a double double machine. I've said previously I can't wait to see Spellman against him. Will be a great litmus test (my guess is Spellman gets in foul trouble the first time they play and as he get more experienced is able to draw the big guy away from the hoop).

Disagree strongly that Bluiett is not in top 3. Best scorer in the league.

I agree with the Providence sentiment in the thread. Diallo should be up there, Cartwright should be a little higher and I too think Bullock is way too high. He has been so up and down in the past that to me his inconsistency drops him...

Also, Foster, to me should switch spots with Carrington. Shots fired Hall!!!! LOL. Seriously, Foster is too good to not be in the top 10..
Novachap

Postby BEXU » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:49 pm

Nobody's seen Spellman play in a BE game and he's ranked 3 away from Bluiett? Can't wait to see Spellman vs. Tyrique Jones. Bluiett's defense, altho not great, has improved steadily over the years. Last spring Sean Miller said "We have no one who can guard him". Good Luck this year. He carried the team to another Elite Eight.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... nm/slide/7
BEXU

Postby Irishdawg » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:22 pm

Yeah I just don't see how Martin's rated ahead of Bluiett either.
Irishdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board