Marquette vs. UW-Milwaukee (Preseason)

The home for Big East hoops

Postby notkirkcameron » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:14 am

On Sunday, Marquette will play an exhibition game against UW-Milwaukee at the Al McGuire Center.

100% of the net profits are being donated to hurricane relief around the country (Marquette legend Butch Lee is from Puerto Rico). Given the nature of the game as a charity fundraiser, there will be no live stream or television. Marquette received a waiver from the NCAA to play an extra exhibition game against a D-1 opponent in UW-Milwaukee.

I feel compelled to note that Marquette leads the all-time series over their purported cross-town rivals 39-0, in a series that dates back to 1917. It is the second-longest active winning streak by one college basketball team over another college basketball team (Syracuse has beaten Colgate 51 times in a row).

History of the MU-UWM "Rivalry"
For those fans of other Big East schools, who may not be as familiar, the Marquette-Panther High "rivalry" is a profoundly stupid rivalry because only one school gets excited for it, and because it arguably reached its interest zenith when games weren't even being played.

In 2003, UW-Milwaukee made their first NCAA Tournament appearance ever. UWM almost pulled a 12/5 upset in the first round over Notre Dame that year, while Marquette marched to the Final Four. At the time, Marquette and UWM hadn't met since a six-game series played from the 1993-94 season to the 1999-2000 season. Marquette won those six games by an average of 24 points.

Nevertheless, bloviating blowhard and UWM head coach Bruce Pearl pled his case to the local media, suggesting that Marquette wouldn't put UWM on the schedule because Marquette was "scared" that UWM might beat them (reasoning generally more common among nine-year-olds). It was further suggested that an annual game against UWM would be a far bigger draw for Marquette than any other regularly scheduled buy game. This sabre-rattling from UWM continued over the next few years, especially as UWM went to the Sweet 16 in 2005, while Marquette was resigned to the NIT. Marquette was open to a series with UWM, but only on the same terms that UWM gave the University of Wisconsin-Madison (4-for-1). Pearl wanted a home-and-home series, which was never going to happen between a Big East program and a Horizon League opponent for obvious reasons.

After Pearl left for Tennessee in 2005 and removed his ego from the equation, the grown-ups at UWM and Marquette agreed to a five-game series -- 4 games at Marquette, and 1 at UWM's home arena, to begin in the 2007-08 season. Marquette won the first game by 35 points, with Marquette setting a Bradley Center record for made field goals (40). MU won the four remaining games by an average of more than 14 points, and won by less than ten only once. Attendance for the game dropped each year. UWM has not appeared on the Marquette schedule since the 2011-12 season.

Regardless of the past drama, this should be a great event, and hopefully raises a lot of money for hurricane relief
Al McGuire: "What is this?"
Waiter: "Mr. McGuire, that is a cull lobster. Sometimes when the lobsters are in the tank, they fight. This one lost a claw."
Al McGuire: "Well then take this one away and bring me the winner."
notkirkcameron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Marquette vs. UW-Milwaukee (Preseason)

Postby bluejayfanatic » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:23 am

Spooky. It's almost like history is starting to repeat itself in Omaha with Creighton and Nebraska-Omaha taking the place of Marquette and Wisconsin-Milwaukee, respectively.
bluejayfanatic

Postby billyjack » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks notkirkcameron for this thread. I didn't realize Pearl was at Milwaukee.

I'm a huge fan of reading stories like this of schools' histories and stories. Keep them coming.
Providence
billyjack

Postby MUBoxer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:58 am

With Rowsey suspended, Howard having tweaked his ankle last night, Morrow red shirting frolling not eligible and Haanif still not cleared for full contact it is a realistic possibility that we lose this game. Of course those are ifs, it’s possibly Haanif is cleared tomorrow and Howard’s fine and wojo relaxes the suspension on Rowsey.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby MUPanther » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:12 pm

Ya, I won't get into the B'S that comes from both sides, but Sunday will be fun.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:18 am

I, for one, hope UWM isn't on the yearly schedule. I'm fine with hosting them ever couple of years, but by no means should this be a yearly rivalry. UWM benefits a lot more from it than Marquette does.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:24 pm

Jays lost 91-79 at Minnesota today.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby MUBoxer » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:03 pm

MU 78 UWM 63. Got it together after a rocky start.

Hauser with 27 pts and 10reb.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby notkirkcameron » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:58 am

UWM has taken the floor against Marquette forty times and forty times has come up short. In those 40 losses, UWM has only lost by less than 10 points only once since the 1930s.

Glad to see that $30K+ was raised for hurricane relief, and glad to see that MU got some "game" action prior to the season, but UWM shouldn't be on MU's schedule. MU gets nothing from a win over the Panthers, whereas a loss would be a program-defining win for UWM.
Al McGuire: "What is this?"
Waiter: "Mr. McGuire, that is a cull lobster. Sometimes when the lobsters are in the tank, they fight. This one lost a claw."
Al McGuire: "Well then take this one away and bring me the winner."
notkirkcameron

Postby milksteak » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:07 am

notkirkcameron wrote:UWM has taken the floor against Marquette forty times and forty times has come up short. In those 40 losses, UWM has only lost by less than 10 points only once since the 1930s.

Glad to see that $30K+ was raised for hurricane relief, and glad to see that MU got some "game" action prior to the season, but UWM shouldn't be on MU's schedule. MU gets nothing from a win over the Panthers, whereas a loss would be a program-defining win for UWM.

But you can schedule juggernauts like American and Chicago St.?

Marquette should have buy games with UWM. No reason not to. Maybe every other year. It’s good for the city. I agree that Marquette shouldn’t have a series with them though. Maybe a 2&1 when they get their athletics department in order.

We have buy games with IUPUI once every couple of seasons or so, and it really doesn’t harm us in any way.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board