preseason poll out

The home for Big East hoops

Re: preseason poll out

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:41 pm

No great mystery. That CU team was a great shooting team. They started hot that game, and stayed hot. Shoot 60-70% and a team can beat anybody. It turns to a rout if the opponent can't match the percentages. Most like to point to their embarrassment the previous game, but good shooters are supposed to have short memory- shooters shoot.

That was then...history. What have you (myJays) done for me lately (I am focused on this season)? Just sayin'...
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:32 am

It will be interesting to see how much Creighton misses Patton, Butler misses Holtmann, Marquette misses Fischer, etc. I think it's being minimized how big those losses are. The only team I'd expect to not skip a beat even after losing countless great players is Villanova. I think Creighton and Butler are pretty big question marks and PC is being hyped over Seton Hall. Don't get me wrong, all should be good teams but I think SH will be better than Creighton and PC and PC finishing 5th or 6th wouldn't shock me.

Tier 1:
Villanova
Xavier
Seton Hall

Tier 2:
PC
Creighton
SJ
Marquette
Butler

Tier 3:
Georgetown
DePaul

I believe Tiers 1 and 3 are a safe bet, however anything can happen in Tier 2. There should be 2-3 bids up for grabs in Tier 2. Could be any.
MullinMayhem

Postby milksteak » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:51 am

MullinMayhem wrote:PC is being hyped over Seton Hall.

PC returns pretty much everyone. Holt is the only one that is sort of a question mark. Even if he doesn't play a single minute this season, PC retains something like 81% of its minutes from last year by my calculation. If he plays, that number jumps to ~94%. Plus, they bring in the 2nd-best class in the Big East.

I'd say the hype is pretty warranted. I'm more confident in Providence because there aren't any unknowns with them. Point guard and ball-handling is a huge question mark with Seton Hall.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby BigmanU » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:10 am

Tier 1:
Villanova

Tier 2:
Xavier
Seton Hall
PC

Tier 3:
Creighton
Butler
SJ
Marquette

Tier 4:
Georgetown
DePaul
BigmanU

Postby milksteak » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:25 am

BigmanU wrote:Tier 1:
Villanova

Tier 2:
Xavier
Seton Hall
PC

Tier 3:
Creighton
Butler
SJ
Marquette

Tier 4:
Georgetown
DePaul

Exactly how I would put it.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
milksteak

Postby stever20 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:29 am

exactly like how KP has it.

Nova #1

PC #25
X #26
SH #28

Butler #42
Creighton #45
Marquette #49
St John's #51

Georgetown #79
DePaul #119
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:30 am

milksteak wrote:

PC returns pretty much everyone. Holt is the only one that is sort of a question mark. Even if he doesn't play a single minute this season, PC retains something like 81% of its minutes from last year by my calculation. If he plays, that number jumps to ~94%. Plus, they bring in the 2nd-best class in the Big East.

I'd say the hype is pretty warranted. I'm more confident in Providence because there aren't any unknowns with them. Point guard and ball-handling is a huge question mark with Seton Hall.

I agree, having a point guard who was voted preseason All Big East 1st team sounds like a pretty big question mark...
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby milksteak » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:21 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
milksteak wrote:

I agree, having a point guard who was voted preseason All Big East 1st team sounds like a pretty big question mark...

Seton Hall is full of scorers (Carrington included), but it lacks a capable, true point guard. That's my biggest criticism of the roster. The Hall struggled mightily last year with ball security, and I expect that to continue this year.
milksteak

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:46 pm

milksteak wrote:Seton Hall is full of scorers (Carrington included), but it lacks a capable, true point guard. That's my biggest criticism of the roster. The Hall struggled mightily last year with ball security, and I expect that to continue this year.

That's not exactly true. Jordan Walker is a capable, true point guard. As a freshman, he'll back up Carrington, but he's expected to earn his fair share of minutes this year. Willard and Sha have shown a strong ability to develop point guards during their tenure here, so I expect that trend to continue and Carrington to show significant improvement in year 2 at the position (though perhaps not quite to the extent Whitehead did).

I'm not overly concerned about the turnovers because, as you said, they were there last year - and it was still a very good team. If there's significant improvement, this is a final four team. If there's not, it's still a very good top 25 team.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby NJRedman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
milksteak wrote:Seton Hall is full of scorers (Carrington included), but it lacks a capable, true point guard. That's my biggest criticism of the roster. The Hall struggled mightily last year with ball security, and I expect that to continue this year.

That's not exactly true. Jordan Walker is a capable, true point guard. As a freshman, he'll back up Carrington, but he's expected to earn his fair share of minutes this year. Willard and Sha have shown a strong ability to develop point guards during their tenure here, so I expect that trend to continue and Carrington to show significant improvement in year 2 at the position (though perhaps not quite to the extent Whitehead did).

I'm not overly concerned about the turnovers because, as you said, they were there last year - and it was still a very good team. If there's significant improvement, this is a final four team. If there's not, it's still a very good top 25 team.

NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board